Home Forums General Discussion Clinical Trials : RA & Antibiotics FOLLOW UP ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Suzy
    Participant

This is very interesting!

Suzanne
    Participant

Wow, Suzy, great find! 

Only negatives – not double blind, small study (150), and not mino.  The size and blinding is enough to continue to give naysayers ammo, but it is definitely progress to have NIAMS studying this!!!!

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Ditto to Suzanne.

I may contact researcher Dr. Abramson and NIAMS Director Katz to express support.

Steven Abramson, M.D., 530 First Ave., Room HCC15, Tisch Hospital, NY,NY10016          Phone 212)263 8003   Fax 212)263 3297

NIAMS Director Stephen Katz  katzs@mail.nih.gov

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Oops. Duplicate

marypart
    Participant

It's not mino, true.  But Vancomycin definitely should be looked at.  That's a pretty high dose of Vanco, even if it is only a couple of weeks.

It's a beginning, but I agree that it could give the naysaysers ammo.

Mary

Todd WI
    Participant

No mino, but they do have a doxy group (twice daily for 2 months) in addition to the vancomycin group.

I found this interesting:

<<>>

Todd

Suzanne
    Participant

[user=67]Todd WI[/user] wrote:

I found this interesting:

<<>>

Todd

I agree that is interesting  – and I also wonder if this is first time they have looked for differences?  It seems like an obvious thing to look into.

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

lee
    Participant

I don't see this as good at all.  What I think will happen is that either the patients will get worse and they will close the book shut and say it doesn't work or no change will be seen in the short amount of time and the book will be closed again. Then if any other institutions look at an infectious cause for these diseases will refer to this recent clinical trial and look elsewhere. Do they not communicate. Dr Carter in Fl. already did this and I think he concluded that doxy did little to nothing he had to add in rifampin to turn patients around. ugh what a waste of money.

Suzy
    Participant

Suzanne,Jan lucinda and others….Yes I agree the negatives are there. Too bad not double blind. But there are the positives also and my glass is half full. This study seems to be looking for an association between periodontal disease and RA as I see it (?)  If I am reading this right. I think any research into the infectious theory being one of the possible catalysts of AI diseases, is a step in a positive direction.

Lee…  the naysayers are always there ! I'm not sure about shutting the book though, when enough people are persistent in this internet age…..well, I beleive we can force changes eventually. As for Dr. Carters study…..it was associatiing Reactive Arthritis with Chlamydia trachomatis or Chlamydia pneumoniae and the fact that combo antibiotics were most effective. As for this study…..Oral infections and I do believe different srains require different abx. I think Doxy has been used a lot for Oral infectons. I am not sure about the vancomycin though…..

Todd….yes very interesting about the baseline of Psa for this ?  Shouldn't everyone who presents with arthritic symptoms be tested for all kind of infections…seems like it to me!

I do believe researchers are going to find it is the infections that trigger a response in the cells that throw the Immune system into a state of confusion. IMO

Until then I will keep digging and resarching…….SUZY

Suzanne
    Participant

[user=246]lee[/user] wrote:

I don't see this as good at all.  What I think will happen is that either the patients will get worse and they will close the book shut and say it doesn't work or no change will be seen in the short amount of time and the book will be closed again. Then if any other institutions look at an infectious cause for these diseases will refer to this recent clinical trial and look elsewhere. Do they not communicate. Dr Carter in Fl. already did this and I think he concluded that doxy did little to nothing he had to add in rifampin to turn patients around. ugh what a waste of money.

I agree with Suzy – Dr. Carter's study was very different!  I don't think this study is a waste of money at all, plus they are doing more than the Carter study by comparing samples from people not taking the abx, etc.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I'm not familiar with Dr. Carter's trial.  Does anyone have a link?

Suzanne
    Participant

Article about Carter study:

http://www.rheumatologynews.com/article/PIIS1541980009703928/fulltext

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I also agree with Suzy.  I think it is a good study.

Suzanne
    Participant

Jan asked me to share part of the reply she received:

he antibiotic study to which you referred represents one of several approaches that NIAMS is pursuing in RA research. RA seems to be caused by a variety of factors, and many scientists think that something must occur to trigger the disease process in people whose genetic makeup makes them susceptible to RA. A viral or bacterial infection appears likely, but the exact agent is not yet known. In 1995, NIAMS released the results of the MIRA study (Minocycline in Rheumatoid Arthritis), which showed that antibiotic therapy was safe and effective in treating RA. Patients in that study experienced improvement in joint symptoms as well as laboratory tests. You can read the press release about this study at this page on the NIAMS Web site:  http://www.niams.nih.gov/News_and_Events/Press_Releases/1995/01_14.asp.  
    The current collaborative study of the

Suzanne
    Participant

The link to the MIRA press release doesn't work (here or in the e-mail I copied from), sorry!  I wanted to see it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.