Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Davit
    Participant

I don't like it when I have all the symptoms of something. Especially when it is something with no specific test for. So here goes CFS anyone.

Davit

PhilC
    Participant

Davit,

What NSAID are you currently taking? Is it naproxen?  The reason I ask is because naproxen can cause drowsiness. It can also interact with atenolol.

See:
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a681029.html

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Davit
    Participant

Been taking Naproxen for around fifteen years and Atenolol for five but not together if I can help it. This is something new.

Davit

nspiker
    Participant

Davit,
    I was diagnosed with CFS years ago.  I assume you are referring to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.  I was never completely wiped out and tired, and never passed out.  What are your specific symptoms?  As with all these diagnoses, symptoms vary greatly.

nancy

Davit
    Participant

Unexplained anxiety (panic attacks) muscle pains in the legs non functioning nerves in a foot extreme fatigue. I won't pass out unless I close my eyes and I can open them up and wake up but it is hard. Lack of appetite, anemia, brain fog, lack of interest, dyslexia, blurred vision and head aches some time. Bloating but no stomach pain. Plumbing all works. Edema in feet.

All blood tests are normal for RA.

Davit.

Parisa
    Participant

Davit,

If I were you I would look into Epstein Barr virus and of course as we have mentioned before Lyme disease and co-infections.  

Davit
    Participant

Parrisa

Thank you I hadn't thought of that one. Anything would be better than CFS.

This is why I come here. Isn't it why we all come here?

Davit.

Davit
    Participant

Not EBV. Doctor says it is not Lyme.

nspiker
    Participant

Davit,

Your symptoms don't really sound like classic CFS symptoms.  That said, CFS has always been a wastebasket diagnosis, encompassing so many varied symptoms lasting longer than six months. 

Parisa could be right, may be a mono-type reaction to a virus like EBV.  You could have your regular GP test you for Epstein- Barr, Cytomegalovirus, HHV-6, and Coxsackie viruses.  Blood tests for determining CFS involve a low B cell count, overactive T cells, along with low natural killer cells, and of coarse high titers to different viruses.

Have you been tested for lyme?  Being a newly diagnosed lymie myself, your symptoms really sound like many that I've heard of with lyme.  Now that I've been down this lyme road, it fits much more with a lyme diagnosis.  I can't tell you how many times I was tested for lyme, and it was always negative.  Now I'm thinking it could have caused my CFS all along. 

When did these symptoms begin, and was there some flu-like event that may have triggered them?  That is also a hallmark of CFS.

nancy

nspiker
    Participant

Davit, how did you get such a quick answer to it's not EBV or lyme? 

Could it be thyroid or adrenal fatigue?

Also, just like most doctors don't know how to evaluate lyme, most do not know how to evaluate CFS either. 

Davit
    Participant

no symptoms of either

linda
    Participant

Your sleepiness made me think of narcolepsy, so I googled it and guess what? It is considered and autoimmune disease. In addition to daytime sleepiness, muscle pain, numbness, fogginess and lack of concentration, headaches, fatigue and blurred vision are also symptoms of it. Another symptom is hallucinations but that is not something that you mentioned, I don't think all patients with narcolepsy have it. It's interesting that one of the drugs that se used in treating fatigue and concentration problems in patients with fibromyalgia is Provigil, a drug that is used to treat narcolepsy. FMS, CFS and narcolepsy all have overlapping symptoms, like we see in so many of these AI diseases. I have really bad memory and it's very difficult for me to concentrate on one thing for long, this is another very big obstacle in getting my degree in math. It's kinda important to be able to remember what I read the day before, not to mention understand it.

Several years ago during my last remission, I used Provigil and found that it worked very well for the fibro symptoms of fatigue and concentration. The drawback is that it lost effectiveness after a few years, like so many drugs that we use to treat these diseases, and it does carry the risk of addiction. I no longer take it. But there are other newer drugs that do the same, and also ritalin, the ADHD drug. I'm sure there are supplements like gincko, SAM-e, etc that also help with concentration. Anyway, here's the link for the article about narcolepsy.

http://www.medicinenet.com/narcolepsy/article.htm

Take care Davit, and post some pictures of your beautiful veggies and fruits, altho it will only make me jealous that I have to buy my fruit from the store. We lived in Hawaii for a few years and we ate a lot of fresh pineapple; it tasted like a completely different fruit than those that we get here in the states. We also lived in eastern Maryland for a few years, and that is where I had a garden. I grew cantaloupe but never got to eat a single one because the terrapin turtles always got to them first. They didn't bother my cucumbers or tomatoes, but they loved the melons.

PhilC
    Participant

[user=1539]Davit[/user] wrote:

Been taking Naproxen for around fifteen years and Atenolol for five but not together if I can help it. This is something new.

Hi Davit,

I don't think the fact that you don't take them together matters. Naproxen has a very long half-life, which means you will have a significant amount in your blood all the time while you are on it. And the fact that you have taken these drugs for years doesn't matter either. The older you get, the harder it becomes for your body to metabolize drugs. My parents' dog had seizures on a regular basis and was on phenytoin for years and years, but that didn't stop it from eventually almost killing him.

Please read these pages very carefully, it is important:

Drug interactions causing Heart failure
    http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptoms/heart_failure/drug-interactions.htm

Quote from the above web page:
    “Tenormin (Atenolol) and Naprosyn (Naproxen) interaction”

Signs and Symptoms of Heart Failure
    http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=339

What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Heart Failure?
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/Hf/HF_SignsAndSymptoms.html

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Davit
    Participant

It seems I react to the filler in Cloxicillin but not to IV. I saw the doctor on sat morn. He may stick me in the Hospital and put me back on IV. Symptoms all left but I have a flare to deal with now. He ruled out stroke and heart trouble too. I have been on Cloxicillin too long. I have him interested in AP but he will only do it for me if it makes sense to him. He won't be a consultant. He is open to it though, I just hope it makes as much sense to him as to me.

Again phil, thanks for the info.

Davit

Davit
    Participant

PhilC

Both naproxen and atenolol go through the same p450 What ever, in the liver and can interfere so that one doesn't clear. Tests for liver and kidney are mandatory because of this. So it helps to space them. You would not want atenolol to start to build up. Naproxen's main side effect is bleeding. No effect once in the blood stream other than to thin the blood which could be a problem after a heart attack.

Davit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘ CFS’ is closed to new replies.