Home Forums General Discussion Diflucan herx

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ros
    Participant

i'm really struggling with candida at the moment. I've had it at a lowish level for about 10 years because of being on inhaled cortisone for asthma, but with the antibiotics it's become much worse (still better than RA pain though). I've used acidophilus, nystatin powder and diet (no sugar, dairy or gluten) for about 8 years to keep it somewhat under control but when I got thrush both ends recently I decided to ask my doctor for Diflucan (fluconazole). He was a bit reluctant but gave me a script.

I took 200mg a day for two weeks and felt terrible the whole time – hot and cold sweats, nausea, unbearable joint and muscle pain (took prednisone, NSAIDS and paracetamol to handle it), brain fog and exhaustion. Eventually I stopped it and the pain stopped. Then I took it for one day about two weeks later and had all those symptoms again for only the one day. I'm assuming they are a herx and wonder if anyone has any tips for how to live with it. Or could they be a sensitivity to the drug? I still have candida bloating (but not thrush), headaches and fatigue, and am on nystatin again.

What else can I do? The dr says to stop the antibiotics and take methotrexate! No way!

Also, how much acidophilus should I be taking? I'm having 2-3 capsules a day which each contain 25 billion lactobacillus and 25 billion bifidobacterium. I'm in Australia so can't get the ones Maz takes.

If anyone has any advice on what I could try I'd be grateful. I've done a search and found some advice but have tried everything but it keeps coming back.

Ros

RA, fibromyalgia, sjogren's, asthma, candida

kathyo
    Participant

I herxed severely from Diflucan too. I was in bed and so tired. I could not handle it.

I am currently using “Oregamax”(oregano and garlic). I had to start with 1/4 tablet each eve before bed. One full capsule was too strong to start with. Just one drop of “Oreganol” (oil of Oregano) floored me too. I was in bed the whole next day – fatigued. I am also using Biocidin (one or two drops before bed). I am gradually increasing these and will work my way up to the Oreganol (oil) which is more powerful then the powder capsules. These do a great job at dealing with yeast and viral stuff from what I have read. The key is using “Wild Mediterraean Oregano”. Other oregano products may not have the same strength or potency from what my local health food store and others have told me.

I was hesitant to rely on natural products but I am very happy that I gave it a chance. I was surprised by the herx from oregano of all things! Hope this helps.

K

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Jo – if it were me with a bad candida problem, I would use the Diflucan but perhaps a bit more sparingly than you have. It sounds like a herx – which you may need help with to manage. I know that some on the board take Diflucan very regularly – best to go to that Board and ask some questions if you want to continue. Think people get their livers regularly tested when doing that. And, again, if it were me, I'd be using some Milk Thistle as liver support while on it. I'd also cut out fermented products from my diet and, wherever possible, sugar. I'd also take a good probiotic am/pm every day to help stop the problem returning. BTW I used oil of wild oregano on 2 occasions – and found just one drop in water gave me an unbearable herx, had to go to bed in the afternoon. Hope you can work something out. Lynnie [/color]

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Ros
    Participant

Thanks Kathy and Lynnie

I'll go and find some oregano oil. I had heard of it some time ago but forgot about it, probably because people said it was so strong! I'm glad to hear others had bad reactions to it because I wasn't absolutely sure whether it was the Diflucan or some virus that had hit me. My doc hadn't heard of it making pain worse and looked sceptical when I told him.

Ros

Donna RA
    Participant

JO,

I've had my share of herxing from Diflucan too. Have you ever considered colonics?  I know the topic is somewhat taboo, however, I am finding them to be beneficial with regards to my own candida problem.  That along with diet, and some yeast fighting supplement should help. 
    :blush:
    Donna RA

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘ Diflucan herx’ is closed to new replies.