Home Forums General Discussion checking in

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Marie
    Participant

Hi, everyone,

It's been over a month since I've posted and thought I'd update. 

I did two weeks of 300 mg zith every other day and ended up w/ a raging yeast infection.  Eyes, nose, ears, yes, yeast can go all over the place!  10 days diflucan/nystatin failed to eradicate.  When the 10 days of diflucan ran out I continued w/ the nystatin, added stronger probiotics, herbal antifungals, digestive enzymes that eat the yeast cell wall, plus kept up my yeast diet.  (I'm not on any abx now and haven't been since the two weeks of zith.)

I made a lot of progress, but the yeast was still there.  I'm now doing all that but also pulsing w/ diflucan 2x/wk.  The herxing is pretty intense.  My dr ordered a stool analysis to see what kind of yeast is in there. 

On another note, I got a cheap rebounder, and it proved disastrous for my knees and ankles.  The rebounding itself was wonderful for my body–I felt looser than I have in years.  So I'm hunting around trying to figure out which brand is “best” and how I can get a good deal. 

Kim
    Participant

Hey Marie,

Thanks for checking in.  Yeast is a bugger to treat and I still haven't got mine totally under control, although it's improved.

I have a Needak Rebounder which works really well if you're thinking of getting another one.  I've had one knee replacement and it doesn't hurt that knee at all.

Hang in there…….kim

vinny
    Participant

What do the people on this website think about the validity of the “Candida Spit Test?”  My spit test is positive with almost immediate strings forming. Yeast my be a complicating factor in my treatment plan.

vinny

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=601]Marie[/user] wrote:

I made a lot of progress, but the yeast was still there.  I'm now doing all that but also pulsing w/ diflucan 2x/wk.  The herxing is pretty intense.  My dr ordered a stool analysis to see what kind of yeast is in there. 

Marie, so sorry to hear about your candida issues. It's good your doc is looking into this for you to help figure this out.

There is a protocol for Lyme, called the Shardt Protocol, which was discovered by a German doc who had Lyme. You may already know all about this, but in case others might be interested here are a few links.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15337633

http://www.newchronicfatigue.info/uncategorized/10/diflucan-treatment-for-lymes/

http://www.treatmentforlymedisease.com/diflucan-for-lyme.html

Just wondering if this protocol is worth asking your doc about. As you're herxing, it sounds like the diflucan is hitting the target!

Peace, Maz

Marie
    Participant

[user=523]vinny[/user] wrote:

What do the people on this website think about the validity of the “Candida Spit Test?”  My spit test is positive with almost immediate strings forming. Yeast my be a complicating factor in my treatment plan.

vinny

Hi, Vinny,

I wonder the same thing.  Months before I went on abx I did a spit test, and it was negative.  When I started feeling yeasty, I did another test, and, woah!, instant results!!   

This person says that the spit test should be considered along with how the patient is feeling: 

http://www.candidayeastthrushforum.com/view_topic.php?id=127&forum_id=1

My spit test has improved as my yeast levels have down, but I'm still failing it.  I'm also herxing on the diflucan, so I think the yeast is still there.  Also, I noticed that my test results are worse if I'm in the middle of a rough spot of herxing.  It was alarming till I made the herx connection! 😉

Marie

Marie
    Participant

[user=40]Kim[/user] wrote:

I have a Needak Rebounder which works really well if you're thinking of getting another one.  I've had one knee replacement and it doesn't hurt that knee at all.

Thanks, Kim!  Good to know!

Marie
    Participant

[user=27]Maz[/user] wrote:

Just wondering if this protocol is worth asking your doc about. As you're herxing, it sounds like the diflucan is hitting the target! 

Hi, Maz,

My dr did mention the Schardt protocol when we first started diflucan.  He says he doesn't offer that protocol per se, but that diflucan would work against the yeast and might also work against any borrellia that might also be there.  So…we will see…

I try to compare my diflucan herx w/ my zith herx.  My zith herx was mostly concentrated in my tendons  The diflucan gets to my tendons, too, but also just makes me feel wiped out!  🙂

It's definitely killing something!! 🙂

Take care,

Marie

paper tiger
    Participant

I have a question about yeast…

ok, I am two things:

1) a pasta lover
    2) a beer lover.

Summer for me has always been about pasta salad, a barbecue and a few beers. Beers are super yeasty… are beers basically an invitation for disaster? Or is it ok to knock back three coronas? How about hard liquor/mixed drinks? I'm worried that all my summer barbecue drinks and meals are to be no more…

ETA: I suppose what I mean is, if you're taking mino/doxy and probiotics, can you still indulge in the aforementioned?

vinny
    Participant

Marie,

Thanks for the link you referenced. It gives me just the kind of insight I was looking for and it all makes sense. I cutting back on my Minocycline use and increasing my yeast specific probiotics. Already seeing a big decrease in gastic gas.

vinny

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

Marie
    Participant

[user=1359]paper tiger[/user] wrote:

I'm worried that all my summer barbecue drinks and meals are to be no more…

It's such an individual thing.  Please don't let my story freak you out.  🙂  The only way to know is to experiment with adding and eliminating foods from your diet.  If you haven't already, it might be a good idea to read up on yeast symptoms so that if you do develop a problem you can get on it asap. 

Enjoy your summer!

Marie
    Participant

[user=523]vinny[/user] wrote:

Already seeing a big decrease in gastic gas.

Great, Vinny!  May it continue!

JBJBJB
    Participant

Marie,

Thanks for the update. I, too, have to deal with yeast overgrow. It seems as soon as I started zithromax twice a week, my yeast is out of control.

I cough a lot whenever the day I take minocyclin. Today it is second day I stopped minocyclin, I have not coughed much. There were 4 days period I did not take minocyclin, my cough seemed to be very minimum. I hope I am not allergic to minocyclin. However, I cannot afford to lose my lungs if I keep coughing like this.

:crying:JB

Marie
    Participant

Sorry, JB.  🙁  Your yeast sounds awfully stubborn, too. 

I tried Fungal Defense from Garden of Life (cheapest at iherb.com) and NSI Candida Management (enzymes that eat the cell wall of the yeast).   That was after my initial 10 days on diflucan and before my current diflucan pulsing, but I still noticed a LOT of improvement…and all that stuff was over the counter. 

My current herbal antifungal is caprylic acid.  I just started it last week so I don't know how it's working.  Plus I have the big gun, diflucan, in there, so it's hard to tell. 

Just remember to rotate herbal antifungals…and it's not the best idea to take a lot of them at once. 

JBJBJB
    Participant

Good advice, Marie. I will give them a try!!! My mouth has a lot of yeast stuff. So the doctor gave me some antifungal pill to take care of it, in addition to diflucan. I am taking a mino break for  few days. I enjoy the none coughing day.

Thanks,

JB

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘ checking in’ is closed to new replies.