Home Forums General Discussion Can you herx from MSM

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Andrea
    Participant

Boy, I am having a terrible week.  My joints are blowing up like balloons and the pain is terrible.  Everyday a new joint.  The only thing I think of is I started taking MSM in order to try and back off of my anti inflammatory OR I changed from Brand name to generic Minocycline about 3 weeks ago. 

Any thoughts?  I'm going crazy and I'm moving in 2 weeks.  I really need my strength.  HELP

Jo
    Participant

[user=269]Andrea[/user] wrote:

Boy, I am having a terrible week.  My joints are blowing up like balloons and the pain is terrible.  Everyday a new joint.  The only thing I think of is I started taking MSM in order to try and back off of my anti inflammatory OR I changed from Brand name to generic Minocycline about 3 weeks ago. 

Any thoughts?  I'm going crazy and I'm moving in 2 weeks.  I really need my strength.  HELP

My husband takes MSM. 24,000 mg per day.

We have found MSM to be a perfect anti inflammation product, that also controls yeast.

However, it is also a detox. It will totally cleanse your body of toxic substances. That means all those toxic substances will be floating around in your body waiting for your liver to process them out.  You may experience detox effects from that, and if you have liver issues, it's best to go very, very slow.

It is suggested that one start small at about 1000 mg per day, and then increase the dose every 3 days that have no detox symptoms.  

My Mr Perfect takes it 3 times a day and uses 1500 mg tablets.

It will take significanty longer to get the anti inflammation effect, and some people don't have the patience and simply drop it. 

If you want to use this fantastic supplement, you should take it slow and watch for detox symptoms.   The detox symptoms will vary, depending on what your particular toxic substances are. 

For severe detox symptoms, taking a mineral salt bath is suggested, as the MSM is water soluable and can leave the body thru the bath water.  In fact that is one of the reasons our diet is sulfur deficient, because when we steam or boil or soak something the sulfer gets quickly leached out.

Then cut your dose back a little until you've had time to recover and detox a bit more, before increasing again, only after 3 days with no detox symptoms.

If the inflammation symptoms are worse than the detox symptoms, then it might be worth your while to spend a whole lot of time soaking in a mineral salt bath, or (grins) a nice hot tub. 

Otherwise, just take it slow and don't stop your other anti inflammation medication until the MSM has reached your personal effective dose.

You should also be aware that most people report that the anti inflammation effect doesn't kick in until you reach 12,000 mg per day or more.

For Mr Perfect, it didnt' work at all until he hit 18,000 mg per day.

I've heard a lot about the generic Minocycline not working as well as the Brand name, particularly if you're taking the time release ones.  If so, you may be experiencing a rebound effect of the bacteria having a major growth party.

Hopefully you've worked that out by now.

Blessings

Jo

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Andrea,

Sounds like this may be a lot to be doing all at once on top of the stress of your upcoming move. In your situation, I'd probably drop any supplements that may be causing a herx for the time being and increase the anti-inflammatory for a bit, just till the worst is over and you're all moved and settled.

Some people have reported getting generic duds or that a generic is less effective than the brand. Might be a good idea to get back to what was working for a while, if you can….the brand Minocin.

Later, when you're back on track, if you decide to start reintroducing things, might be an idea to do it one at a time, making it easier to see what might have been causing your probs.

Hope you feel better soon! Jo's suggestions for detox baths sounds good. I'd also make sure to eat very well, drink plenty of water, ensure regular, daily eliminations, and take the lemon/olive oil detox drink daily before bed…you're probably already getting enough exercise to keep lymph moving by preparing for the move! 😉

Hope you feel better soon, Andrea, and all the best with your move!

Peace, Maz

Trudi
    Participant

Andrea–

I restarted MSM about a week ago; 4000 mg a day; could hardly walk I ached so; reduced it to 2000 mg a day and I'm slowly feeling better.  I thought I was herxing, and since you were experiencing additional aches after adding MSM, I'm pretty sure that's what it was.

Can't imagine doing 18,000 mgs a day :doh:!!

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Jo
    Participant

[user=442]Trudi[/user] wrote:

Andrea–

I restarted MSM about a week ago; 4000 mg a day; could hardly walk I ached so; reduced it to 2000 mg a day and I'm slowly feeling better.  I thought I was herxing, and since you were experiencing additional aches after adding MSM, I'm pretty sure that's what it was.

