Home Forums General Discussion Brand Minocin vs. Minocycline

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    angel7
    Participant

I did want to also post last nite that during the years that I have been on the Minocin medication I cannot take the generic.  My doctor prefers patients to take the brand  medication because it is time released beads vs. powder which is released all at once.  I received meds one time and they looked the same as they always did; however, I began to feel very bad and went into a terrible herx and had not done so in the past so I did not understand why I was feeling so badly.  Since I would take the  meds in the middle of the night to avoid taking with other things, something told me to open up the capsule and check it and low and behold, when something tells you to do so, you do it because it was POWDER, and not the  little beads.  I had been sent the generic minocycline and not the brand.  I don't know if I would have started the generic from the beginning if it would have been different.  Wanted to know if someone else could share in our their medication taking experiences.  Thank you very much;)Kathy

This post has been moved to General Discussion area where it can receive replies.

Personal History and Progress section is for author's journal notes only and cannot generate responses. RBFV

amyminer
    Participant

I am on the generic. Just experiencing some itching. I called my pharmacy and they told me it would be $550 for the name brand. Still waiting to see if it makes a huge difference. Need to do more research about that

Maz
    Keymaster

Kathy and Amy, if this helps, if you go to the search box above and type in “brand vs generic,” or “Minocin vs Minocycline,” you will find this topic has come up very often in the past with lots of good info on how a number of folk here order Stiefel brand pelleted Minocin from Canada for a very reduced cost.

Peace, Maz

JeffN
    Participant

I have SD and have been on generic mino for my entire AP career. For the most part I have been on the generic produced by Watson for a few months I was on Ranbaxy (sp?) brand but found the Watson to be easier on my stomach. I have requested Watson from my pharmacy and so far they have been able to supply that. I have had a good result – would my result have been better with brand name? I don't know but this has worked well.

angel7
    Participant

Maz, I do get my medication from Canada.  What had happened when I called they had told me another company had somehow gotten some of its customers, me being one of them.   Don't ask, I don't know how it happened.  I believe they order the stuff where they could get it the cheapest.  I received the meds from Switzerland and they were the ones that were powder and not the pellets inside.  It was a big mix up and I had to go through a bit of stuff but eventually, got it straightened out.  I have to order from Canada because although I have decent insurance, they want to know blah blah why I take it and want information from my doctor so to avoid all that hassle because there are sooooooooo many doctos who do not believe in the AP therapy I go ahead and pay for my minocin getting it from Canada.  Thanks Again!!!!! Blessings to You:)

angel7
    Participant

Amy, Good Evening.  I do not have internet access only when I get over to my daughter's House.  I just wanted you to know that even though I have decent insurance, I get my drug from Canada.  You can go online and find Canadian Pharmacies.  I know when I read the book The New Arthritis Breakthrough that alot of those people were on the generic minocycline and were helped and perhaps I would have also if I would have started it from the beginning.  But, since I started on the brand which my doctor preferred and then accidently took the generic, I went into a terrible herx so I pay and stay on the brand because doc said if you switch from the brand to generic you could have some sort of allergic reaction and then would not be able to go back to the brand after that.  Now quite sure about the whole things doc was  talking about but followed docs orders and I stay on the brand.  Luckily, I had only taken a few of the generic when I discovered that and went back to the brand without having any problems.  As soon as I did, I recovered from the herx and felt much better.  Take Care.  Thanks so much for your reply.:)

angel7
    Participant

Jeff.  Good Evening.  Thanks for the reply.  I know alot of people have had successful results with the generic and perhaps if I would have started it from the beginning, I would have also.  It's expensive but cheaper and I get my drug from Canada.  Like you, I am totally for my AP therapy versus God knows what all I would have to be on if I did not have this therapy.  I have pain but nothing serious.  I try to make sure I get plenty of rest, etc.  I only know that with AP therapy, I live a pretty normal life.  Without it, believe me, I remember from whence I came and do not want to go back there.  Grateful for the doctors who believe in the therapy and in this day and age with all the weird drugs and bad reactions, I am grateful to God and doctor.  Take Care.  Kathy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘ Brand Minocin vs. Minocycline’ is closed to new replies.