Home Forums General Discussion Crohn

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    JBJBJB
    Participant

My friend's wife has this Crohn's disease. She is only 30 years old and she has been suffering from constant diarrhea. I read some where that AP or MP may work for Crohn's also.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

JB

richie
    Participant

Hi
    It is neither AP or Mp –rather have your friend look into  Dr Thomas Barody of the Centre for digestive Diseases of Australia –he has amazing success in treating Crohns with antibiotic –his protocol is somewhere on line

HE lectured in the US last year –He showed up in a library near me on Long Island– 50 people were expected –over 1000 showed up !!!!
    Richie

DragonSlayer
    Participant

Hi, JB:

The good news is that AP will help Crohn's very much, but it must be the correct one.  Professor Ebringer has published several papers on the cause of Crohn's–which is the same as AS:  Crohn's/AS Mechanism on YouTube.

One study had great results using a newer antibiotic–Rifaximin–but perhaps one of the RBF physicians have worked out a different protocol, but it should target the Klebsiella pneumoniae germ, so that also implies a diet similar to Carol Sinclair's “The New IBS Low-Starch Diet” available in UK (amazon-UK has it).  Ebringer contributed the foreword.

Good luck to You and to your friend,
    John

JBJBJB
    Participant

Richie, John,

These are very important information for my friend's wife, perhaps life saving for her since the doctor wants to do surgery….. I will send these information to her right now.

Thank you VERY much,

JB

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

JB,

For what it is worth.  The brother of a team mate of Jess' had a serous case of Crohn's.  About a year ago, I happened to be talking to the mom (a pediatrician) about how Jess was doing and how we did AP.  This mom knew that we had gone to Harvard, but was not aware of the treatment that Jess undertook.  Well, as I began telling her about AP, you can guess what I expected her reaction to be.  Not so fast!  She knew all about it, and then told me that she had done an AP type protocol for her son.  She had a difficult time finding a doctor, even though she IS a doctor (what chance do us normal folks have?)

So, again, for what it is worth, this little boy is now thriving on an AP type protocol that has successfully treated a severe case of Crohn's.

Your friend is lucky to have a friend such as you!

Cheryl

richie
    Participant

Hi
    Rifaximin is the antibiotic used by Barody —
    richie

louris
    Participant

Some success in managing or treating Crohn's has also been reported using Low Dose Naltrexone.

From the Low Dose Naltrexone homepage (http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org):

“Dr. Jill Smith?s original article, “Low-Dose Naltrexone Therapy Improves Active Crohn?s Disease,” in the January issue of the American Journal of Gastroenterology (2007;102:1?9), officially presents LDN to the world of scientific medicine. Smith, Professor of Gastroenterology at Pennsylvania State University's College of Medicine, found that two-thirds of the patients in her pilot study went into remission and fully 89% of the group responded to treatment to some degree. She concluded that ?LDN therapy appears effective and safe in subjects with active Crohn?s disease.?”

DianeWI
    Participant

Hi JB,

One of hubbys workers has Crohns Disease and his doctor told him to start smoking as it slows down the progression of the disease.  

Diane/WI

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

Was this doctor kidding? 

Cheryl

Kim
    Participant

I was thinking the same thing.  What was he smoking??????:shock:

DragonSlayer
    Participant

Hi, Diane:

This doctor is lying, whether (s)he knows it or not.

It probably comes from a misunderstanding of the fact that smokers with severe bleeding chronic Ulcerative Colitis have fewer fatalities that non-smokers in the same emergency.

The reason is simple:  Nicotine is highly vasoconstrictive.

In actual fact, not only can smoking cause Crohn's Disease, it will accelerate nearly every sequelae related to it.  It can also cause related diseases like AS.

I studied Crohn's because a close friend was diagnosed with this many years ago, and it was then known that the incidence of smoking within the Crohn's community was 400% greater than in the general composite population.

The colon requires blood for dynamic healing and smoking can reduce the bloodflow here by up to 75%.  Lesions cannot heal nearly as well under such a situation.

Tell that doctor to re-check their facts–that particular advice is dangerous,

John

JBJBJB
    Participant

Thanks again all for the information, smoking or not smoking, every piece information is going to help my friend. Just to see her suffering breaks my heart.

Where is the starting point? Where could she seek the treatment? Is there any AP doctor in Indianapolis or Indiana area she could go? Or is there any specific protocol for Crohn's Disease she could follow?

If you guys could give me some specific steps, that will be really helpful.

Thanks,

JB

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi JB,

Here is an ongoing study that is taking place in Australia…in the third stage of the trials now, I believe.

http://www.crohns.org/treatment/austrial.htm

The combination of antibiotics used in the trials are Rifabutin, Clarithromycin and Clofazimine (this last one may not be available in the US anymore, but there may be an equivalent available).

In Phase II of these trials a good number of patients reached remission. There is a support group your friend could join, called PARA, linked to the above webpage where she may find info about physicians treating with this therapy. 

Perhaps someone on the BB will know of an AP doc who treats crohn's with antibotic therapy. Just a suggestion, but she could try calling someone like Dr S in TN/GA to ask if he treats Crohns with antibiotic therapy.  This AP doc uses flagyl (a gut antibiotic) quite a bit in his protocols, so he may be open to this.

Hopefully the site above will help with some leads.

Peace, Maz

Maz
    Keymaster

JB…please ignore suggestion to join the PARA group for support…I read further on that site that they are only into research only as a Foundation and don't offer patient support services :doh:. Nonetheless, there is some good info on infectious causes for crohn's on this site which may help to arm your friend when discussing antibiotic therapy with the doc of her choice.

Peace, Maz

PS Thought this was interesting…herx or what???

http://www.crohns.org/treatment/index.htm

Flu-like syndrome. A flu-like syndrome appeared in some patients after one week of anti-MAP treatment, and lasted for between 3 and 8 weeks. Up to 50% of patients treated experienced such symptoms. Up to 50% of patients who experienced the flu-like syndrome experienced a severe form of the symptoms.”

kat
    Participant

I talked to Dr S about Crohn's while we were in Ida Grove because of a friend who has it. He said that if the patient was experiencing arthritis type symptoms he would definitely treat them with the IVs, otherwise he has not had much success with Clindy and Crohn's. Which makes sense, because as mentioned above, there are really better antibiotics for Crohn's.

Our friend ended up treating himself with diet and peppermint oil (which has lots of antiobiotic properties) and is doing pretty good now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘ Crohn’ is closed to new replies.