Home Forums General Discussion Can Spouse Get Medical Leave Time Off to go with me to AP?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    sjess
    Participant

Does anyone know if my husband has any legal grounds to get a medical time off to take me to my treatment? I don't know the laws.

Unfortunately, my husband's employer and boss are not sentimental and will be unlikely to give him time off because they are moved to help us :X. He's already signed up for his time off, but I would think he could have some legal ground to change the dates of his time off for something like this.

I really don't think I can do this without him. I thought I would just stay in Ida Grove by myself, but I know I am thinking I can do more than I actually can and I'm finally realizing that. I can't think of anyone who could make this trip with me. My parents have passed on and my mother-in-law is out of state for several months. Everyone else is busy working or whatever.

I'm kinda upset about this…I really want to go and start this treatment ASAP. Thanks for listening. I would appreciate advice.

Sharon

mkbeeliever
    Participant

Google Family Medical Leave Act and see if any of the conditions might help you out. I don't know much about it but its worth a shot!

Parisa
    Participant

The Family Medical Leave Act gives family members 12 weeks a year to take care of family members and this includes doctors visits.  See the link below:

http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/index.htm

mkbeeliever
    Participant

Darn blackberry double posted again.

sjess
    Participant

Thanks so much you guys. You made my day!!!!!:roll-laugh: 

Sharon

Kim
    Participant

Sharon,

Here's another possibility.  You and hubby go to Dr. Sr. for an evaluation and then get the prescription (maybe even buy the Clindy from the hospital there) and then do the home health infusions at your home.  That way you could probably only be away for a day instead of a week.

Good luck…..kim

Suzanne
    Participant

There used to be something in the FMLA about applying only to businesses with 50 employees at your geographic location?   I worked for a large company that did grant me FMLA once, but they said they didn't have to because there were only five employees in my city.

I hope everything works out for you.  Maybe you can try to schedule your appointment to coincide with a company holiday so it takes less time off?

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

sjess
    Participant

Hi Kim,

Thanks for that suggestion. That would definitely be ideal! I forgot about my hubby having to take care of the cows–thought of the cats and the dog, but now the cows. He's really not comfortable leaving the farm chores to someone else in the dead of winter and I really would like to start this treatment asap!

I'm glad to know I can do it this way. I live just a few miles from the Guthie County Hospital and that will definitely be doable for me. What a relief 😎

Sharon

Kim
    Participant

Sharon,

You can email Dr. S. ahead of time and see what he says.

Good luck…..kim

judy cash
    Participant

Sharon,

Kims idea, is good, go for you original visit with Dr. S. thenHave the treatments at your local hospital out patient services center. Dr. S. will communicate with them for instructions if you ask him to. Or here is another suggestion. I have an  Amish friend who after getting in Iowa, was without transportation, she said there  is a taxi service she was going to use, but the nurses at the hospital and some other patients who were at the motel at the same time, wouldn't let her use the taxi. They drove her every day. Now I'm sure they can't do this for everyone, but its something to check into… I was worried about going the first time, but it worked out so much more simple than I thought it would…. I'm sure you can do it by yourself if you have too.I hope you don't have to though…..its better with someone along… The ladies who manage  the Super 8 were very nice and helpful, they may know someone who could take you back and forth for your treatments… Good Luck

Judy

sjess
    Participant

Hi Kim and Judy,

My husband was really upset about all this. He wants to take me and be with me, but just can't and he is super worried about me being up there alone should the weather turn bad or something.

I've decided to just go to my appointment on the 25th with my husband (it's his day off) and talk to Dr. S and find out what he has to say. If he feels I should be in Ida Grove for the treatments, then I'll schedule treatments for another time when my husband can come with me. If Dr. S thinks it's okay for me to do the treatments here in Guthrie, then that's what I'll do. Hubby works early mornings (5-9am), so he could take me to the local hospital when he gets off work.

I'm really feeling :crying: right now. I'm feeling like my life force is going away. I can only do sedentary things for a short while. I'm really struggling. I needed to find AP. Thanks for listening.

JBJBJB
    Participant

[user=1956]sjess[/user] wrote:

I'm really feeling :crying: right now. I'm feeling like my life force is going away. I can only do sedentary things for a short while. I'm really struggling. I needed to find AP. Thanks for listening.

Sharon,

I feel for you, too. Hang in there, girl. You will get a lot of energy back under Dr. S' care. I used to be a very tough lady, very independent. I never bent to ask Simeon's mercy, including my husband. Now, I have to “beg” him to open a jar for me because I can't do it….it makes me angry and depressed. I know how you feel.

If you can get all the information of your home hospital infusion center, especially it is great if they can send nurse to your home to do the IV, you take this information to Dr. S when you go there. This way, his nurse can contact the infusion center to get you all set up.

The information should include the following:

The name of the hospital infusion center

Phone number

Contact person

If they have website, print them out.

I sure hope you will have a good visit. Dr. S is such a great doctor I've ever seen. You will get much encouragement from him.

JB

Parisa
    Participant

Hi Sharon,

I know this is all so difficult especially with you being so sick.  Don't worry.  Everything will fall into place.  I think in some prior posts you said you were going to start some probiotics.  That's a step in the right direction.  Next, look into NAC.  I think it could be very beneficial for your lungs and it also can help protect the liver. 

Your appointment with Dr. S is right around the corner.  If you can't stay the week, then at least you will be started on the minocin and that is one more step in the right direction.  JB had some great tips.  It may be possible to get the infusion at home.  Sometimes when things don't work out something better comes along.  Maybe the better in your case will be that you don't get the IVs with Dr. S but instead at home or hospital closer to you which in the long run will be less stressful and tiring. 

sjess
    Participant

Thanks for the encouragement. I played some Spider Solitare on my computer and that helped take my mind off things for awhile.

I will check on whether I can get the infusion at home. That would be so fantastic! I never thought of that. We have a local Public Home Nursing place. They might be able to do that too. I will check into it. Thanks for the suggestions. Will let you know what I find out.

BTW, I have some probiotics, so I started taking them today. Will have to check on the NAC. I buy most of my stuff on-line anymore…shopping wears me out. I'm really hoping this will turn around for me. I've been sick for so long–20+ years. I've forgotten what it feels like to feel good! It's hard to believe that remission and feeling good is possible…but I do believe it. I just thought I was going to have to learn to accept feeling this way for the rest of my life. So glad all you guys are spreading the word about AP. I don't think I would have had the courage to try it if it weren't for all the testimonials and information and support here.

Dear JB–I can totally relate to your jar story. One thing I've noticed though, it really makes the guys feel good when they can show how big and strong they are–hehehe 😉

judy cash
    Participant

Sharon,

Hang in there , things will fall into place as far as all these decisions you are having to make right now. Dr. S. will work with you iun any way he can ,like setting this up for you to do the treatments at home.That is one of the things that make him so special. He wants you to get well. I really believe AP will improve your health. Just be strong until you can get rolling with treatment. Be sure to take a lot of Probotics. You are in my prayers.

Love,

Judy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘ Can Spouse Get Medical Leave Time Off to go with me to AP?’ is closed to new replies.