Home Forums General Discussion Clinical Trials : RA & Antibiotics FOLLOW UP ?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Suzanne
    Participant

I used the link to the other studies they are funding and searched for info a few I thought looked interesting.  Here is a possible anti-inflamm I've never heard of:

http://stimuluswatch.org/2.0/awards/view/8375/manzamine-a-as-an-anti-inflammatory-treatment-for-rheumatoid-arthritis

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

Suzanne
    Participant

This sounds good:

http://stimuluswatch.org/2.0/awards/view/29162/treatment-efficacy-and-toxicity-in-rheumatoid-arthritis-database-and-repository

“Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is the most common type of inflammatory arthritis; while there are now many effective medications to treat it, these drugs vary greatly in cost (up to $15,000/year) and side effects and there is no way to predict which drug is best for an individual with this disease. This project will address one of the major roadblocks to personalized medicine in RA, which is the lack of coordinated effort of federal funding agencies (e.g. NIH), voluntary health agencies (e.g. Arthritis Foundation), professional organizations (e.g. American College of Rheumatology) and industry partners (e.g. pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies) to enable creation of a large, sustainable database of treatment response data and repository of accompanying samples of DNA and blood cells from RA patients starting treatment with different drugs. The ultimate goal of these studies is to better understand the molecular basis of treatment response and to rapidly accelerate research in RA to allow prediction of which drugs will work best in individual patients.”

There are a lot of Lyme studies the list, too, for anyone interested!

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

Suzanne
    Participant

Okee dokee,  I need to stop reading now:

http://stimuluswatch.org/2.0/awards/view/12277/dynamics-of-therapeutic-response-within-the-treat-trial

“It's not often said but it must be admitted: current therapy for polyarticular juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA) is little more than an exercise in 'chasing failure.' That is, medications are added or doses adjusted only after a child has failed to respond to the initial therapy.”

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Suzanne-

Thanks for these posts.  Excellent work.

Jan

Suzy
    Participant

Wow, that was a nice reply you recieved Jan and what a great link the doctor included. Thanks for sharing. There certainly is a lot going on… although it sometimes seems like progress is at a stand-still.  I love to see the current research areas. I like that it offers an insight into the researchers latest theories/thinking.

Thanks to All

Suzy

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I’ll bring this up for newcomers.

Suzy
    Participant

Good Idea for newcomers to read.

I was just sifting through the research on one of the original links above and came across an item about something called RAPAMYCIN. I had never heard of this compound and googled for info. I found it is an antibiotic which has immunosuppressant properties. The original research I found was relating to RA and joint destruction. The info from the google search has a host of possible implications…including bad immunosuppressive side effects! I was just surprised that an Abx had immuno Suppr. properties? Anyone else heard of other Abx’s that have these properties? How about Mino? Anyone know anything more about Rapamycin?

Happy New Year…..Suzy

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

No, I haven’t heard of it.

maz.aust
    Participant

I hadn’t heard of it either so Googled it up — interesting

A drug used to keep the body from rejecting organ and bone marrow transplants. Rapamycin blocks certain white blood cells that can reject foreign tissues and organs. It also blocks a protein that is involved in cell division. It is a type of antibiotic, a type of immunosuppressant, and a type of serine/threonine kinase inhibitor. Rapamycin is now called sirolimus.

Dec07: Diagnosed PRA, (CTD; Fibromyalgia; suspected Lyme):
    Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

Jan 2018: ABX Mon/Wed/Fri (started AP 2008)
    1/2 x 150mg Roxithromycin(Biasig), 1/2 x 150mg Clarithromycin (Klacid),
    1/2 x Fungillin, 1 x 250mg Cephalexin (Keflex)

All off days Probiotics

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

It sounds like this would never be used for AP.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

bump.

Suzy
    Participant

Here is something new relating to Rapamycin (abx), which I had posted a different research article before in this thread. Life extending ?…….I might be changing my opinion of this abx ! 🙂

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/230261.php

Also, was wondering if anyone has heard of any update on the original trials started in this thread…think I will visit the site and look around.

Suzy
    Participant

Has anyone seen any results published from these trials in my original post???

Trying to follow up…..a lot going on right now. My research time is limited but i have found some interesting things from one of the researchers. Its a long but interesting article….with citings that seem to give revelance to many of the things so many of us here on the forum feel are contributors to our various AI diseases.
    One thing noted about the trials as someone said in this original posting….they are trying to establish if altering the gut microbiota using the antibiotics Doxy and Vancomycin has an effect on the diseases and if the gut microbiota is different for Psa vs Ra. etc etc… My take on this is they want to see how the abx affects the gut microbiotica in addition to how the abx affects the disease. Either way…it’s cool how they are studying how smybiosis and dysbiosis of our gut microbiotica affects our disease paths.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3275101/

Also interesting info here….From Dr A.’s lab website for the trials
    RA Participants……. http://www.med.nyu.edu/medicine/labs/abramsonlab/images/RA%20Brochure.pdf

Psa Participants….http://www.med.nyu.edu/medicine/labs/abramsonlab/images/PsA%20Brochure.pdf

Can anyone add anything here ? SUZY

Suzanne
    Participant

Suzy, thank you for sharing those awesome new links!

I looked at the original trial and it says the estimated completion date was January 2012. I don’t expect to see published results for awhile, that always seems to take forever, doesn’t it?

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

This is an old study but the results were interesting.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.