Home Forums General Discussion cortizone injection

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

I have been having this swelling on my left ankle for quite some time.  My rheumy suggested that she can drain the fluid out of my ankle and do a cortizone injection.  I dont know if cortizone injection is good.  Is there any side effect?  will it be effective in reducing the inflammation and pain.

thanks / gupta

linda
    Participant

Hi Gupta,

I've had cortisone injections in my ankles and neck. They are pretty effective and last about 3 months. The side effects are that if given too often they will weaken the joint, and they should never be given directly into the connective tissue, such as tendons; that could cause the tendon to tear. This is especially true of the achilles tendon, which usually requires surgery to repair and is not always successful. Your rheumy should know all about that, tho. They don't hurt- the doctor will spray a freezing agent on the skin before he gives you the injection. There is also a numbing agent in the injection, so the most you'll feel is a little pressure. 😯 It looks much scarier than it is. 😯  Good luck,

linda

Todd WI
    Participant

The following link provides a decent summary of cortisone shots:

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/paindrugs/a/cortisone.htm

My doc described them as giving the joint a chance to settle down.  I've know people that get decent but temporary relief from the shots, but others who say they don't do anything for them.

My only first hand experience is with cortisone shots into both thumbs that were so inflamed that I could barely bend them.  The shots were actually a bit painful (and made me see spots), but a few days later my thumbs returned to “normal”.  I had the shots over a decade ago and my thumbs haven't bothered me since.  Other joints yes, but not my thumbs.  Why, who knows?

Todd

Jeff
    Participant

Gupta,

I had a cortisone shot in my wrist once, that did not give me any help of reducing the pain or swelling.  It actually swelled up quite a bit more and became more painfull a few hours after I got it. BUT, as others have said, I hear that they typically can provide some temporary relief in the joint….just didn't work for me I guess.  Part of the probelm might be that it needs to be shot into the right location, so as to be effective; but because you only can get it every three months of so, if they miss, well, you lose out i guess.:?  maybe my rheumy missed the right spot. :headbang:

Jeff

suera
    Participant

i had a cortisone shot in my wrist back in december, it was a life saver and my wrist has not yet felt as bad as it did before the shot. i didn't think the injection hurt at all compared to what we go thru daily. the only other thing to remember is, it isn't immediate, it took a couple of days to kick in.

thats my experience.

Sue

Rose
    Participant

Gupta ;  I've had several  cortizone shots in varies places, they have always helped me.  My Othopedic  surgeon said that mostly the shot stays around the injury and does not travel much into the body. But yes it isn't a good idea to have too many.

If you get the shot from your Rheumatologist  then he will freeze the tissue before the shot and you don't feel a thing. I would definitely give it a try.   Rose

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘ cortizone injection’ is closed to new replies.