Home Forums General Discussion Can herx make ESR go higher

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    JBJBJB
    Participant

I have been herxing. I have general pain in my arm joints and VERY swelling fingers ever since I started on AP a month ago. I am wondering if herxing can make erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) go higher due to inflammation?

Theoretically speaking, it should not, due to daily minocyclin, right? I am just wondering. My next appointment with my local rheumy is not until late July. I want to see if I do have higher ESR, perhaps I should take some anti-inflammatory med.

JB

Fran
    Participant

JB-  I don't know what else you have tried for anti-inflammatories but starting on fish oil (pretty high doses) and turmeric taken on a daily basis could result in a reduction of your inflammation levels in a couple of months.  You won't notice it right away, but over time it seems to work—my experience.  These are just two of the many different supplements I experimented with to bring my esr and crp levels down.  I continue to take fish oil/krill oil and turmeric, although not near the levels I did when I was at my worst.  Good luck!

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=266]JBJBJB[/user] wrote:

I am wondering if herxing can make erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) go higher due to inflammation? 

Hi JB,

On the main site, under Physicians Packet and Historical Protocol, the following info is given to help distinguish a flare from herx in a lab report. I've cut and pasted the relevant bits below, but you can read more under the section entitled, 

“The Herxheimer flare is the first indication that the antibiotic is reaching its target, and therefore considered a good sign.”

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=studies.display&display_id=184#Anchor-Laboratory-45656

“Laboratory tests can help differentiate between a worsening of disease (RA flare), a Herxheimer reaction to microbial toxins, and an allergic reaction to medication.

1. WBC will elevate in a Herxheimer and lower in a flare. [/*:3ixl5u2h]
    2. A Herxheimer will also exhibit a coincidental elevation of SED rate, gamma globulin and total globulin, and a fall in serum albumin and hematocrit. Patients who exhibit this flare reaction accompanied by anemia, depression of serum albumin, elevated total globulin and gamma globulin are probably reflecting a more intense reaction pattern to anti-L substances than in hematologically mild cases. [/*:3ixl5u2h]
    3. A marked increase in eosinophils (for instance about 30%) is an indication of an allergic reaction to the drug.”

[/*]
    Hope this helps!

Peace, Maz

JBJBJB
    Participant

Maz,

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Great information. My Ag raito and Globulin is always higher. In the beginning my Family Physican thought I might have cancer, or something going on…. This information helps me to be prepared when I get back from Australia. Thanks!!!

Fran,

good suggestions. I've been on fish oil. I will get some turmeric you mentioned. Thanks!!!

JB

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘ Can herx make ESR go higher’ is closed to new replies.