Home Forums General Discussion Bacteria's Iron-Absorbing Mechanisms May Open Gates For New Types Of Antibiotics

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Pip
    Participant

Bacteria's Iron-Absorbing Mechanisms May Open Gates For New Types Of Antibiotics

ScienceDaily (Mar. 7, 2002) ? Researchers at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas have brought to light new information about how bacteria capture iron from the human body, and the work has implications for the design of novel antibiotics.

Dr. Andrew Ferguson, a postdoctoral researcher in the laboratory of Dr. Johann Deisenhofer, professor of biochemistry and investigator in the Howard Hughes Medical Institute at UT Southwestern, led the study published in Science.

Bacterial cells use a series of transporters to actively pump iron through their outer membranes and into the cells. These iron-acquisition mechanisms are vital for bacterial pathogens to establish and maintain bacterial infections. Ferguson and his colleagues deciphered the three-dimensional structure of the iron transporter FecA and showed that this receptor undergoes dramatic changes before transporting iron through the outer membrane.

?We have shown that the receptor changes its conformation,? Ferguson said.

Bacteria lent themselves well to the study because the protein-based process that gets nutrients and other necessary elements across bacterial cells? protective outer membranes has been widely studied. The extensive base of existing research allowed the team to focus on the iron-absorption mechanism.

The three-dimensional structure of FecA includes a barrel that is open on both ends. A plug inside the barrel fills its middle, leaving open pockets at the barrel's top and bottom. When iron is added, the top pocket closes, triggering absorption of the iron.

Ferguson said bacteria?s high-affinity iron uptake systems could have clinical applications. With an alarming rise in the reported number of harmful, drug-resistant bacteria, scientists may be able to design new antibiotics that physically resemble the natural iron carriers that the transporters recognize. Because these ?Trojan Horse? antibiotics would be specifically recognized and actively pumped into the cell, they may eventually provide an alternative weapon to treat systemic bacterial infections.

?Understanding the mechanism of iron transport is an important first step toward this goal,? said Deisenhofer, winner of the 1988 Nobel Prize in chemistry.

Other authors on the March 1 study in Science included Barbara S. Smith of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute at UT Southwestern, and researchers from East Tennessee State University and the University of Victoria in British Columbia.

The work was funded by grants from the Welch Foundation and the National Institutes of Health.

Adapted from materials provided by University Of Texas Southwestern Medical Center At Dallas.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Sounds like this could also be an answer as to why so many people who have one of this family of diseases are anaemic – the pathogens are using up all the iron. That is of course if you believe that infection is the foundation. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Maz
    Keymaster

Yes, and also that minocycline may somehow interrupt iron absorption, hence why some get the blue/grey hyperpigmentation. Biopsies of these patches showed iron deposits, but that Vit C (an iron metabolizer) can help prevent this. 

Very interesting and thanks for sharing this, Pip. Are you able to add the actual link for this article? Thanks. 🙂

Peace, Maz

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Thanks Maz. Sounds like a two-sided thing and very interesting. I wonder if that is also part of mino's efficacy? wish I was more of a scientist! 😕 Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=30]lynnie_sydney[/user] wrote:

I wonder if that is also part of mino's efficacy? wish I was more of a scientist! 😕 Lynnie 

Me, too, Lynnie! 😕 All these amazingly synchronous links seem to come together, but then I come to a full stop not knowing how to take it further. Seems one needs degrees in bio-chemistry and microbiology, amongst many others. Maybe this is why it also seems like the dog's tail doesn't speak to the head in science much of the time. One field discovers something, but it takes a whole other area of science to pick it up and take it from there. Maybe science needs a good injection of neuro-linguisitic programming?!

Peace, Maz  

Pip
    Participant

The article was from Science Daily.  I never had a chance to go to PubMed and get the entire (real) thing.  To me, the most interesting part of this is thes myco's, or other microbes, have an affinity for certain chemicals in the body and that may be what influences which 'flavor' we get of these diseases.  IE scleroderma or RA or Lupus.  Another interesting thing is they LOVE hormones.  Tons of research on them 'cell-jacking' for insulin, estrogen or adrenals.  The B's and their uptake are stomach/digestion hormones.  Absolutely fascinating and if I had more time I'd go back to school and follow this info.  LOL

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/03/020307073603.htm

Hugs,

Pip

P.S.  My question is this – if the microbes are blocking uptake of iron &/or hijacking it – then wouldn't eventually this 'go away' as the microbial load lessens?  I'm guessing it's a 'herx' – but we don't know anybody who's gotten the severe hyperpigmentation who's continued on AP.  I only found one story of a OA person who they treated the hyperpigmentation with a different antibiotic, it didn't go away in 2 months, and she requested being placed back on Mino for her OA.  Hmmm.  Seems she didn't care so much as it was helping her in other ways.

