Home Forums General Discussion Bedding

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Carrie-RA
    Participant

Hi, I'm in the market for a new bed/mattress. I swear the one I currently have does nothing to provide pain relief. Has anyone tried tempurpedic? I didn't buy one before because of the offgassing issue, but now I wonder if I made a mistake (current bed is natural rubber…very hard).

Thoughts?

spacehoppa
    Participant

Personally I always buy an Ikea bed with a sprung bed base, a sprung mattress on top and then a thick mattress pad on top of that. It is the most comfortable (and supportive in a gentle way) thing I have ever laid on.

When my arthritis is bad, having a soft and supportive bed is just about the most important thing in life. Well, that's a bit melodramatic, but you know what I mean!

It's really worth checking them out.

tiffany
    Participant

I'm new to this Road Back Found. but saw your note about mattresses.  I have a sleep number mattress but it really doesn't matter the brand I learned on a website “whatsthebestmattress.com” that you may need to put three mattress pads on the bed for pain relief.  I use two mattress pads (the very best I could find with lots of padding) and sandwiched in between those pads is a memory foam mattress pad that Walmart sells (buy the best one they market……it gets the very best reviews).  Now I'm able to sleep on my sleep number bed w/o pain (the sleep nbr matt. has pillow top but of no help to me).  Until I found the above mentioned web site I never thought of multiple mattress pads. I have RA and experience loads of pain and thought it was the mattress but learned if you need 4 matt. pads, go for it.  I did find out that I needed a firmer mattress (number) so now I'm sleeping on a firm mattress with my three pads (The Princess and The Pea Bed is what I call it).  Do make sure one of the “pads” sandwiched between the normal mattress pad is a 2″ or even 3″ memory form pad (I got the 3″)  Hope this helps.

Eva Holloway
    Participant

Carrie-RA

I have a waterbed (25 years) and it has been the best matress I could ask for. First of all the warmth from the waterbed feels so good when I get to feeling bad or when I get cold. We have it fixed so the matress is not too soft or to much motion. So I can't really say much about other beds unless when we travel, some beds really bother me. Some beds are now so high I have to get in them by using a foot stool or even a chair. Last year we stayed at a place that had the memory foam and I rolled right into the middle of the bed and my hubby had to help me get out. When I was in Europe I liked the beds they have, something spacehoopa talked about. I never had a bad night the 14 days I stayed there.

Eva:D

Eva Holloway

linda
    Participant

I swear by my satin sheets, as many of you know. They making moving in bed much easier, which decreases the of number times one is awakened by the pain of moving. And it's sooo much easier to get out of bed in the morning. I got this tip from a physical therapist. They must be satin, not sateen. I get mine from JCPenney or Ross Dress for Less. They are a little more expensive but they are much more durable than cotton sheets and last longer. Oh yeah, you may not want to use the top sheet, for one thing, it's very difficult to keep it tucked in at the foot of the bed. But they don't breathe very well, so if you have night sweats you might want to use a cotton top sheet.

Donna RA
    Participant

Carrie,

I have a sleep number bed, which I love, however, there was a time it was also too painful to sleep on.  I too had placed a memory foam topper, which really helped.  I have a temperpedic in my spare room, and sleep on it from time to time.  I'm not certain about the off gassing of it, but do recall it's very strong odor when it was new, not a problem any longer, as it's been in my spare room for several years.  When the time comes to get a new mattress, I'll probably get a tempurpedic, leave it in a spare room until it no longer smelled bad.  What information about off gassing did you find?

Thanks, Donna RA and Lyme.

m.
    Participant

We have a natural latex mattress and we love it. Our only disagreement was how to layer it. We ended up with Firm-Medium-Medium. My husband thinks we would be happier with Firm-Medium-Soft.

They did give us the option to do a divided bed, where each side had a different set of layers.

We can always change it at a later date, too.

You might want to look into a natural latex topper, to save money, using the bed you already own.

Good luck

Carrie-RA
    Participant

Yes, I'll check out natural latex toppers for sure…that sounds about right.

Thanks so much,

C

kwhel
    Participant

I have slept on a tempurpedic at a sleep study center. 3 times. I did not like it at all. It was to hard for me. As for a really good mattress I haven't found one yet.

Kim
    Participant

I love my tempurpedic, but the initial outgassing can't be good for anyone. :sick:

kim

rebeccaavazian
    Participant

I have a tempurpedic too and i looooove it! My husband has a bad back so his side is firm and my side is medium firm, the soft was too soft i couldnt get out of bed.

I got the mattress before i started AP so i was seeing a different Rheumy than dr. f and he prescribed my mattress as medical equipment and all i had to pay was my portion of insurance 20%.

I actually went into a medical supply store to pick up a butt cushion to make it easier when i sat on the couch to get up because it was very difficult and the pain was horrible, so as i was waiting for the salesperson to ring me up, me and my husband layed on one of the tempurpedic beds they had and the salesman asked me if i had insurance and i said yes and the rest is history, i got a butt cushion and a new king tempurpedic bed! of course my doctor had to sign off on the paperwork and the medical supply store submitted it to insurance and within a week i had my bed and my butt cushion. :roll-laugh:

glynn102
    Participant

I have the Costco $600 version of the tempurpedic. A good friend has the real one and neither of us can tell the difference.

I look forward to each and every moment I am in it 🙂

It comes in a suitcase and 24 hours later it is ready. I just opened it on the porch and let it air out.

I have an hour till bed time and I am getting excited.

Best of luck.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘ Bedding’ is closed to new replies.