Home Forums General Discussion DMARD & NSAID versus AP

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    David C
    Participant

Hi I'm new to the site and was diagnosed with RA 2 months ago. The disease is progressing rapidly and have made an appointment with Dr T. in Boston ready for AP next week.  I'm currently on DMARD and NSAID for 2 months already and doesn't seem to be working on me.  I wonder whether it's a good idea to just drop the medication before starting AP. By the way, I had a blood test done last week and the hemoglobin and hematocrit level has dropped. Wonder whether it's normal on RA patients. Any advise will be a great comfort.

Joe M
    Participant

Hi David,

What DMARD and NSAID have you been taking?  If they aren't working, shouldn't be a problem just stopping, unless you are talking about prednisone.  The others really have no physical dependence issues that I know of, but Dr. T will be able to guide you in the right direction.  Good luck!

Joe

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Welcome David! Just to add to what Joe has said, some DMARDS do take a considerable while to kick in in terms of effectiveness. It would probably help people know how best to respond if you shared some details of what you have been prescribed – there is lots of combined experience on this Board! Agree with Joe, Dr T is very highly thought of and am sure will be of great help to you. In terms of low hemglobin and hematocrit, my understanding (as a fellow patient) is both of these can indicate a level of anemia – something that is pretty common in people with rheumatoid disease. Dt T will be able to answer all these questions (and a whole lot more!) when you see him.

There is also a wealth of information that you can access from the Education section of our main site http://www.roadback.org and it would also be useful to read the book The New Arthritis Breakthrough (available from amazon). The good news is that many people who come to Antibiotic Therapy early after their diagnosis tend to have a very good response. Best to you, David. You will find this Board and the people on it extremely helpful and supportive. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

BeatingRA
    Participant

Hi David,

Welcome to the group.  I also see Dr T and was on prednisone when I started seeing him 2 years ago.  He worked with me to taper off the prednisone.  I'm not a doctor or medical professional at all but if it was me and I was just going to start seeing him next week, I'd probably just wait instead of stopping the meds on my own.  I also have low HGB and HCT and was already being treated by my primary care physician for that before I went to Dr T so I don't have any experience with him on that.

Good luck with your visit.

Theresa

David C
    Participant

Hi All

Thank you for your quick response and support. I'm actually on Sulphasalazine & Naproxen prescribed by my Rheumy whom I can't really communicate well in terms of my health questions. In fact, the blood test done last week was authorized by another rheumy I visited for second opinion wise. 

My C-reactive protein level has jumped from negative – 0.3 mg/dl? (normal range is >0.8mg/dl) 2 months ago to 1.2 high beside the low hemoglobin level. Not to mention other factors like ESR and CPP LGG which I have not tested yet. The disease is really progressing at a very scary pace which had given me lots of worries. I was walking fine 2 months ago (even jogging before that) until some weird thing going on my left knee which I have to walk with great care now (kind of limbing a little bit).  

Really glad that I found this site and the prompt support you guys have given. Just receive “The New Arthritis Breakthrough” book yesterday and I'm looking forward to a Road Back journey with AP.

Talk to you again

David C 

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

David – I was on sulfasalazine for some time before I discovered AP. It took about 3 months before any effect kicked in. In terms of naproxyn, I dont believe there are any dependency issues – simply ad hoc anti-inflammatory pain relief. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

marg
    Participant

David, when my adult daughter developed RA, it was sudden and very severe.  Most of her joints were swollen and painful. She had trouble walking, getting in and out of bed, couldn't chew solid food ( jaws swollen), hands and elbows a mess and so on.

She started AP 3 months in and after a few weeks tweaking the dosage experienced much improvement fairly quickly. When she saw her rheumy 3 months after that, only one finger still had a purple swollen joint and that went down not too long after. NOw 3 years later she continues taking Minocin and rarely has symptoms.

I wish you the same good luck! You have the advantage of seeing an experienced AP doctor so hope all goes well.

David C
    Participant

Hi Marg,

Your daughter's recovery with AP is very encouraging and I pray that the same will work out for me and all the people on this site. Will keep everyone update about my progress.

Thanks again

David C

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ DMARD & NSAID versus AP’ is closed to new replies.