Home Forums General Discussion CREST SD linked to Lyme disease

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    PetRescue
    Participant

So, I have been researching SD constantly. I think my computer is attached to my lap!

I was trying to look up mycoplasma and the CREST variant of SD. Then I came across this:

“The origin of CREST lies in a production of anti-nuclear and anti-centromere antibodies and has been related to Borrelia burgdorferi infections. It is therefore believed that the plasma cells which produce these antibodies have been stimulated by an infection before, though not all patients with CREST have had a Borrelia infection.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CREST_syndrome

Um, borrelia! Lyme! Oh my!!!

So…I'm thinking that I really need to have the Lyme test done! But does this mean that I should see an LLMD instead of Dr. S? Should I call Dr.S and see what he thinks? I'm not sure if I specified that I had CREST…I may have just said scleroderma. It is my understanding that he thinks that Minocin will also treat Lyme.

Also, I found this study which attributes the reversal of skin stiffness to antibiotics that treated the Lyme:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15649200

Now…if only I could come across $600 hidden under a rock 🙂

~jen

Mumof3
    Participant

Wow those are interesting articles. Even though there are so many people on the Board with SD and Lyme, I have never actually read any articles linking them. Thank you so much for posting them.

Parisa
    Participant

Jen,

I think Dr. S is a great doctor to start with as he will start you on an anbiotic protocol.  This can give you time to get a Lyme test from Igenex and figure out which LLMD would be the right fit for you.

Mumof3
    Participant

Hi Jen,

I have to agree with Parisa. I think you are off to a great start by seeing Dr. S. He is one of the best doctors. There is only so much you can do unless of course you “come across $600.00 hidden under a rock” (and please let me know if you do because I will start turning rocks over). LOL!

It can be overwhelming at first with all of the testing and money involved. Getting started on AP would be the first priority and is definitely a great start as it will start addressing the SD. A few months down the line, you can think about testing for Lyme and seeing a LLMD. Kudos to you for acting on it so quickly and getting yourself an appointment with Dr. S.!

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=2168]PetRescue[/user] wrote:

Also, I found this study which attributes the reversal of skin stiffness to antibiotics that treated the Lyme:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15649200

Hi Jen,

We had this study in the Fall 08 RBF eBulletin and thought you might like to read this old edition, because it has quite a bit of info on the Lyme controversy in it:

https://www.roadback.org/EmailBlasts/ebulletin_fall08.html

The argument that sclero docs are using over here is that European strains aren't the same as North American strains of borrelia, which is…unfortunately… a crock. This is because European strains of borreliosis have been found here in the US and researchers believe they've probably been here for some decades, possibly brought over by migrating birds. There was a news article posted somewhere here in the forum some time ago…if I can dig it out, I'll post it here for you.

Peace, Maz

PetRescue
    Participant

Mum-You're welcome for the info. I thought it was crazy that on wiki it had info about SD being infectious. I know wiki isn't a “medical-based” site, but still. They admit it, but SD doctors won't. I'll let you know about the rock thing. Might have to pull an april fools on my son keeping him busy looking under rocks today!

Parisa-thanks for the advice. I am looking forward to meeting Dr.S. He sounds like a gem and I know I will be in good hands. I just want to kick these bugs in the butt-as fast as I can!

Maz-thanks for the link. I love going thu old posts and reading the old bulletins. Lots of good info-and about health in general. I have learned so much from this site. I was reading thru a post about hormone replacement/thyroid issues/CREST SD from the member:[user=635]dmarcoccia[/user] and you had a lot of great information. That is very interesting to me as I have low progesterone levels (diagnosed from my miscarriages), but have never heard of yet another link to SD. I am on the fence though from your explanation of hormones in rheumatic disease. It is all too much to ponder!

~jen

JBJBJB
    Participant

[user=2168]PetRescue[/user] wrote:

“The origin of CREST lies in a production of anti-nuclear and anti-centromere antibodies and has been related to Borrelia burgdorferi infections. It is therefore believed that the plasma cells which produce these antibodies have been stimulated by an infection before, though not all patients with CREST have had a Borrelia infection.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CREST_syndrome

Um, borrelia! Lyme! Oh my!!!

~jen

Jen,

I had 3 out of 5 CREST symptoms when I was diagnosed with MCTD in 2007. Nice to know there is a connection.

<span style="color: red] %;”>[/color]

Thank you! JB

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘ CREST SD linked to Lyme disease’ is closed to new replies.