Home Forums General Discussion Blood Test Questions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Devie
    Participant

I got my blood test results back today minus the RF and the mycoplasma.  

I am mildly anemic and have slightly elevated liver enzymes which I assume is from the sulfasalazine so I am going to cut those down to 1 pill twice a day, rather than 2 pills twice a day.  My RBC was a little low.

I was negative for lyme and strep.  The parvo was positive for past infection but negative for anything current.  My ESR was normal, even a little low but my CRP was at 15 showing mild inflammation.

I was wondering if anyone here was blood test savvy and might give me some insights.

Thanks as always  Devie

Loria Chaddon
    Participant

If the liver enzymes are up, that means that most likely the medication is starting to affect your liver.  I give my husband milk thistle supplements twice a day to help protect his liver and clean the toxins out.

You might have your ferritin levels checked.  Also, are you supplementing with B vitamins?  They are integral to red blood cell production.  If any of these are too low, you will become anemic.

He has been anemic for months.  I have been giving him B vitamin out the ears, to no effect.  It turns out that his ferritin levels are elevated, but his blood serum iron levels are low.  Essentially his body is not utilizing the stored iron (ferritin) in his body.  One of the causes of elevated ferritin levels is hemochromatosis, (which he does not appear to have).  It can cause liver damage and could (I think) lead to an elevation of liver enzymes.

We just recently found out he has an enlarged spleen.  The spleen filters and stores blood cells.  The way my ANP described it is that the blood cells live in the spleen when they are not circulating.  It also is part of the lymphatic system.  An enlarged spleen traps blood cells, causing anemia.  The more cells get trapped, the larger the spleen gets.  The larger the spleen gets, the more cells are trapped.  It is a rather vicious cycle.  If your anemia does not improve with supplementation or your ferritin levels are elevated, with no hint of hemochromatosis, you may need to have an ultrasound on your spleen.

Hope this helps a little.

Devie
    Participant

My ferritin levels are normal but I am going to start takin B12 for sure- thanks!

Loria Chaddon
    Participant

Best to take a full B-Complex supplement.  B-12 is importanat, but so are the others.  🙂  Good luck.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

You always need a full B-Complex as a base and then you can take one of them in addition on top. Found this out years ago from a nutitionist and then it was supported by a doc. Sometimes the docs 'forget' to tell you about this. Your body needs all the B's to function properly – as well as an additional one in isolation if required.   

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

sfsorrels
    Participant

Which Lyme test did you have?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘ Blood Test Questions’ is closed to new replies.