Home Forums General Discussion Does anyone know about elevated platelets

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    amyid
    Participant

Hello everyone.

Last week I had my blood work done at my Rheumatologists to make sure liver enzymes, CBC, etc. was normal.  I am back on a lower does of Methotrexate and still on my 200 mg MWF, Mino.  I have been doing better since my last flare a week and half ago.  However, my test results showed an increase in my platelets.  They were only mildly elevated. (150-400 normal and mine were at 411).  All other blood work looked normal.

My Rheum said not to worry, that it can be from the inflammation that RA causes.  Does anyone know if this number can fluctuate a lot with inflammation?  Is that a common side effect of MTX, I thought it can interefere with normal marrow fuction?

Any advice/info is greatly appreciated.

Hope you all had a nice weekend.  I was off camping with my family and forgetting all about RA (and enjoying how much better I have been feeling:blush:) ….Then came home to the test results in the mail…hello real world!:doh:

Peace,

Amy

DX Rheumatoid Arthritis- 3/2008, Began AP 8/2008-continued various forms of AP through present. It's long and complicated- have a question re: my protocol, just ask 🙂

superperroRA
    Participant

I have an elevated platelets count (462) too. It can be a sign that your body is fighting an infection. It occurs with some RA patients, but I don't think rheumies understand why. (In my case, my other blood readings show that I also have hemolytic anemia, which is why I think I have Babesiosis, but the Quest Labs test came out negative:headbang:)

Trudi
    Participant

I too have an elevated count–I think 480; my doctor said not to worry–many variables are involved.

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

louris
    Participant

Mine are routinely elevated (500 – 675).  My doctors have told me that it is related to my seeming chronic anemia.  My best guess what is causing the anemia is a porous gut and routine blood loss through my GI tract (however, blood is not visually detectable).  When I work to resolve the anemia (i.e. hemoglobin levels are close to or within normal), my platelet count starts to normalize.  I don't have RA, I have AS.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘ Does anyone know about elevated platelets’ is closed to new replies.