Home Forums General Discussion discolored skin

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Eggs
    Participant

i know the mino can cause skin discoloration and have noticed some dark splotches on my face. i was wondering if anyone knew of anything that can help. i had a bunch of splotches on my legs before but those went away, i was just hoping someone had any ideas as far as creams or maybe vitamins since it is more noticable on my face. :blush: anyways thanks like always guys!!!

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Eggs – I take 1000mg Vit C on non-abx days to help prevent skin discoloration. This is something that alot of docs suggest. There was a thread discussing this a few months back. I am pasting the link below for you. Lynnie

http://www.rbfbb.org/view_topic.php?id=1145&forum_id=1&highlight=skin+discoloration

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Eggs
    Participant

lynnie-
    thanks for the reply. my only question is why only on non abx days? is their an interaction concern? i take mino everyday so was just concerned. thanks 🙂

MaryP
    Participant

I think everyone's docs may have different opinions, but mine told me not to supplement vitamin C, as it is tied closely to collagen production.  As I said, that's the advice I got from my doc.

About the patchiness, I have the red spots and vitaligo on my face.  I use the bare minerals powder and it covers them nicely.  It may help you even things out.  Just a note that as I'm getting better, the vitaligo is getting better.  

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Eggs – you may need to check the Vitamin C thing with your AP doc, I dont know about SD. The non-abx days were as advised by my AP doc. I only take abx 2 days per week, so that leaves me 5 over. Think because I am taking 3 abx am/noon/eve, it just keeps all vitamins, minerals, supps well away from them. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=53]MaryP[/user] wrote:

I think everyone's docs may have different opinions, but mine told me not to supplement vitamin C, as it is tied closely to collagen production.  As I said, that's the advice I got from my doc.

Hi Mary,

It's important that you brought the Vit C question up. Your doc is probably right on about the avoidance of Vit C and scleroderma. Vitamin C promotes the body's production of collagen and scleroderma and involves the an overproduction of collagen in collagen-rich tissues. So it would very likely be working counterproductively to take additional Vit C. (There are probably better sites than the following, but it was one of the first to come up).

http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/10/103.cfm

“Dr. Blau does not recommend supplemental vitamin C for people with scleroderma, however. (Vitamin C is also an antioxidant.) That's because vitamin C promotes the body's production of collagen, and scleroderma involves the overproduction of collagen. In fact, one study attempted to treat scleroderma by putting people on a very low vitamin C diet. “We never found out whether a vitamin C-deficient diet helped,” Dr. Blau explains. “Vitamin C is found in so many foods that it was impossible to keep people on a C-deficient diet.” He does not tell his patients with scleroderma to avoid eating vitamin C-rich foods.”  

In the case of RA, however, the problem isn't overproduction of collagen, but the opposite – the destruction of collagen in the joints and sometimes the tissues, too. Vit C has been shown to have protective effects for RA (though not osteoarthritis) in terms of its antioxidative effects in reducing inflammation, fighting infection and collagen synthesis.

http://arthritis.about.com/od/preventionandriskfactors/a/vitaminc.htm

http://www.webmd.com/rheumatoid-arthritis/news/20040609/vitamin-c-may-fight-rheumatoid-arthritis

On another note, however there are patients who have Scleroderma with RA overlap, so they have both things going on simulataneously…collagen breakdown in the joints, but an overabundance of collagen in the skin. 😕 The jury is out on Vit C supplementation in these cases, but I think in that situation I'd personally err on the side of Vit C supplementation avoidance. Folk with MCTD might be able to add something here.

The thing about minocycline hyperpigmentation in scleroderma is that most people will just consider this as one of those minor inconveniences they are willing to put up with to reverse the disease.

In the case of RAers, however, Vit C probably has both joint protective properties and the ability to help the body better assimilate iron (likely the cause of the gray/blue buildup of pigmentation in the skin) thus helping to prevent the hyperpigmentation.

Peace, Maz

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Eggs;
          Once you are better and can drop your mino dosage to roughly what I take you will see your skin lighten up.It took me about 2 years to lose my muddy head to toe tan

Kim
    Participant

[user=27]Maz[/user] wrote:

On another note, however there are patients who have Scleroderma with RA overlap, so they have both things going on simulataneously…collagen breakdown in the joints, but an overabundance of collagen in the skin. 😕 The jury is out on Vit C supplementation in these cases, but I think in that situation I'd personally err on the side of Vit C supplementation avoidance. Folk with MCTD might be able to add something here.

I have the SD/RA overlap and can't tell any difference with Vit C, or without.  A diet avoiding fruits and vegetables just wouldn't work for me.  The most beneficial things I've done are healthy diet,  enzymes, and sauna for circulation and detox.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ discolored skin’ is closed to new replies.