Home Forums General Discussion Costochondritis!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Chris
    Participant

Just checking if anybody has costochondritis due to MCTD,RA or anything else. From what I have read it is hard to diagnose as there is not a specific test for it. But I have had rib cage pain front and back also pain when you touch the breast bone or xyfoid process as I think it is called is a symtom. Also difficulty breathing can be associated with it. Any info would be appreciated .

Chris

louris
    Participant

Chris, you may want to look into spondylitis (undiff. spondylitis, ankylosing spondylitis, etc.) as many can experience costo.  I used to deal with it regularly, but have realized methods to somewhat effectively mitigate it.

Chris
    Participant

Louris

Did you have breathing problems and rib cage pain with it? And what did you do to eleviagte it or did it just calm down on its own?

Chris

Mumof3
    Participant

Hi Chris,

I don't have breathing issues but I have had rib cage pain on and off (at the front) since my SD symptoms started. It can be very painful at times.

DragonSlayer
    Participant

Hi, Chris:

Yes, as others have stated AS can cause costochondritis.  The inflammation leads to fusion that limits chest expansion so many with AS cannot inhale completely.  This can result in secondary lung problems.

I had costochondritis for many years but lost it after successful antibiotic and dietary treatment for AS.

HEALTH,
    John

Chris
    Participant

Which Antibiotic did you take and how long before you were symptom free? Did you have breathing problems?

louris
    Participant

I had breathing problems due to restricted chest expansion.  I had the most pain where the ribs meet the sternum (sorry, I'm not an anatomy guy). 

Refer to what Dragonslayer said.  Perhaps read his story in the Personal Story section if you are inclined.

Mine largely (90-95%) disappeared with dietary modification.  I'm currently on antibiotics for tick related disease and will eventually be for Cpn.

sierrra
    Participant

Yes, I had that when my RA was active. I had a lot of tenderness at the sternum. One time I went to the ER with chest pain (hurt to take a deep breath) and was diagnosed with pleurisy, but I later learned of costo. and wondered if it was that. That was the only breathing problem I had. All a memory now, after 3 years on mino.

Sierra

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Chris – if you click on John's (DragonSlayer's) link right at the bottom of his post (Boring AS Stopry) it will take you to his Personal History thread and should answer your questions. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Parisa
    Participant

Chris,

I'm back on the babesia bandwagon.  Rib cage pain is a classic symptom of babesia. 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘ Costochondritis!’ is closed to new replies.