martysfolks
    Participant

Hi, This is Dolores,  I loved reading the article and better still seeing photos of the ladies who post all the time.  You are all so beautiful.  Mag and Lynnie, pleased to meet you.  I will have to put my mug up on the screen also.  That article was amazing.  I think Lynne G. sent it to me.  Have not posted or visited the Roadback in quite a while.  I used to read thru when I had more time, but am swamped now that I live in Texas and work full time.  Well, the reason why I am writing is because I am one of the people who turned a sort of eggplant color when I visited Puerto Rico not this past winter, but the winter before.  I remained on Minocin as it is what put me into remission.  I lived with the color for a long time.  Then I started on MP in October of '07 and because I quit going out in the sun, got my Vit d 25 down to less than 4, my skin color started returning.  I don't think I am quite as light as I originally was, but definitely do not have that weird color anymore.  I am of spanish, Italian, and French decent, so I was never a blue eyed blonde.  I look at photos of myself before Minocin, during the hyperpigmentation stage and now during the second phase (8 months worth) of MP and I can  tell the difference.  I think I will get even lighter with time.  I work till 5:30p indoor and get out about 7 to shop and eat.  Since I work at home,  my commute is a flight of steps inside, my sun exposure is minimal.  One of these days I 'll learn how to post my photos and get three small photos of before, during and after.  It may help others to avoid getting that bluish grey color. and stay  out of the sun.  Have a great Father's Day.  Tomorrow, we celebrate Father's day in the USA. If you don't live here, have a great weekend anyway. Love to all you guys who work so hard to spread the word about A/P and kudos to you all for being so helpful to all.  I got here because of one of your angels.  And I'm loving my renewed energy, symptom free life because of A/P.  Dolores & Mike

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Maz – I know what you mean. However, we need to remember that great moves forward usually came – and still come – after countless fruitless expeditions and not understanding and dead ends. We forget that when we only ever see the results of a discovery of note. And my understanding is that the greatest discoveries in history were from the mavericks who either didnt know what the box was or refused to start from inside it. (And that description could also be applied to us lot! :D)

Dolores – nice to see you back on this Board. It does feel more as if you've met someone once you've seen a pic, doesnt it? So glad to hear you are still doing well. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

martysfolks
    Participant

Thank you, Lynnie!  You have a great smile.  Show me how to get a photo of myself up there too.  Maybe, I won't feel so estranged if I could see me corresponding with other faces too.  I'm a little stunted when it comes to using computers. I am of the older set and grew up with radio.  TV came in later on in my life, so you know how I feel with a computer.  It makes me feel like a complete idiot.  I see kids 3 yrs. old hitting the keys like they know what they are doing.  They double click and it took me months to do it right.  So, simple instruction works better with me.  I have no idea what U2 or myspace or skype is or how it works.  The kids know all about it.  So, I would appreciate all the help I can get.  Thanks Dolores

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Dolores – uploading a photo. Click on My Account button above right. Then click on Edit Profile on the tabs that come up. You will then see your profile and a series of buttons at the top. Click the one marked 'Avator' and you will be taken to a page that shows you options of uploading an avator (an image but not of you) or a photo of yourself. You will have to have a digital photo stored on your computer to upload one. Click the 'browse' button and it will take you to your files in your  computer – you will probably have any digital photos stored under My Pictures. Just double click on the one you want to upload to the site. If it's too big, it will be resized automatically. (or you can resize yourself prior to uploading from your own program). All your posts from that moment will carry your pic. You can also change it at any time by going through the same steps as outlined above.

Skype BTW uses the internet for calls – which are FREE!!!!! All you do is search for skype on the internet and download the program to your PC. It will then give you instructions. To use it effectively, either buy some skype headphones or a skype telephone – normally available from computer outlets or you can order online – both of which plug into one of the USB ports on your hard drive tower or laptop. You can then skype call and speak to people who also have skype anywhere in the world at no cost. I've had a few wonderful conversations with RB friends.  Good luck! Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

Am I right in understanding this research to relate to bacteria with cell walls?  What about cell wall deficient (CWD) bacteria such as mycoplasmas?

martysfolks
    Participant

Hi Lynnie, Thanks for all that great info.  I will show this to Mike…. We've got tons of photos.  The hard part will be to choose the best one.  Mike loves taking pictures.  I'll show me almost black from the sun in PR.  White like I was at the beginning of S/D and  now that I am sort of in between.  I don't have a land line.  I thought you needed a land line to use skype to talk to someone.  Is that true?  We moved here with only our cells and decided not to order a land line.  Take care~~~The best to all of you.  ~~~Dolores & Mike

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

No Dolores – you absolutely DONT need a landline – simply broadband on your computer and skype head-set or skype USB plug-in 'phone'. ……and friends who also have skype. You can call to a non-skype phone but dont worry about that for now. I'd go for it! Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

martysfolks
    Participant

Hi Lynnie,  thanks for all the advice.  I guess I will be forced to creep out of the stone age at last.  I will get Mike to work on that over the weekend.  We are going to a concert tomorrow night.  Went to the doc's yesterday.  A bit disappointed, but will expand on that later.  Got my prescriptions which I need to mail out before the mailman comes.  So, talk to you later, Bye for now.  Best to you, Dolores

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘ Bacteria's Iron-Absorbing Mechanisms May Open Gates For New Types Of Antibiotics’ is closed to new replies.