Home Forums General Discussion Could someone educate us newbies on abbreviations?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Patti D
    Participant

Hi All,

I am curious as to what some abbreviations mean on specific diagnosis. There seems to be more diseases than the current board abbreviation list holds. Thanks in advance! I am wondering about PsA and FBS to mention a few.

Happy days!

Patti D.

Todd WI
    Participant

PsA = psoriatic arthritis, a kissing cousin to RA
    FBS = ???

steph-sclero
    Participant

FBS=Fibromyalgia Syndrome ?

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=157]steph-sclero[/user] wrote:

FBS=Fibromyalgia Syndrome ?

Hi Steph…I wondered about that one, as well…could it be IBS? As in irritable bowel syndrome?

Peace, Maz

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

It could be a typo, you would have to look at the context of the post.  The common abbriviation for Fibromyalgia is FMS or Fibro.

Cheryl

Patti D
    Participant

Thanks All!

I didn't know there were so many diseases that are being treated by antibiotic therapy. So awesome!

Maz-Are you over the hump and feeling better this week? I am better but still pretty stiff if I sit to long. There is no time to sit this week as I have plenty of training. I had a student come to me yesterday and show me his tick bite. Also told me he was well prepared and went to the doctor, tick in hand!!! And He was put on doxy. The problem , only 2 weeks worth. I told him to go back and request a full month and recheck. He was so thankful that he had taken my class and knew what to do:roll-laugh:Today I had someone in my class whose husband has been treated with IV antibiotics on & off for 4 years for recurring lyme:( He is having neurologic symptoms and is seeing a neurologist  who was just denied by her insurance carrier for her husbands medical treatment of IV's this week. I put her in touch with all of the information I have gotten here from you and all of the other wonderful people. We can make a difference!! It may be the best therapy yet to help others during our own recovery.

Happy Days!

Patti D.

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=287]Patti D LD 5/07, RA 12/07[/user] wrote:

Maz-Are you over the hump and feeling better this week? I am better but still pretty stiff if I sit to long. …

It may be the best therapy yet to help others during our own recovery.

Patti, how kind of you to ask I'm doing. Thank you for your thoughts! Doing much better this week and seems it was another herx, as I always seem to jump forward a bit in this three step fwd and two step back AP dance. But, so sorry to hear you're still so stiff and having to push yourself to keep going. I empathize and know how that feels…if it makes you feel any better, it really does get better and better as time goes on. It's just a very slow process and I think the hardest part are those backward slides, as all the fears creep back in about landing up where you started…but it's usually transitory and the longer you keep up AP, the longer the periods between the bad days and the shorter and less painful they become.

How wonderful you were able to help one of your trainees to get the medical care they deserved for their tick bite. :dude: You get the dude award! But…so hard to hear about your other trainee's husband being denied insurance coverage for his desperately needed IVs. Let's hope and pray that this new ruling by CT Atty General Blumenthal will get this situation changed for chronic Lyme patients soon…something has to budge and now that the crooked IDSA panel who “designed” – or perhaps the better word is “contrived” to suit their own ends – the treatment guidelines for Lyme have been exposed for all their underhanded dealings, all Lyme sufferers will get fair and proper representation and all the insurance coverage they need to get well.

You're doing selfless work, Patti, and you have to get well soon so you can keep doing it and prevent others from going down the painful paths we've had to go down. Thank God for people like you! And thanks again for kindly thinking of me.    

Peace, Maz

Patti D
    Participant

Maz,

Your notes of wisdom brighten my day! Keep the lyme info rolling. Together we can get the word out on this.

We had more rain today so I had more pain! But you were right. I left my house at 6 am, unable to zip my pants and thought this is not good. I had the really burning pain in my wrist just like the beginning but low and behold, by 10 am the pain was gone. I was so relieved as I thought I was going right back to 5 months ago. Thank God, I was OK. This fear thing is almost as bad as the pain. Maybe I was just so in control of things( or at least thought I was in control) that this new way of never knowing what tomorrow will bring is a little frightening.

This is why I need this board. I really don't know what to expect. I did hear myself say one more time I wish I had never gotten this, but I needed to remind myself that being positive is the quickest way to recovery. To my Lyme sista, we are on our way:cool:

happy days!

Patti D 

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=287]Patti D LD 5/07, RA 12/07[/user] wrote:

We had more rain today so I had more pain! But you were right. I left my house at 6 am, unable to zip my pants and thought this is not good. I had the really burning pain in my wrist just like the beginning but low and behold, by 10 am the pain was gone. I was so relieved as I thought I was going right back to 5 months ago. Thank God, I was OK. This fear thing is almost as bad as the pain. Maybe I was just so in control of things( or at least thought I was in control) that this new way of never knowing what tomorrow will bring is a little frightening.

Patti, me too. We've had overcast skies and rain today and my knees have had that burning sensation with aching and sharp shooting pains in my ankles and feet. Hard to say if it's the weather, though, as we've had a lot of mucky days and I haven't been bad each time…so it's not consistant with weather. So, I think in my case it's the zith I took on Sunday…always seems to get me about 4 or 5 days in from the dose.

I know exactly what you mean about feeling less able to control things, because life just becomes so unpredicatable with this kind of disease. Never know from one day to the next how you're going to feel and what your capability level will be like….and it's a pretty vulnerable feeling. In some higher sense, though, perhaps this is the greater lesson in what I'm experiencing…the need to let go and go with the flow without self-judgment. Ya know…I used to think I was a pretty easy-going kind of person before all this…and it's only served to make me realise what a control freak I really must have been! :roll-laugh:

Peace, Maz

Patti D
    Participant

Ditto!!!

Patti

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘ Could someone educate us newbies on abbreviations?’ is closed to new replies.