Home Forums General Discussion Best starting dose of Mino

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    goldengate99
    Participant

hi, what is the generally accepted “best” starting dose of mino?

A Friend
    Participant

[user=434]goldengate99[/user] wrote:

hi, what is the generally accepted “best” starting dose of mino?

We here are not generally qualified to give specifics about dosage for a particular individual; however, my own experience on AP using 100 mg Minocin brand capsules was twice daily on M-W-F. 

If an individual is started on this pulsing dosage, or daily dosage, and have many reactions after beginning (what we refer to as Herxheimer reactions), then many of us believe we should back-off a bit (lower the dose or the frequency at least temporarily to what we can tolerate.)  I believe for those who have to go to work each day, or have children, and have to be able to function, we may even do ourselves a favor by taking it slower.  Most still improve.  But you need to educate yourself about a lot of related things to being on AP. 

If you have not read Henry Scammell's book, which includes the book and work of Dr. Thomas McPherson Brown, then I strongly encourage you to read it. 

Also, look at the documents on this RBF site for beginners to antibiotic protocol (AP).  Also, if you will go to http://www.rheumatic.org and click on Frequently Asked Questions, this is a very good guideline for those on AP, and seems to cover most of our questions.  RBF was not online when I was using this type information, and this site's FAQs were the ones I read at that time. 

Good luck to you… and sorry to be so late replying.  I just saw your post. 

AF

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

I completely agree. There is no right answer to that question. It depends on each  individual. Are you working with an AP doc? If so, these are questions best brought to him/her. And the absolute best thing you can do for yourself is to read and educate yourself on all aspects of the AP approach. As A Friend pointed out, the book is a great starting point and there is a wealth of information on this site and on rheumatic.org. Lynnie   

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

goldengate99
    Participant

Hi,

Thank you.  I am working with an AP friendly doc and he suggested that I start with 50mg twice a day, working up to 100mg twice a day.   I thought that most of you did the MWF thing and I asked him about that – he said it was up to me. 

I started mino about a week ago and today, for the first time ever, I woke up with significant swelling in my hands.  They *really* hurt. 

I am wondering if I should have just started with Enbrel.  I'm not a great candidate for Mtx b/c of low WBC counts.

I am so confused and worried and sick about this.  I am 38 with 2 little kids under the age of 3.  I have a lot on my plate.  I'm sure we all have a lot on our plates…. I'm just really really worried about the future.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

I'm sure you are worried as you have just started, you have 3 young children and you will be wondering whether what's happening is good or bad. Use every resource available to you to support you, including this Board. And that is also why it is really important to keep reading and educating yourself. If you go to the Education drop- down menu on the Home Page of this site (located in the grey bar at top right hand side) one of the items in the drop down menu is called Brochure Sheets. In there is one called the Jarisch-Herxhimer Reaction (often called a “herx” for short). Have a read of this. It is highly likely that a herx  is what you are experiencing and, if so, that is good (and you need to understand why this is good). You may decide to ride this out for a week or so and see how you are managing by then. You may also want to put a call through to your doc to talk about about lowering your initial dose. You may be a sensitive responder and it may be worth talking to him/her about the possibility of starting on MWF or four days. This is not a one-size-fits all method of treatment and most people find they have to tweak it in one way or another so that they can continue to both function and derive benefit. Best to you. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘ Best starting dose of Mino’ is closed to new replies.