Home Forums General Discussion Clindamycin Herx 2 weeks into treatment?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    OutdoorDiva
    Participant

Hi there,

haven't been on here since my AP appt – I have been traveling for 2 weeks and am realizing the importance of slowing down…..anyhow, I am back and ready to talk!

Doc's appt went well. I show high levels of strep, Epstein-Barr, and mycoplasma pneumonia.  Doc wants to treat me for strep first so I just started Clindamycin. 2 weeks into treatment I get the worst joint pain I've ever  had.  Literally couldn't move off the couch.  Doc said this could be a Herx but I was under the impression that it took months for this stuff to work or to experience a herx????  anyone have experience with Clindamycin?

This pain is awful!!!

Jo
    Participant
    OutdoorDiva
    Participant

thanks Jo.

I've noticed the MSM thread and I know that this is in one of my supplements.  i'll have to research more and check to make sure I am taking enough.

thanks for making me feel normal with the herxing thing.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Am copying and posting this info from a post a couple of days back:

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/education.display/display_id/91.html

Another in the Physicians Packet is about how to distinguish a herx from a flare: https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=studies.display&display_id=184#Anchor-The-51540

[/color]Also, if you look at the recent thread 'Herx or Flare' there's some good info in there too. It certainly sounds like a big time herx, which can begin as early as hours after starting therapy.  Be kind to yourself, get plenty of rest, know that the abx is working. You can also look at some suggestions for dealing with it at rheumatic.org site Frequently asked questions. LInk is below. Lynnie

http://www.rheumatic.org/faq.htm

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=901]OutdoorDiva[/user] wrote:

Doc wants to treat me for strep first so I just started Clindamycin. 2 weeks into treatment I get the worst joint pain I've ever  had.  Literally couldn't move off the couch.  Doc said this could be a Herx but I was under the impression that it took months for this stuff to work or to experience a herx????  anyone have experience with Clindamycin?

This pain is awful!!!

Hi OD,

I don't have much personal experience with oral clindy, except having been on it last year for just a week for a dental implant. I seemed to tolerate it well, but I don't think I was on it long enough to get a good herx going. It does seem to be one antibiotic that can potentially be a little harder on the gut fauna/flora balance, so really important to keep up with good gut health practices. What is great is that Dr F is addressing the elevated strep titers right away, as this can impede progress on the AP. Once they are down, no doubt he'll have you on one of the tetracyclines.

I'm with Lynnie on this…certainly does sound like herxing, which is really good! I know it feels bad, but it means you're responding to the treatment. I don't know if this will help, but I have found myself herxing in different time frames to different abx. I think this might be because different pathogens in the “pea soup” are more vulnerable to specific antibiotics at different times in their various life cycles. I herx within hours from the tetracyclines, but azithromycin kicks in a little slower, usually after 3 to 5 days. It will vary between folk as some antibiotics are quite broad spectrum and will hit lots of different organisms.

Herxing can go on for some time…usually the first few months are the worst and possibly longer for longstanding and/or more severe disease. The intensity diminishes after a time, though, and you should find your inflammatory bloodmarkers start to come down. Sometimes this preceeds physical improvements and sometimes physical improvements preceed bloodmarkers, but eventually everything starts to even out.

When you've been relatively pain-free for a few months, you may even begin to feel ready (with Dr F's guidance, of course) to start lowering and weaning from your humira and pain meds, one at a time. That is the goal, anyway!

Lynnie's given you some great links and the one at rheumatic.org gives some great tips on how to help manage your herxing. If you find the herxing really does become intolerable, you could check in with Dr F and see if he would recommend lowering your dose a bit. 😉

You'll make your friend's grandma proud of you yet!

Peace, Maz

Kim
    Participant

Hey OD.  Sorry about the herxing because I can relate, as I'm herxing from massive abx on Lyme treatment.  The great thing about AP is that it is adjustable.  If you think you are herxing at a level that is unsafe then you can talk to your doctor about swithing things up or cutting back.  Those bugs have been there for a long time and aren't going anywhere fast, so you may need to take mini-breaks to get through the worst part.

I called my Lyme doc last week for that very reason and he said to stop for 3-5 days and let my body catch up.  It was just what I needed to regroup.

Lastly, detox…..detox…..detox.

OutdoorDiva
    Participant

thanks to all who responded!:D

Under the care of Dr. F I stopped the abx for a week and will re-introduce on a 7 week plan until i am back up to the full dosage.

I read everything that you all send and it is very helpful! I have been using the olive oil/lemon drink for months now and was excited to know that it helps with herxing as well! Doing Epsom salt baths and Essiac tea as well as Castor oil packs.  Going to start the peroxide baths today…….feeling better than that awful first day!

Wondering how any of you do this with a full time job?  I work 40 hours a week………

maz.aust
    Participant

Hi,

I started AP back in June adding another abx every 2 wks.  With the benefit of hindsight know I started herxing the first week.  The herxes got worse with the introduction of the next abx but the herxes were nowhere as intense or painful as my flares used to be and if this was herxing it was a piece of cake I could live with this.  Then my doctor changed the frequency and added another abx to the mix just a few wks ago and boy did that change the herxes….. now it felt like stabbing pins & needles and that area was really hot but no swelling – that lasted for about a month 24/7 and yes I did do the 'whole lemon drink' thing and was amazed that it actually helped.

In answer to your other question – I also work 4 days a week, teach at college 2 nights a week, go to dog training on Saturdays & teach dancing on Mondays- so I guess I have what you would call a hectic work schedule.  I am really focussed on my health and will not allow anything to get in the way of my treatment path, so I am always prepared for most contingencies … ie I have my pain relief tablets with me (just in case), always carry the ingredients for the lemon drink in the car & my prescriptions are up to date etc etc

In the early days of AP I too found it very difficult, if not impossible, to distinguish between the beginning of a flare & a herx, but with the support of the people on this site I did get through it. 

Just give yourself some time.  

Dec07: Diagnosed PRA, (CTD; Fibromyalgia; suspected Lyme):
    Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

Jan 2018: ABX Mon/Wed/Fri (started AP 2008)
    1/2 x 150mg Roxithromycin(Biasig), 1/2 x 150mg Clarithromycin (Klacid),
    1/2 x Fungillin, 1 x 250mg Cephalexin (Keflex)

All off days Probiotics

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ Clindamycin Herx 2 weeks into treatment?’ is closed to new replies.