Home Forums General Discussion Dental Work

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Michele
    Participant

Does anyone have experience with using a biologic dentist? I would appreciate advice on this.

I flared with RA only a few weeks after mercury fillings were removed just over a year ago. The same dentist now wants to remove two more fillings as those teeth are now cracked from the original filling acting like a wedge. I am experiencing “extremely good RA control” at this point and don't want to upset my system one more time that would lead to a significant relapse. No no, don't want to go back there! Since the teeth have cracked I know mercury is now being directly released into my system. Something must be done immediately.

Any personal experiences with this type of dentist would be appreciated!!!

Michele

Kim
    Participant

Complete remission!!!!!  That's incredible, Michele.  I am so happy for you. :blush:

tbird2340
    Participant

So wait, you got RA after you had your mercury fillings removed or it just made your RA flare?

I am very interested in this connection because timing wise I had a root canal put in around the same time initial swelling (my first symptom) in my finger started.. I also have some mercury fillings.

And what's this about complete remission?

Thanks! 😀

casey
    Participant

Michele,

We have experiences with biological dentists and i would rather have a biologic dentist then a regular one. On that note about mercury being released into your body because the teeth are cracked ( dont know how to cut and paste so this is how i will type what you said) , mercury is released into your body as long as one has mercury fillings in their mouth regardless of the tooth condition.  Mercury vapours are constantly exposed into the body and more so  everytime one chews.

I have a website that shows how this works , i will try to find it for you.

Also, i assume you dentist and his assistants wear all kinds of gear ( different from normal, masks/gloves etc when they remove the mercury fillings. At least our does.

There is also an enviromental protocol for disposing these mercury fillings by environmental /government law. It amazes me that fillings have to be disposed in such a way when it is ok for them to be put into mouths in the first place.

I understand how you feel . You dont want to upset the applecart by having these removed but anyone who has mercury fillings are compounding heavy metals in their body. How our immune systems work in excreting this  is the issue.

I dont have an answer for you and i know you are feeling caught between a rock and a hard place. The only thing i can ask is have you had any heavy metal mineral tests and what are the results for mercury? that may help you find your answer on what to do.

Casey

Michele
    Participant

Oh geez, Kim!

As an MP-er I should never have used those words…at least for several years. It appears I have reached a “sweet spot” with my medicine level. I just reached the top of Phase II level 1a and do experience the immunosuppressive affects at this level. Which, I suppose was the optimum level Dr. S had me shooting for way way back in December 2007. However, after one more cycle the reality of herxing as I move to Phase II level 1 will return as I have many bugs to kill. I'm just finding the sweet spot of going slowly. It's a delicate balance of control and I should never have used the “R” word. For the past week, I have had no joint pain at all and have been running around with the other most grateful kids in the RA sandbox. It appears the combo of meds MP offers is a very good fit for me. I am truly grateful.

The mercury fillings are just a real concern. As all who have researched this ugly RA disease, it can be an accumulation of events that lead to the immune system to crumble. Having those fillings removed a little over a year ago appears to be the final straw that broke the back for this camel. I don't want those L-forms having one bit of advantage…at any time. Thus is my quest to safely get through this dental procedure.

So Kim, thanks for your cheers, but they can be for a level of feeling very, very much better than last year.

Michele

Michele
    Participant

tbird,

I was not dx-ed with RA until Sept. 2007. That was about 4 weeks after I had a couple mercury fillings removed. Another RBF member I connected with named “Fran” also had the same experience. Fran no longer posts here as she is out of pain for about a year now and is moving on with her life. (Another Dr. S patient.)

But, I believe the RA was simmering for years as I accumulated L-forms into a large variety and collection of bacterial types. That dental procedure has always made me question if that was what finally moved my immune system into full crisis.

Casey, Thanks! I know you have amazing intuition with teeth and I appreciate getting those website links from you when you get a chance!!!! I'll never forget the decision you had to make with your son's front teeth.

An interesting thought to note here, is that with MP, I herx in my teeth. They have gone through cycles of hurting. Tolerably, but noticeable.

I definitely need to find a safe path to get these things out of my mouth. I have 5 fillings left to replace. Of course, I'll also check in with the MP research team. I'll keep folks here posted on their viewpoint.

Michele

casey
    Participant

Michele and Tbird,

Here is the one site for mercury. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ylnQ-T7oiA 

Also, the main website for the above comes from http://www.iaomt.org . (International Acadamey of Oral Medicine and Toxicology) .You can find additional info on this there and the above youtube video there as well. Be sure to watch the video”the beautiful truth” under the blogspot on the iaomt site and read all the info there as well. It is very informative.

tbird

Here are some that may give you more info on root canals and bacteria.

http://mizar5.com/coverup.htm

http://www.aspartame.ca/page_oh6.html

tainabell
    Participant

I went to a biologic dentist about a month or two ago – I wanted to make sure that there wasn't a hidden tooth infection that was causing my hives.  The visit was very similar to any other visit to a dentist, I had my x-rays done, my teeth cleaned, and then he looked at my mouth for any cavities/problems, etc.  The only difference was that he gave me some sort of bee pollen for anti-raditiation protection from the x-rays and then he gave me some other sort of herbal treatment when all was done. 

