Home Forums General Discussion Central Florida Research Testing

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    sfsorrels
    Participant

I recently had a Direct Fluorescing Antibody test from Central Florida Research.  (Previously, my only positive Lyme test ever was its predecessor the Bowen test.)

This test uses FDA-approved antibodies that have been treated to fluoresce.  They are mixed with the blood specimen, observed under darkfield microscope and counted by flow cytometry. 

My result was a count of 13 Lyme bacteria out of 50,000 events counted.  To be positive I needed a count of 17.  Previously this test was negative at less than 10, equivocal/intermediate between 10 and 20, and positive if 20 or over.

Personally I wish they didn't have to say the test was negative when there were so many counted, but I believe the lab must have negatives in order to be approved for insurance payment. 

Although they require payment up front because they were not able to reach agreements with insurance companies, you can get reimbursed.

Sandra

Michele
    Participant

Sandra,

I've been wondering about the LLMD's. Do they occasionally keep retesting for lyme to see how you are progressing through their protocols? Or do they just proceed based on symptoms presented?

It is frustrating to see in the lab work the proof of some lyme, but not be enough to be acknowledged as lyme. What an odd procedure. It sure seems like it should be more like a pregnancy test.

Interesting about Central Florida Research using the dark field microscopy. There is a very long thread about using this kind of testing on the MP site.
    John, do you know why they never followed this thread of research? Or maybe they have?? I know TM is excited about prions and Aguzzi's work.

For some folks, a therapeutic probe is enough proof. But for others, the positive lab test is proof and could also potentially be used to measure and chart treatment progress. When this technology progresses further a person could determine the particular pathogens, a corresponding targeted antibiotic combination, and the duration involved in treatment.

Michele

sfsorrels
    Participant

I can speak only of my experience re testing.  My LLMD does periodically re-test but not really to check on treatment.  That's done by symptom history.  

Dr. Virginia Sherr writes in her history (see http://www.ilads.org) that she finally tested positive on a Western Blot after 10 years of treatment.

Sandra

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘ Central Florida Research Testing’ is closed to new replies.