Home Forums General Discussion CLARITHRAMYACIN, AMOX,PLAQUENIL, MALARONE

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    sandy
    Participant

Hi all, I recently stopped mepron and Dr. H said (by way of a phone call to me and my ND) if my prior combo of (mepron, clarith, amox, and plaquenil) wasn't working I could start malarone and STOP WHAT? (we couldn't recall his instructions) My ND's office has been trying to see what we should stop but they started me with the malarone. I stopped the mepron saying last time I had muscle weakness (still do) but I am wondering if he meant to say stop the clarith? I've had mouth sores and continuing muscle atrophy and weakness harming my ability to walk and move and sleep so I just wondered if anyone out there had any ideas. (My ND is on maternity leave now and Dr. H. has been hard to reach). Thanks, Sandy

PS I'm also suspecting a bad yeast condition as I've been on all this hard stuff (the whole range of antibiotics for more than 2 yrs) I know this can INCREASE my joint stiffness etc. but my ND didn't really respond to this when i raised it several months ago before she left.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Sandy – it would probably be best to check with Dr H's office. However, this story from a Lyme doc's blog relates how he substituted malarone for mepron in one patient whom he thought had sero-neg babesia. Lynnie

http://lymemd.blogspot.com/2009/03/fibromyalgia-remission-with-malarone.html

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

nspiker
    Participant

Sandy,

I second Lynnie's comments; Malarone is usually substituted for Mepron, when Mepron is not tolerated. 

Michele
    Participant

Nancy,

Did you see the comments in the blog Lynnie posted?!!!

Thanks for this link Lynnie! I thought it was really helpful. I know Mepron is probably soon in my future. Since the next post also mentioned babesia I read it and the comments below. There are people talking about a rash to Mepron. It made me think of yours! But maybe your added abx was something else? Eh, this may be worth a read for you anyway:

http://lymemd.blogspot.com/2009/03/note-on-babesia-and-parasite.html

Michele

nspiker
    Participant

Michele,

Wow, that's interesting!  Just yesterday I was noticing that the rash, to a lesser degree, is still there.  In fact, my ankles swelled yesterday, which hasn't happened since babesia treatment began.  We were sitting outside in the heat, watching my daughter's water polo game.  Then, when we got home, it was cooler, and the swelling and redness went down.

I can't quite figure what is behind this, but thanks for keeping this info in front of me.  Now I'm wondering if the hot bath/magnesium/epsom salts might have triggered the rash?  I don't know, but there might be more to the mepron rash reaction, than I originally thought.

What was also interesting, for those of you treating babesia or some protozoa, is that in that blog, docdog (think he's a vet) said that malarone had some combination of pyrimethamine, which is used to treat toxoplasmosis.  I benefited more from pyrimethamine, than I have any other protozoa drug so far…..makes me think.

nancy

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=50]Michele[/user] wrote:

There are people talking about a rash to Mepron.

Hi Michele,

If you check out “pseudothink's” comment on the Lymeblogspot link you posted, that is the same type rash my LLMD told me about….measles-like, itchy, small red spots in a confluent rash (not like hives). If a person is going to get the rash, it usually happens one week to 10 days in. He said to stop the mepron if that occurs, wait a week and re-start. The rash goes away and usually doesn't return the second time around.

I'm just starting Mepron next Friday…yay! :sick:

Peace, Maz

lor
    Participant

I just started mepron today.  One teaspoon 2 x day.  I was scared to start it.  I usually don't have bad reations to new drugs, if they work, I usually feel better.  But in reading about the side effects others have had, is why I was scared to start.  I have had the mepron for 2 weeks. 

Thanks all for your sharing your experences.

lor

nspiker
    Participant

Maz and Lor,

I have been taking Mepron for months with no problems.  The only time I had to back down on the dosage was when it was doubled to 2 tsp., twice a day.  Now, I'm careful to keep the dosage a little under the prescribed amount.  Maybe start out taking half what is recommended, and then add until you're at full amount. 

Happy kicking-the-parasites…..:roll-laugh:  We want you gone!:angry:
    nancy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ CLARITHRAMYACIN, AMOX,PLAQUENIL, MALARONE’ is closed to new replies.