I am open to alternative treatments, but wouldn't supplement them for traditional medicine.  I'd say as long as you're seeing a biologic dentist who also does standard treatments, you should be good.  One warning, though:  My biologic dentist wanted me to do some sort of chiropractice realignment that was going to cost a couple thousand dollars.  I passed on it cause it wasn't covered by my insurance, but I could see a dentist like this talking someone into this with the implication that they might have serious problems without it.  You always have to be wary of these hidden costs.

By the way, the guy I saw had long gray hair that he wore in a ponytail and looked like he could be singing back up for Crosby, Stills, and Nash!  Not your typical dentist…I got a kick out of his “alternative style” as well.  😀

casey
    Participant

Tainabell,

I would question this doc for 2 main reasons. First , xrays never show bacteria in teeth (other than a abscess). And they will never show bacteria in a root canal. Second, he should know that although he may have done the xrays to see if there was a small abscees or something there.

Also, biological dentists take into consideration the cause and effect relationship between a patients oral health and the rest of the body and the traditional dentists do not. At least they are supposed to but again, we have to shop for these dentists like we have to shop for AP. Was this dentist licenced as a biological dentist?

Just curious, does this crosby,stills and nash use mercury fillings in his patients? that would be interesting to know.

Also, do you eat gluten? Any food allergies you know of? Hives can be caused by these probs as well.

tainabell
    Participant

I know he did say that he does not use mercury in his feelings and campaigns pretty vociferously against the use of mercury. 

I think the tooth/hive bacteria thing may have been a stretch anyway…but I just assumed that he could see bacterial infections with those x-rays…hmmm….

I just finished up a month long gluten free/dairy free elimination diet.  It didn't clear up the hives, so my doc gave me the OK to start on gluten/dairy again.  I'm pretty sure at this point that the hives are my body's reaction to the Lyme in my body.  I belong to a chronic hives forum as well, and many people have had bacterial infections (such as a abcessed tooth, etc.) that were causing the hives.  Once the bacterial infections were treated, the hives went away.  I'm making a (very medically uninformed :blush:) diagnosis on my self here, that my hives are related to the Lyme bacteria thats in my system.  I'm hoping once I take care of the Lyme, the hives will go away as well. 

I think the problem with all “alternative” practioners is that you have to be sure to steer clear of the quacks.  My Crosby Stills and Nash guy may have been a bit of a quack, but still I like the idea of a biologic dentist. 

casey
    Participant

Tainabell,

By chance, could i get the chronic hives forum site you are on. Chronic hives were my daily battle for 18 months and this itches…i mean interests me.

Thanks so much,

casey

tainabell
    Participant

Sure…the group is a yahoo group. 

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/urticaria/

There is also a site for their org, ICUS (International Chronic Urticaria Society),  http://www.chronichives.com.  It has good anti-itching recipes as well as instructions for a low histamine diet, and resources/info about chronic hivers.  It's a bit like Lyme, or treating arthritis with antibiotics, in the sense that patient education is everything when it comes to treating your condition.  Most doctors, even dermatologists, don't really know that much about why people get hives for longer than a few hours or days. 

Good luck!  (And sorry to have hijacked the dentist thread….)

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Tainabell – hives are described as one of the possible symptoms in the Jarisch-Herxheimer response. And many symptoms experienced in a herx can, of course, be experienced in a flare. I am pasting below a link that contains some possible remedies to herx symptoms as described in the FAQ section on http://www.rheumatic.org site. Scroll down to Point (6). You may want to experiment with these. http://www.rheumatic.org/faq.htm

Also, I know that others who suffer with hives have taken Benedryl at bedtime with good results. The gals at http://www.rheumatic.support.net may be able to give you more info on this, I know quite a few of them have tried this.  Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

tainabell
    Participant

Thanks so much for the help Lynnie!  Unfortunately, I don't think my hives are a herx – I've had them for over 2 years now.  I've taken pretty much every anti-histamine known to man, including benadryl (also claritin, atarax, zyrtec, xyzal, even zantac which is an H2 blocker) and nothing seems to drive them down.  Its a sucky illness to have, especially when coupled with painful arthritis! 

The link you provided is still super helpful though….I will look it over, it seems to have new stuff I haven't seen yet as far as herxing tips and stuff!  Thanks.

tainabell
    Participant

Thanks so much for the help Lynnie!  Unfortunately, I don't think my hives are a herx – I've had them for over 2 years now.  I've taken pretty much every anti-histamine known to man, including benadryl (also claritin, atarax, zyrtec, xyzal, even zantac which is an H2 blocker) and nothing seems to drive them down.  Its a sucky illness to have, especially when coupled with painful arthritis! 

The link you provided is still super helpful though….I will look it over, it seems to have new stuff I haven't seen yet as far as herxing tips and stuff!  Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘ Dental Work’ is closed to new replies.