Can't imagine doing 18,000 mgs a day :doh:!!

Trudi

Goodness, that's a very high dose to start with.  About 4 times the suggested level, no wonder you had those problems.

Best to start low and go slow, let the MSM do it's thing at each dose level and wait for at least 3 clear days with no detox symptoms before adding more.

For those who have the patience to move it up slowly, it's so very  much worth the wait, once it gets to the anti inflammation level it's absolutely awesome.

I think it's the perfect complement for the AP program, because it will detox, control yeast, eliminate inflamation, and assist the medication to cross the cell barrier. 

Blessings

Jo

Trudi
    Participant

Jo–

That's good to know about the dosing.  I decided not to take any today–hold off until symptoms settle down.  Bad weather is heading in our direction and may be contributing to the aches.

Right now I'm on doxycycline for Lyme; that treatment is done on Monday, June 30th; I'm looking forward to going on a reduced regiment. i.e. pulsing MWF; I did much better on that before being diagnosed with Lyme.  Will talk to the doctor today to see what the next plan of attack is :)!

Poor health is a humbling experience!  I will never take good health for granted!!

Thanks for the info–

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Patti D
    Participant

Hi Andrea,

I hope you are feeling better. I am new to AP only 6 months and don't know what MSM is. Could you explain please. Does everyone take this? I am trying to limit my extras(Was taking fish oil and multi vitamin but realized that it contained 200% of daily allowance of vitamin D:sick::shock::angry: I have no idea if D is good or bad but there is so much information on which”road to travel” that sometimes I get lost, and need to go back to my starting point, minocycline! I am taking baby steps and hopefully things will fall into place. MSM sounds good. Please explain. thanks!

Happy days!

Patti D

Jo
    Participant

[user=287]Patti D[/user] wrote:

Hi Andrea,

I hope you are feeling better. I am new to AP only 6 months and don't know what MSM is. Could you explain please. Does everyone take this? I am trying to limit my extras(Was taking fish oil and multi vitamin but realized that it contained 200% of daily allowance of vitamin D:sick::shock::angry: I have no idea if D is good or bad but there is so much information on which”road to travel” that sometimes I get lost, and need to go back to my starting point, minocycline! I am taking baby steps and hopefully things will fall into place. MSM sounds good. Please explain. thanks!

Happy days!

Patti D

MSM, methylsulfonylmethane (METH-?l-sul-FON-il-METH-ane)  is a derivative of DMSO and is a water soluable Sulfur.

It somehow interfers with the inflammation response of the immune system, without interfering with the rest of the immune response.  There are many theories, but none are proven, and as long as it suppresses the inflammation without damaging the rest of the immune system, that's all that's important to me.

Blessings

Jo

A Friend
    Participant

[user=269]Andrea[/user] wrote:

Andrea,

I can't remember all the details, but have read that some people have an intolerance to something that is in MSM and other products — may be sulphur???  Will check this out and get back with you if I find it again.  If I am remembering this correctly, I've also read that there is a way to correct this intolerance (by adding another mineral or substance when we take products containing this ingredient) that can let us effectively use this type product.  Some holistic MD's have a method of “clearing” intolerances. 

One of the posts/replies to your post mentions your reactions can be a result of detoxification.  If this is what is happening, then that would also make sense. 

Meanwhile, others on this board may have educated opinions and answers to your post. 

Good luck to you,

AF

EDIT:  I just did a search using:  “MSM and sulphur and fungus” and several interesting links came up that “may” explain your reactions.  The testimonials on this one below are quite interesting, and may furnish you more information.  However, I noticed from the search results that there had been some contamination of some MSM products.  So, if I were taking MSM, I would make sure I purchased or ordered a brand that was manufactured by a very reputable company and was pharmaceutical grade supplement.  If you will go online to http://www.needs.com, they are very discriminating about supplements they carry, and you can search on their site and get the names of some reputable companies making this product.  Also, you might ask to speak with a healthcare counselor, who can help you figure out your reactions, even send you free abstracts, etc.. 

http://www.arthritis-msm-supplements.com/testimonials.htm

Patti D
    Participant

Hi Jo,

Well can't take anything sulfur as I am very sensitive to it just like AF said. Thank you for the response.

Happy days!

Patti D

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘ Can you herx from MSM’ is closed to new replies.