Home Forums General Discussion Candida/yeast – need advice

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ros
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I've had candida for at least 15 years because of asthma cortisone-based medication (without which I would have been dead). I've been on the AP for 18 months (not in remission but much improved) and for the last few weeks my candida has blown out and I have thrush at both ends! I've been taking nystatin regularly all those years and it seemed to be somewhat under control but never fully though I do all the right diet things. I thought I had the flu as well as thrush but realised it's probably all candida-caused allergy related.

I've decided to ask my doctor (not sympathetic but gives me the prescriptions) for Diflucan to try to get it under control. I wonder if I should stop the minocycline for a few weeks while I tackle the candida and thrush. I'm a bit worried about the rheumatoid pain returning as I have a lot of computer work to do for the next two months (freelance and on disability welfare pension so I can't afford to refuse the work). Would the Diflucan work as well if I stay on the mino at the same time?

Any advice from experience will be much appreciated.

Ros

Denyse
    Participant

Hi Rose, I pulse MWF with doxy so I take diflucan 1x a week on Tuesdays 150 mg, and triple my dose of live cell pro-biotics. It can take a while to get it under control. But there are specific foods to help this as well. Sorry can't remeber what foods off the top of my head, but you could google to find answers on that.

Mino/ Doxcy 50mg  MWD since Jan 07

CANADIAN LIVING IN CANADA
    Diagnosis/ Diffuse Scleroderma since 05/2006
    Current Meds: Methotrexate, Minocin, Zantac, Rabeprozale, Zopiclone
    Current Supp: Nattokinase, Serrapeptase, COQ10, Milk Thistle, Folate,, B12, D3, Melissa, UP4 probiotics, N-A-C
    medical MJ
    Current Extras: FIR

Denyse
    Participant

CANADIAN LIVING IN CANADA
    Diagnosis/ Diffuse Scleroderma since 05/2006
    Current Meds: Methotrexate, Minocin, Zantac, Rabeprozale, Zopiclone
    Current Supp: Nattokinase, Serrapeptase, COQ10, Milk Thistle, Folate,, B12, D3, Melissa, UP4 probiotics, N-A-C
    medical MJ
    Current Extras: FIR

Rose
    Participant

Hi Ros:  Go to drmirkin.com and put in # W175 in his search, if that doesn't work just put in Yeast in his search.. Good luck,  I take a Diflucan once a month and try to watch my sugar intake, but am weak and often fall off the wagon so to speak..  Rose

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Ros

Rose's advice good for the candida. Having had RA and taking the asthma medication for so long, you probably also need to address leaky gut issues. I have just posted my AP Doc's visit results on the personal threads section and this gives her and the naturopath's perspective on this. Lynnie

BTW I notice you are in Byron Bay. If it is at all possible for you to travel south (to Victoria) and you are interested in doing so, I will PM you the name and address of that doc and naturopath.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

A Friend
    Participant

Hello Ros,

Subject:  Molybdenum for Candida Patients

Just last night I posted information for someone with chronic and severe sinus inflammation.  I probably should create a new topic on this necessary mineral (Molybdenum) that, when we are deficient, can result in some very debilitating symptoms.  Also, a “co-deficiency” can be involved… involving B1 and several others. 

From my own struggles with this problem several years ago (and still may be having an effect), I learned that when we develop yeast/fungal overgrowth during illness, the organisms (when they can't find Biotin in our guts, and other substances they prefer) begin to burrow deep into our tissues to find these substances, and then we are said to develop “systemic yeast/fungal overgrowth.” 

Look for the comments about “niacinamide” in the article link below.  My own research taught me that when it comes to supplementation, “niacin” and “Niacinamide”  are not equivalent for what I needed.  For myself, the “niacinamide” was the one I needed.  I did find (at the time) an excellent paper on this. I believe it was by Thorne Research, but since I lost all my files last year, I will have to try to find it again. 

