Home Forums General Discussion Brand Minocin

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    TrustingGod
    Participant

Does anyone know if the manufacturer is making the brand again? The brand is easier on the stomach. Or does anyone know of a pelletized generic?

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

I just did some checking, and it looks like Minocin was discontinued. Do you take minocycline with food, or on an empty stomach?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

TrustingGod
    Participant

I have taken it with food and without food. I had to scale back how frequently I take it because of how it affects my stomach. I take the Torrent brand.

PhilC
    Participant

I always take minocycline with some food (that is low in minerals like calcium and iron). I tried taking it on an empty stomach a couple of times and quickly concluded that it’s a bad idea.

How much minocycline were you taking before you scaled back? And what is your diagnosis — what disease are you treating?

- Albert Einstein

vinny
    Participant

I have taken Minoz 100 coated extended release tablet from alldaychemist at arise on an empty stomach daily for years. I am not aware of it causing me stomach issues. I think this product is as good as the pelletized branded Minocin

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

TrustingGod
    Participant

@Phil- Dx is RA. I had been taking 100 mg a day for 20+ years. I am now taking it three times a week because the generic is affecting my stomach.

@Vinny
    – I would prefer a pill made in the U.S.

vinny
    Participant

Trustinggod-India has higher standards than the U.S. and they don’t rape you on price. I have been buying Minoz for a decade,

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

TrustingGod
    Participant

I spoke with a compounding pharmacist today. He is going to place the minocycline powder in an enteric-coated capsule that will bypass the stomach. He is also going to use the pure powder to avoid any fillers. Thoughts?

PhilC
    Participant

How much would that cost? Another option to consider is to buy some large, enteric-coated capsules and place your generic capsules inside them. Size 00 capsules would probably be large enough.

Although it did occasionally bother my stomach years ago, minocycline almost never does now. I always take mino with food. Not doing so is asking for trouble. About two to three hours after I eat breakfast, I take one 50 mg capsule of minocycline followed by a capsule of Tonalin (or fish oil). Then I eat some pretzels. About 30 minutes later, I take two 50 mg capsules of minocycline followed by a capsule of vitamin E and a capsule of pumpkin seed oil. Then I eat some more pretzels.

And there’s another thing I do that probably helps (it seems to). Any time I experience anything that feels like it could be heartburn or acid indigestion, I take 20 mg of famotidine. Usually, though, I will just take 10 mg as a preventive if I’ve eaten something earlier (like garlic) that tends to cause heartburn, but I am not having any symptoms yet. I almost always take famotidine at least 20 to 30 minutes after a meal, or at bedtime. Normally, I only need to take it once per day. This isn’t they way they tell you to take famotidine, but it works for me, and I believe that it interferes less with digestion when taken this way.

Do you live near Mexico? Pelleted minocycline is still available in Mexico, but the brand name there is different. In Mexico it is called Micromycin. Unfortunately, health insurance may not cover prescriptions filled in Mexico.

- Albert Einstein

TrustingGod
    Participant

Phil, thank you for the suggestions–all great ideas.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.