Home Forums General Discussion Detoxing

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Kim
    Participant

[user=1552]nspiker[/user] wrote:

Kim, can't wait to try out the FIR sauna….
    I am someone who hates heat, and here I am wanting to get hot, and sweat!:doh: Go figure!

nancy

sweat, baby, sweat! :roll-laugh:

nspiker
    Participant

Kim wrote:

sweat, baby, sweat! :roll-laugh:

I used the fir sauna yesterday, and I didn't really sweat.  I stayed in for 15 minutes and was surprised that the sauna was not as “hot” as I was expecting.  It was a really pleasant warm-hot, and a peaceful experience. 

How long are we supposed to stay in?  Do we work up to 45 minutes or an hour?

Was my experience of 15 minutes, and not getting overly hot, and not sweating normal?

I am a sweater, and usually sweat at the least bit of heat:?.  Especially with Babesia.

nancy

Kim
    Participant

Nancy,

I think that even though you didn't sweat you're starting the process of thinning blood and improving circulation.  If you didn't herx on your first session you could add time and temp on the next one until you do.  Remember you are not only dumping toxins, but drugs that have been stored too so it's like stirring up a hornet's nest sometimes. :doh:

Once mine is preheated I stay in for 40 minutes @ 130 degrees and I'm drenched when I get out.  I towel off while in there and shower immediately so it doesn't get reabsorbed.

Take care…..kim

p.s. it took Eva a number of sessions before she sweat too.  Your joints will feel so much better and your skin will look 10 years younger. 😉

nspiker
    Participant

Thanks Kim!

I'm going to try it out again this morning, and up the temperature and time a little.  I have to admit, I am pleasantly surprised by how gentle it is, and how good it makes me feel.

Your joints will feel so much better and your skin will look 10 years younger. 😉 

I can only hope….
    nancy

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Nancy,

I'm also loving my FIR sauna! Kim encouraged me for so long and finally a strong recommendation from my doc (in my hubby's presence) gave him the idea to buy me one for my birthday. I started doing it every day, working up from 110f to 125f and from 20 mins to 40 mins over the course of the first week and…by the end of that first week, went into a big detoxing herx! I spoke to my doc about it and he recommended I do it every other day instead of daily and not to go above 125f or for longer than the max recommended time of 40 mins (on the instruction pamphlet says not to go beyond 40 mins). Kim also mentioned the potential for shedding medication waste and I think that is also part of it. I'm doing really well every other day now…and can't wait to get into it for a good old sweat. Feels fantastic and, though I am now the big 5-0 (ugh) I think my facial skin is looking better already! 😀 My avatar pic was taken the summer before I fell ill, but I quickly lost the rosey British palor and my skin aged overnight…just one of those lovely (NOT!) side-effects of collagen degnerative diseases.

Peace, Maz

nspiker
    Participant

Hey Guys,

Tried it out again today for 25 minutes, and began to sweat.  It's kind of like working out; didn't sweat until the twenty minute mark.  I can't believe how much I'm enjoying it, and I don't like heat.

Thanks for your input…
    nancy

Parisa
    Participant

Nancy,

I can't stand a hot tub but have no problem at all with the FIR sauna.  I'm not sure what the difference is but obviously there is one.

Eva Holloway
    Participant

nspiker,

I am on my 3rd months now with my fir sauna and I am starting to get sweaty. I am in the sauna for 25 minutes, setting 2. Today I started to sweat fairly early o so I know it works.  I had to lay down for about 15 minutes after my shower but then I was okay and got a lot done. I take some suplements before and after plus I use a bristle brush to srub my body, arms and legs real good before the sauna.

I am going to physical therapy three times a week and so I have only three days to get into the sauna. I figure between physical therapy and the sauna I may be able to get back upright.

can't do the epson salt/peroxide due to the dermatomyositis, but I use the lemon or lime for drinks occasionally. Lots of water, but I tell you I hate water and the only way I will drink it: I put a certain amount of bottles on the kitchen table in the morning, and that what I have to drink, anything else is better then water:roll-laugh::crying:.I didn't grow up drinking water. Tea, coffe, juice ect. is fine, but water:headbang:.

Eva:D

Eva Holloway

nspiker
    Participant

Parisa and Eva,

Today I actually sweated….YEAH!  It felt great.  I can't believe I like it  😯  I think it's a different kind of hot, and that's why it's easy to take. 

Eva, I need to drink more water too.  I've started getting indigestion from the lemons in the water, or some medication.  It's a bummer; I'm popping tums right and left.  I was not a water-drinker either, but since we got a Britta water filtration container, it tastes so much better to me.

nancy

stile RA
    Participant

Hi.

I have looked into the benefits of using a sauna, and after reading your posts, I have decided to get one.  Prior to RA, I used to exercise all the time, and sweat up a storm. But I haven't done much (ok, any) exercise anymore.:(

I have looked into several different types but I haven't heard of a FIR sauna.  What kind is that?

Regards

Kim
    Participant

Here's the Wiki definition:

Infrared sauna From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search This article needs additional citations for verification.
    Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (October 2009) The interior of an infrared sauna. An infrared sauna uses infrared heaters to emit infrared radiant heat which is absorbed directly into the human body, unlike traditional saunas which heat the body indirectly via air or steam.
    [edit] Health benefit claims A study of patients with rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis showed a reduction in pain, stiffness and fatigue during infrared sauna therapy, “but these did not reach statistical significance.”[1]
    [edit] Energy expenditure controversy Some infrared sauna proponents claim that the sauna is an effective method for considerably raising the rate of energy expenditure in the body. Proponents typically quote the Journal of the American Medical Association stating: “A moderately conditioned person can easily sweat off 500 grams in a sauna, consuming nearly 300 kcal, which is equivalent to running 2?3 miles. A heat-conditioned person can easily sweat off 600?800 kcal with no adverse effects. While the weight of the water loss can be regained by drinking water, the calories consumed will not be.“.[2][3] This statement is based on the amount of energy absorbed by sweat evaporating from the skin. It is equivalent to the latent heat of vaporizaton of water, which is 539 kcal/kg (2260 kJ/kg). The source of this energy is then confused to be body energy stores, while the source is in fact the excessive heat absorbed from the sauna. The body reacts to the excess heat flux by increasing perspiration. This does not increase body heat generation and calorie burn.

nspiker
    Participant

Maz wrote:

I started doing it every day, working up from 110f to 125f and from 20 mins to 40 mins over the course of the first week and…by the end of that first week, went into a big detoxing herx! I spoke to my doc about it and he recommended I do it every other day instead of daily and not to go above 125f or for longer than the max recommended time of 40 mins

Just a warning, which Maz stated earlier, don't overdo the fir sauna when you first get it.  I had a really bad reaction, some kind of weird brain herx, using the sauna every day, and had to back off to every three days. 

nancy

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘ Detoxing’ is closed to new replies.