Home Forums General Discussion Does any doctor trat arthritis with antibiotics in Spain?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    AliRigden
    Participant

Hi everyone, ive recently discovered all this about treating arthritis with antibiotics. I am 22 and have had arthritis in one knee for 4 years. I have had it in an elbow as well, but that was resolved with steroids, but my knee refuses to get better. I have been on metotrexate, NSAIDS, steroids, Yttrium injection in the knee, and nothing works, and this antibiotic therapy is a new hope for me.

But the problem is that Ive no idea of any doctor here in Spain who uses this therapy. Does anyone have any idea?

I must say its great to be able to talk about this with people in the same situation or similar. I just wish that some doctors would be more open minded and care about ther patients, not for their ego.

Wishing you all the best

Ali

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Ali,

So glad you found this site, too…it's been a life-saver for me.

Not sure if there are any AP docs in Spain, but if you drop a note to apdoctors@roadback.org, RBF volunteer, Diane, will share with you what she has listed.

An alternative is to print off the physician packet from the main website, which you'll find under the Education tab, and take a copy of that to your general practitioner and ask if they will prescribe minocycline for you.

Fortunately, this is a pretty innocuous drug, prescribed to teens for their acne on a long term basis, so it's not like you'd asking for the moon and docs use therapeutic probes all the time to test different drugs on patients to see what works and what doesn't. Also, you could print off the MIRA Trials study, which was published in 1995, after which the American College of Rheumatology approved minocycline as a (for off-label use) DMARD for rheumatoid arthritis. 🙂  Many of the standard drugs used for RA are “off-label,” meaning they were originally designed for other diseases….like methotrexate, which is a cancer drug or plaquenil, which is an anti-malarial, for instance.

So, if you have no luck with finding a doctor on the RBF list, then you could also try some charm in “converting” one to it ;)…some docs are more open than others to try new things, but the persistance is worth it! This therapy works for me.

Peace, Maz

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

There is one AP doctor one the RBF list for Spain.  I will send you a Personal Message (PM) with the contact details which includes a link to a website.

Also, here is a link to the area where you can request a doctor from the ACAM.org website.  These doctors are alternative medicine doctors and may be more open to treatments that are viewed as outside of the mainstream.  However, I do know that some of these doctors are as opposed to the use of antibiotic as the mainstream rheumatologist would be, just for different reasons.  Many of them believe that rheumatic illness can be fully treated and controlled by diet and other more natural or nonpharmcuitcal modes. 

http://www.acamnet.org/site/apps/kb/cs/contactsearch.asp?c=ltJWJ4MPIwE&b=2242497&raw=

These doctors are not on the listing of AP doctors that RBF maintains, but it is a place to begin looking.

Good Luck!

Cheryl Ferguson

AliRigden
    Participant

Hi again! Thankyou soooo much for your help!!

Im a really nervous person when it comes to talking to doctors, because they are so… rude? They dont want to listen to advice from anyone and less still from a patient… at least here in Spain they are like that. So i get really nervous.

The doctor on the list is from the Canary Islands, which is very far away from where I live… I live in the north of Spain. But at least its an option!

Ive always thought antibiotics might be my solution, because when ive happened to have a bad throat and the doctor has prescribed me Azithromycin 500 my knee has improved amazingly.

Actually I am taking Azithromycin on my own accord, because here its easy to get antibiotics off prescription. I know its not the right thing to do but we all know that antibiotics arent very dangerous and well, im sure you can understand how i feel. Im taking 3 a week, and i started on Friday. But thats why im looking for a doctor to follow my case, because i dont like taking medicine without prescription.

On tuesday I have an appointment with my rheumy, and I dont know what to say to him. i'll probably begin by asking him if he has heard about treating arthritis with antibiotics, see what he says.

Thankyou so much for your help.

Wishing you all good health.

XXX

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

AliRigden – I think we've all experienced doctors who have what I call the “arrogant gene”! If your rheumie is not open to AP, you may well find that, if you print off the Physicians Packet (available from Home Page of this site: run your browser up to Education at top right and you'll see it in the drop-down menu), some holistic and/or open-minded general practitioners are willing to try this treatment with you. That is also because the abx used are generally exceptionally benign – e.g. minocycline is a drug prescribed long-term for teenage acne and is considered pretty benign when compared to the 'heavy duty' traditional RA meds. Best of luck in your quest. Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘ Does any doctor trat arthritis with antibiotics in Spain?’ is closed to new replies.