Home Forums General Discussion Dosage

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    louris
    Participant

I was able to persuade my rheumatologist, during my most recent visit, to prescribe mino for my AS.  He has some familiarity with Dr. Brown and The Road Back, although I'm unsure how deep his knowledge goes.  He prescribed what I thought was 50mg bid every day for two weeks and then 50mg bid every other day.  I didn't read the formal prescription I submitted to the pharmacy, nor did I read the instructions on the bottle as I thought he said, during the appointment, that he was prescribing 50mg bid every other day after the initial two week period.  Well, when I picked the first refill up at pharmacy, I was a little shocked to receive only 50% of the pills that I thought I would receive.  I called his office and they confirmed that the script is for 50mg every other day.

I realize that AP is a long term committment and will likely take quite awhile until I see any benefits.  However, I can't now help wonder if this dosage was written for appeasement only (I thought I saw a similar post about this within the past week or two).  I also wonder if it would be worthwhile to consult with an AP doc to validate that this might be an effective regimen (and also for peace of mind).  I guess I am very unsettled about whether this dosage will be effective or not.

Does anybody use this low of a dose (50mg per day every other day)?  Would anyone recommend consulting with an AP doc?  Your experiences or opinions would be appreciated.  Thank you.

klogan
    Participant

Lots of us are on a dose this low – I take 50mg doxy MWF. And some take less. I read a post here from someone who has been on 25mg for a long time. It is so much better to start low and work up if you need to. If you start high (and depending on how you react, 100mg can be a very high start) you can herx pretty unbearably. Which is not necessary or healthy.

I would say that 50mg every other day is a great dosage. Every other day can help you get used to the mino and keep the yeast from getting too crazy. Many of us are on MWF for the long haul.

Rosey UK
    Participant

Hi

I read you are on doxy m-w-f as I am I have 100mg m- w- f.

Although I have a long way to go. I started treatment 50mg last october.

I was reading about a lady who has doctors in the family so was able to start with IV clindamcin like Dr Brown did and then minicycline 100mg 2 daily.

I wonder if I should have the IV but only have my GP with limited knowledge?

How long have you been on doxy and how are you?

Rosemary

klogan
    Participant

Rosemary,

I have been on doxy alone for 3 months.

Before that, I was on 50 mino/50 doxy for about 8 months. I did great during the summer – feeling much better. But in January, I started having a flare up, so I tried bumping my dosage up to 100/100 of mino/doxy, but mino seems to not agree with me – I had liver values elevated and lupus-like symptoms.
    So, I'm trying doxy at the low dose, taking my time, hope for some progress. I seem to be sensitive to both antibiotics and detox.
    Right now I am enjoying my May flare, with the roving joint pain, sore throat, and exciting mood swings (fun for the whole family!).

Not sure how hopeful to be. Trying to remember it takes a long time.

Rosey UK
    Participant

Klogan

you seem as bewildered bad as me.

It's not a good place to be. I hope it works out well for you soon.

I've been in severe pain all the time, so don't think it's herxing. Thats why I wonder if I should have additions. I have the doxy because of lupus too.

I read some of the testimonial yesturday and they do realy help.

Regards

Rosemary and thanks for reply

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘ Dosage’ is closed to new replies.