Home Forums General Discussion Does Minocin work for osteoarthritis ?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    katieb
    Participant

Hello Guys ! First post here for me !

I've been suffering with painful feet and hands for a few months. In April my GP (General Practitioner her in UK) took a blood test which showed RF 61, but other things all normal. In the month it took to get a rheumy appointment I was convinced I had RA and my hands have continued to get progressively stiffer and more painful. I was really surprized when the rheumy said it was Osteoerthritis as she couldn't find soft tissue swelling. But I also suspect I have Sjorgrens as my mouth is very dry – awaiting results of another blood test for that ! Also I now have lots of twingy bits round my knees & groin & have had to stop my usual running.

To cut a long story short, assuming the rheumy is right, does anyone know whether Minocin can be effective for OA. And has anyone experienced OA getting worse this quickly ?

😕

Hermsi
    Participant

Hi Katie,

Also my first post on the new board, kudos to those who set it up.

My experience is that Mino works for a sudden onset of OA.

Please look over my Osteoarthritis page in my sig.

Ron

Pip
    Participant

My mom and my FIL just started AP for OA.  Hubby is in the process of starting for OA and DDD.  I just searched PubMed and printed off about 2 pages of studies for mino and doxy and OA.

Hugs,

Pip and Hi and Welcome!

linda
    Participant

I don't know about minocin's effect on OA, but I had an interesting conversation with the nurse at my last dr. appt. She said that she had a friend who had developed OA so badly that she was unable to work (she was a nurse). None of the doctors she saw were able to help her much, so she went to a naturopath. He told her to take vitamin B6, and after a few months she was back at work; that was 10 yrs ago and she's still working at the age of 75. I tried to find out more about this on the internet, but there isn't very much information. It seems that you can find articles about every vitamin and its benefits for all kinds of arthritis, so take this with a grain of salt. I did find one short article about a study involvinbg B6. Hope it helps, here's the url.

There is also a short article on the effects of B6 on RA. Remember that large doses of B6 over a long period of time does cause nerve damage.

linda

katieb
    Participant

Hi Ron, Pip and Linda !

Thanks for these great helpful replies.

Ron your oestearthritis page has some incredible stories ! I could have Lyme's as am often in places where there are sheep & deer ticks, and have certainly been bitten before but never noticed a rash. I know where I can get a 'good' test in the UK but it would cost me

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

katieb – not sure how close you are but there is a very experienced AP Doc in Surrey. If it were me, I'd be getting an opinion early on – AP is known to have  extremely good results with people who are newly diagnosed/symptomatic. I will PM you the details (click on messages above right). Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

katieb
    Participant

Hi Lynnie,
        Many thanks for this. In fact I have already made contact with Dr H, who is being very supportive – in fact with him and this wonderful forum I already feel kind of nurtured, which certainly helps in coping with the symptoms !

Surrey is about a 3 1/2 hour drive for me, but not far from my mom, and certainly worth the effort.

We are awaiting a 'proper' diagnosis from the NHS (horribly slow), but Dr H thinks it sounds more rheumatoid from my descriptions.

Will let you know what transpires.

Thanks again,  Katie

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘ Does Minocin work for osteoarthritis ?’ is closed to new replies.