[user=28]A Friend[/user][/i]
    [“edit” may get the links here]  First, go to http://www.arthritistrust.org and on the Home Page click the line to get rid of the page you are on.  Then, on the top list of links, click “Articles Important”.  This will give you a long list of Articles in alphabetical order.  The following are two versions of the same article.  The pdf version printed best for me, but the print is pretty small in both, but readable.  I may take some articles to OfcMax and have them copy them on larger paper, the print enlarged for easier reading.  AF

Molybdenum links: 

[align=left]Molybdenum for Candida albicans Patients – PDF
    Molybdenum for Candida albicans Patients – HTML[/align]
    Edited portion:  I did a search and found the Thorne Research paper:  “Monograph: Niacinamide” which has findings in various areas important to us.  One of these is about niacinamide's effects on arthritis… especially I noted affecting the knee.  (Actually, since I believe only  4 pages of the Monograph is shown, it would be impressive for us to know how strategic Niacinamide is, not only in arthritis, but also in diabetes, schizophrenia, pellagra, etc.  My thinking is that before these conditions become full-blown, symptoms can be ongoing, so many people who do not have adequate amounts of substances (or may not be able to convert substances to form this) may have this deficiency as a problem. 

http://www.thorne.com/media/niacinamide_mono7-6.pdf 

PS  I managed to butcher this edit!!!  AF

Ros
    Participant

Hi Denyse, Rose and Lynnie

I think I pressed the wrong button accidentally and the post went off before I'd finished. Anyway, thanks again for your input. I've been addressing leaky gut and gluten sensitivity for 2 years. I don't know that I've noticed much difference. I also have become very strict with the anti-candida diet 🙁 and that together with nystatin has improved things over the last couple of weeks.

I got a prescription for Diflucan 200 mg from my doctor but he wasn't keen on me having it because of the liver side effects. I said I wanted to try it and he eventually agreed. But I haven't filled it yet and will try other things first. From my research some people seem to have a terrible reaction to it and others don't seem to be affected much.

One thing that interested me about the minocin – I stopped taking it for a week while I was trying to get the candida under control and had a lot of pain after a few days off it. I've been having 100mg every day for about 4 months and it makes a huge difference. I conclude from this that its anti-inflammatory effect is very high and for me it's much better than NSAIDS or steroids. I've gone back to the pulsed MWF dose and it seems to be ok. One day I might get brave enough to suffer the herxheimer effects of a higher dose (when I don't have to work).

Lynnie, I can't make it to Victoria. I've actually never consulted a naturopath formally (had advice from those in health food shops and other alternative modalities) so may try that soon.

I get so sick of this interminable search for what to do to get healthy. I guess I'm not the only one. Sometimes I feel like just throwing out all my supplements and stopping all the drugs and seeing what happens! But remembering the pain and misery of the past keeps me trying.

Thanks again to all the inspiring and encouraging people on this board.

Ros

Ros
    Participant

Hi Friend

Thanks for that interesting information and article. I'll investigate it further. I have read that the trace minerals are often more important than vitamins but it's quite difficult to find them in health shops. I probably need to go to a good naturopath because I feel sometimes as though I'm just doing hit-and-miss attempts to get some outcome. I think I need a comprehensive overall plan to really tell what's working. At least I know the minocin works for inflammation!

Ros

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Ros – Understand about not being able to get to Victoria. Perhaps you can find a naturopath who uses Vega testing machine for sensitivities (it's detailed in my post yesterday about my visit and the results and it's in the Personal Progress section). Also understand your complete frustration about trying to find what works. You might also consider a salicylates elimination diet for a while – salicylates are indicated in a whole raft of allergies/sensitivities. Asthma is one of them. I'd never heard of them until the doc sent me a list of salicylate-laden foods to avoid and I started doing some research. I posted on salicylates and a link on them back in Feb (just search 'salicylates' in the search function).  I found great info, especially from the website of the woman who runs the Allergy Clinic at Royal Prince Alfred (RPA) Hospital in Sydney.

Another thing my doc told me to do (and this is not person specific) is to drink 3 litres of boiled or bottled (i.e. purified) water per day and to salt all cooked food, so the water gets taken up in the tissues where it's needed.

BTW my new AP doc does do phone consultations if that's of any interest to you. And they're not expensive. Just a thought. I wish you well and hope you find some answers soon. I'll also keep posting on my progress on the new regime. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘ Candida/yeast – need advice’ is closed to new replies.