Home Forums General Discussion Bunion surgery

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sierrra
    Participant

I'm having bunion surgery on my right foot at the end of August. Has anyone else with RA had this done?

Sierra

Joe M
    Participant

Yep – Michelle had it done about a year after being dx'ed with RA and when it was quite uncontrolled, which would be about 5-6 yrs ago.  She had both feet done at the same time so had to crawl around for a week or two.  The long term results have been fantastic – she hasn't had a foot problem since.  She had the “radical” bunionectomy where they saw part of your foot out and screw it back together.  The RA really didn't affect the bunion surgery one way or another, just make sure your surgeon knows what meds you are taking.

Andrea
    Participant

I've thought about this many time and my podiatrist told me that I could have it done but because of the RA the bunions would mostlikely come back and I'd have them again.  I decided to wait until my RA was a little more under control before doing it.  I often wonder how much of my foot pain is from the bunions and how much is the RA.

My other issue is that I have very few days where my feet feel good that 4-6 week recover time just seems to overwhelm me.  I need every good day I can get with my feet.  There are so many things I still want to do and of course they all involve using my feet in some way or another………

Patti D
    Participant

I would love to have the surgery as I have something a little different. My type of bunion is on top of the toe and really called a bone spur which too requires bone being shaved off.

I am considering do this soon just in case we windup with goverment run healthcare.The goverment may not consider that type of surgery necessary,Let me tell you those bunnies hurt for sure!
    Patti

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘ Bunion surgery’ is closed to new replies.