Home Forums General Discussion Does anyone know

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Roz
    Participant

how long a reg. MD or Internal Med Doc, learn and train about Lyme Disease?

The reason why I am asking, is because I had a couple Doc's with their heart that seemed in the right place that suggested Lyme to me. Prior to me having the right treatment. But they didn't treat it.

One even said you didn't here it from me but I think you have R/A due to Lyme.

How much training due they have about TBI?

Much Love To All, Roz

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=1758]Roz[/user] wrote:

how long a reg. MD or Internal Med Doc, learn and train about Lyme Disease?

Hi Roz,

I don't know how much training is received – maybe a short chapter in a microbiology book (?), but I suspect very little, because Lyme is described in mainstream literature as limited to certain areas of the country, rare and hard to get, easy to diagnose, easy to test for and easy to treat with a short course of antibiotics. 😕 ILADs runs physician training symposiums for this purpose. There is one coming up in London in early June and another in NYC, I think, in the fall…but docs have to be interested enough to pay to go and most don't want to get involved in the debate.

I think most docs probably have an inkling how bad the Lyme situation has become, but are too afraid to treat it, because these docs are being targeted, both by their peers and insurance companies (who don't want it to be more than a short course of antibiotics). The IDSA panelists who drew up the restrictive Lyme tx guidelines were found to have serious conflicts of interest, because they were receiving nice sums of money for consulting with insurance companies for saying Lyme was easy to diagnose and treat.

Peace, Maz

mschmidt
    Participant

Just going to add my 2 cents worth here.  My brother is an MD, and said they had less than a week on Lyme Disease.  What's interesting is he did his undergraduate studies at UW-La Crosse (a hotbed for ticks in Wisconsin), and spent an entire semester studying the effects of Lyme disease.  He said they were sent out into the woods, in big white suits, covered from head to toe, and their job was to collect as many ticks as possible, which was easy to do.  They'd bring them back to the lab, crush their bellies, and look at them under microscopes.  The college had a huge grant and relationship with Mayo Clinic, in their research department, as well as a relationship with Marshfield Clinic, who has a Lyme Research Foundation. (and is my hometown…)  So, he learned more about Lyme disease when he was an undergraduate science student than when he was in medical school.  That was 12 years ago, and I don't think much has changed since then.

Maria

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘ Does anyone know’ is closed to new replies.