Home Forums General Discussion Biofilms

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    sfsorrels
    Participant

In the new Under Our Skin film, Borrelia burgdorferi are also shown to form biofilms.

Sandra

DianeWI
    Participant

What are bio-films?

Diane/WI

sfsorrels
    Participant

http://bacteriality.com/2008/05/26/biofilm/

I think of them as colonies of bacteria that work together.

The biofilm makes them much more difficult to eradicate.

Sandy

linda
    Participant

My AP doc in Scottsdale decribed biofilms as kind of a mucus film surrounding the cells- not a cell wall, more like a thick coating that makes it difficult for abx to get thru. he also believes that mycoplasmas use magnesium to help build these biofilms, and advises not taking magnesium supplements- the opposite of what most people here believe. He was writing a paper on it when I fired him.

linda

Texas T.
    Participant

Linda, just gotta say I LOVE you kitty picture!  Laughed Out Loud!  :roll-laugh:

Bill
    Participant

I understand that there may be certain types of garlic supplements that are supposed break down biofilms. This may be why some MP'rs herx especially hard after taking garlic. But I must say i'm not certain of this at this time , but it is something I have heard.

Be well,

Bill

SusanSD
    Participant

Sandra,

I was just listening to a pediatrician's podcast on chronic ear infections and they mentioned that biofilms and bacteria were found in 100% of a group of children with otitis media with effusion who were getting tubes surgically placed. In a control group of children and adults who were getting cochlear implants and had no history of ear infections, they found no bacteria or biofilms.

The pediatrician cautioned that we don't know if the bacteria make the biofilms or if the biofilms allow bacteria to lurk and not be active. He did say biofilms are made of proteins and used the term extracellular matrix. It is hoped that future antibiotics can penetrate these biofilms to eradicate lurking bacteria.

sfsorrels
    Participant

Fascinating information!

Wouldn't it be wonderful if this were the answer to many of our chronic illness problems.

In the movie Under Our Skin, the biofilm looks like a layer of Vaseline over a bunch of spirochetes.

It's my understanding the Xylitol breaks down biofilms in the nasal passages/sinuses when used in a nasal irrigator (Brand name: Breathe Ease).  

Sandy

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Sandy,

There is a new book out (published and available sometime this month), by author and medical write, Pamela Weintraub, documenting the history of Lyme, the two standards of care, the politics and what might be done about this, as well as her own family's very difficult journey to getting the care they needed, starting with their teenaged son, whose young life was uttely destroyed by undiagnosed Lyme and inadequate medical care and testing methods. You can read the first heartrending chapter online at her site:

http://www.cureunknown.com

Peace, Maz

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘ Biofilms’ is closed to new replies.