Home Forums General Discussion Does Connective Tissue Disease make you look older?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    kimberly_studio
    Participant

Hey they say you will look 10 years older with a connective tissue disorder?? I have noticed it on me…has anyone else noticed that, and the book said that whenyou go on ap that can all change?? Is that true too??

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Kim…yes, I definitely aged, pretty much overnight….and while I'd like to think it's reversed some, I think you'd have to ask my family their opinions. :roll-laugh: Seriously, though, I think the aged look has improved as I've improved since going through the time machine into the distant future, literally overnight, that I did a couple years ago.

Peace, Maz

kimberly_studio
    Participant

anyone else on thsi please?

awesomemb
    Participant

I dont think that is always true. I have felt physically old, but most people over the years have been surprised when they find out how old I am. My complexion is nice and have only recently gotten some wrinkles around eyes. Thanks to Mino. My arthritic hands are what make me look old. Mino is finally causing me to put on some needed weight. Regards 😀

MaryP
    Participant

Every wrinkle I had totally vanished as my SD worsened. Only in the several months, as my facial skin tightening and thickness have begun to lessen, are just the vague beginnings of wrinkles appearing.

Never thought I'd look forward to seeing wrinkles!! 🙂

This skin on my hands is now just loose enough that a vein or two are beginning to show! I think I'm a ways off from hand wrinkles, but I'll look at it as a good sign for me.

JeffN
    Participant

Mary P I'm with you – wrinkles are beautiful. When My SD was really cranking my forehead was really tight. After about nine months on AP one day I noticed that my forehead was wrinkly again, My forehead had always, before SD, been kind of wrinkly but now it was back. I took that as a very good sign! My fingers are much less swollen than before and the backs of my hands have veins showing etc. This summer I ran into someone I had not seen in over a year (and they understand the nature of the disease) and  complimented me on my wrinkles. I told her that I had gone from Sclero Boy to Elephant Man. 🙂 In short I looked younger when I felt terrible, I much perfer the opposite. Maybe it is easier for a guy but I'd rather feel good any day.

Goodwife
    Participant

Kimberly,

My hubby was 37, almost 38 when dx with SD.  He has always been physically fit, still has all his hair(!) etc.  He is now 41 – I notice subtle changes in his appearance, but definitely not that much 'aging' .  Actually, we told very few people of his dx, and those were the only people who knew something was wrong – there was a period of time (fall '06) on the inflammatory diet, where he lost more weight than he needed to, a few people noticed that, but other than that, his “illness' was never visible in terms of age.

SusanSD
    Participant

I don't think that SD aged me, but having a newborn at the time of my SD symptoms sure made me feel older (and sleep deprivation didn't help)! Like Jeff I've been happy to regain my wrinkles.

I have been on AP 2 yrs and started a new job a couple months ago. These new coworkers thought that I was in my 30s, which I am not. I was just tickled to be temporarily 30-something.

Good friends that I see only once or twice a year did remark to me that they saw a visible difference from my first year with SD and no AP to the second year – when I was on AP. In other words, I looked better.

Goodwife
    Participant

Yes, I will second susan's observation – although he started ap only a few months after dx, I think he has steadily looked healthier, etc. since being on AP -my family concurs.

linda
    Participant

I used to get comments from people when they found out how old I was, they always thought I was about 7 yrs younger than I was. However, in the last 2 yrs I have aged, altho we are our own worst critics, I think I look 10 yrs older than my current age. I do remember reading in Scammell's book somewhere that we begin to look younger as we improve, I think that's probably true. When I was in drug dependent remission 4 ys ago I started getting the “you look younger than that” comments again, but since relapsing those comments have disappeared. I think part of it is simply that the fatigue and pain show up in our face,. I am constantly finding myself grimacing in pain without realizing it, and I can see wrinkles developing along those grimace lines. I guess there is some truth to the old adage, “Your face will freeze like that!”:X

The last time I saw a dear friend with severe RA before she died, her hair was completely grey and she looked at least 50, she had looked that old for several yrs; she was 42 when she died from complications from the RA. I know it's not the most important “symptom” to be concerned about, but I do hope that Dr.
    Brown was correct about looking younger when in remission.

I don't think it applies only to those of us with autoimmune dx, when someone who has been healthy develops cancer or other serious illnesses, they seem to age overnight as well.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘ Does Connective Tissue Disease make you look older?’ is closed to new replies.