Home Forums General Discussion Diet

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    lizbeth
    Participant

Just wondering if everyone on this site has been asked to go on a diet e.g. gluten free etc.  Are there any out there who still enjoy the same foods as before and the AP is still working for them.  I'd love to hear your stories.

maz.aust
    Participant

Hi Lizbeth,

Will pm you my diet so you can have a look. 

How did you go with Dr D ???  I hope it was productive & you feel as if you achieved something coming down to Melb.

Cheers,
    Maz – Aust

Dec07: Diagnosed PRA, (CTD; Fibromyalgia; suspected Lyme):
    Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

Jan 2018: ABX Mon/Wed/Fri (started AP 2008)
    1/2 x 150mg Roxithromycin(Biasig), 1/2 x 150mg Clarithromycin (Klacid),
    1/2 x Fungillin, 1 x 250mg Cephalexin (Keflex)

All off days Probiotics

m.
    Participant

No, I've really changed my diet. A lot.

I was so resistant to going gluten free! It was as if it would be the end of life as we know it!

Looking back, I'm so glad I went gluten free. So, so, so glad. Huge mood improvement. Complexion improvement. And, now that I can't fill up on bread and pasta, I'm eating more nutrient dense real foods.

Our entire househould went GF, and we've been careful not to fill it back up with a bunch of processed GF products.

We're rediscovering the way our grandparents ate. Simple, wholesome, real foods. Grass fed beef and pork. Farm eggs. Butter. Chickens who see daylight. Real cream. It's been baby steps, but good for all of us.

We've also cut way back on all grains and flours and way back on sugar.

It's been baby steps all the way.

HTH

bonnielou
    Keymaster

I have not changed my diet much, but honestly, I had an unusually healthy diet before I had RA — never drank soda, minimal sugar and processed food, tons of fresh fruit and vegetables. I did have food allergy testing done with a natural medicine clinic, and based on those results made some alterations — i.e. I had an inflammatory reaction to almonds, milk and lamb — have cut those (and some others) out of my diet.

I am not gluten free — have no problem with gluten. And I can still eat yogurt and some cheeses (not all), so I do still have dairy —  but no fresh milk. I would much rather go through life without a milkshake than go through life in pain. It wasn't that hard a choice.

Eating well helps you feel good on so many fronts — it helps your weight, it helps your energy, it helps your joints. You can still eat really good food. Tonight I am making spiced chicken with blackeyed peas and rice, garlic spinach, and fresh strawberries. It could be worse …

Bonnie Lou
    RA 02/07,AP 10/07
    Minocycline 200mg MWF; Plaquenil 100mg 3 days/week
    Fish Oil, Ubiquinol, Turmeric, Vit C (2 grams) , MultiVit, Magnesium, Astaxanthin, D3 (5000), probiotics and a daily dose of yoga!

anno
    Participant

I haven't changed my diet either, but like Bonnielou, I have what I consider a good diet. Lots of fruits & vegs, beans & tofu, very little meat (& only wild game). We eat our own chickens' eggs & grow a huge garden organically. Try to eat fish, but really less than once per week.  No processed food.
    Still, I love my homemade whole wheat bread, plain yogurt, cheese, & nightshade vegs, which  are all supposed to be forbidden.
     & I do enjoy a glass of wine or 2.;)

Suzanne3090
    Participant

I cut out any thing that would make sugar in the body.  ie bread, starch, anything.  Plus I cut out all red meat.  Did  not believe it would make a difference but was willing to try.  3 days later I stopped at a fast food place to get a hamburger on the way home.  Only lived 5 miles from resturant.  Could not get out of the car when I got home I hurt soooo bad.   Giving up the red meat and foods that make sugar in the body was easy after that. 

Peach73
    Participant

My doctor told me to follow a gluten-free diet and to limit dairy.  I feel much better without gluten.   My diet was horrible before this!  LOL!   I feel much better not eating gluten.  I am eating healthier foods with lots of fruits and veggies and it has made a world of difference in my energy!  Seriously! 

Someone mentioned having a chili dog last night for supper and I wanted to gag at the thought of it.  I baked chicken last night and only ate one small piece…I was craving the salad more and the strawberries for dessert.  This way of eating has changed me. 

I am now craving foods that are good for me and they make me feel better.  I will never go back to eating things that make me feel horrible again!

eann
    Participant

I have tried a few different diets. I went gluten free for 6 months and didn't notice any difference. Just got tested for gluten sensitivity and was negative. I did add gluten back to my diet for a few weeks before testing.

I am currently trying the pain free diet, which is no nightshades. I have been on it for 6 weeks with no difference noted. Supposed to give it 3 months.

I really think diet has a big impact on your health. I recently saw a study where cardiac/diabetic problems were avoided with a low glycemic diet. They recommended sweet potatoes, whole wheat bread and beans for carbs. No simple carbs- sugar or white flour. Helps with weight gain, especially around the middle.

I have decided a healthy diet with grass fed free range beef and chicken, lots of fresh fruits and veggies and limited low glycemic carbs is what is best for me. I have lost most of my desire for junk food. We grow a garden and freeze a lot of fruits and vegetables for winter use.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ Diet’ is closed to new replies.