Home Forums General Discussion Doing well, do I switch from mino to doxy?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Airen
    Participant

I’m wondering if any of you with RA have successfully switched from mino to doxy? I am doing well and in full remission, thanks to mino. I had a derm appt yesterday to discuss lasering off some blue spots on my legs. First off he said no that the coloration would be too deep and would not work. Secondly, he was very alarmed that i take mino every day and have for years. He said it is very taxing on the liver and gut and recommended i get off mino immediately. i take high quality probiotics but i have definitely noticed an increase in tummy issues. (my digestion is great if i drink celery juice, but it’s too damn much work) So, he got me worried about long term antibiotic use. Can i successfully switch to doxy and keep the RA at bay? He recommended oracea 40 mg. it is a pelleted low dose doxy. he said it will not be bad on my tummy or other organs and can be safely taken long term. have any of you heard of this?

Diagnosed with RA in October 2014, pain started in February 2014
    Started AP in June 2015
    Taking daily: 32.5 mg WP thyroid 6 am, 100 mg mino 9 am, 16.25 mg WP thyroid 2 pm, B Complex for MTHFR mutation 3 pm, Multivitamin 3pm, 100 bil powdered probiotics 6 pm, 5-8,000 iu Vit D 6 pm, 100 mg mino 9 pm

Pinkmoth
    Keymaster

I think a lot of docs freak out when they hear about our long term use of any of these abx.

It would seem if you are doing well and have had labs run indicating that your liver isn’t suffering then there isn’t really a problem. yes the hyperpigmentation but there are things you can do to try to mitigate that reoccurring like vit C.

I know that id personally never risk relapse by switching as it doesn’t seem like doxy is as effective as mino for people who do that switch.

that being said a number of people on here do pulse in various other abx like doxy clinda clarith or azith to name a few.
    but I don’t think that’s any less of a demand on ones liver if that’s the concern.

Autoimmune: ANA positive speckled. Probable MCTD with SD overlap. Hashimoto's. Possible Erlos Danlos. Mold Illness.
    Infections: Bartonella, toxoplasmosis, mycoplasma, EBV
    Meds: minocycline (Zydus generic) 100mg 1x daily,
    Supps: digestive enzymes, Monolaurin, Betaine hydrochloric acid, iron, quercetin, biocidin

CMS12
    Participant

I switched to doxy because of bluing skin and eyes. Didn’t work for me. I’d stay on mino to maintain remission but reduce to 100 mg. MWF. At least that worked for me to maintain remission once I’d achieved that. My doc checks my liver count every six months because of the mino and I’m fine. Been on mino over 10 years. I do take liver support OTC 3x week. I know it helps because I had one lab where my count was on the higher end of normal. Started the liver support and next lab was much lower. PM me if you want the brand I take.

Hope that helps. Cindy

PhilC
    Participant

He said it is very taxing on the liver and gut and recommended i get off mino immediately. i take high quality probiotics but i have definitely noticed an increase in tummy issues.

Do you take your mino with food, or on an empty stomach?

Can i successfully switch to doxy and keep the RA at bay?

Possibly, but the only way to know for sure is to try it.

If you knew for sure (or with a reasonable degree of certainty) that the infection is gone, you could stop taking the mino. A possible way to test that is to do pulses with a bactericidal antibiotic (e.g., tinidazole). If the bactericidal antibiotic makes you herx, then you know you’re still infected. This could potentially also be accomplished using some antibiotic herbs.

He recommended oracea 40 mg. it is a pelleted low dose doxy. he said it will not be bad on my tummy or other organs and can be safely taken long term.

That may be suitable for treating acne or rosacea, but it’s unlikely to be suitable for what you’re trying to accomplish.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Spiffy1

Airen, I agree with Pinkmoth. If I were in your position and with your doc’s Permission I would think about dropping down to 100 milligrams twice a day Monday Wednesday Friday and see how that works for you and then in a bit slowly titrate down to 100 mgs. MWF. I would ask the benefits of maintaining drug consistency but with a different time schedule. This is what I have been doing for years and am pretty much symptom free yet I did not lose my RA factor on this dose. Let us know what you decide to do. But what a great problem to have! Congratulations!

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Airen
    It seems to me that your dermatologist may be somewhat misinformed. If you look at the ACR’s Guidelines 2008, minocycline is one of only 2 DMARDS (as it refers to minocycline) that they do not recommend follow-up liver tests (after baseline is taken) because it is not known for its negative effect on the liver. My GP originally had no problem prescribing me mincocyline when I requested it back in 2001 because it is such a relatively benign drug (his descriptor, not mine).See here (page 75 for the table re liver tests). I know these were updated in 2012 but I cannot find anything different about minocycline.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Airen
    Participant

thank you all for your replies! I will continue to titrate down and see if I can retain remission at 100 mg MWF.

Diagnosed with RA in October 2014, pain started in February 2014
    Started AP in June 2015
    Taking daily: 32.5 mg WP thyroid 6 am, 100 mg mino 9 am, 16.25 mg WP thyroid 2 pm, B Complex for MTHFR mutation 3 pm, Multivitamin 3pm, 100 bil powdered probiotics 6 pm, 5-8,000 iu Vit D 6 pm, 100 mg mino 9 pm

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.