Home Forums General Discussion Bacteria, Heart Disease and Red Meat

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Maz
    Keymaster

New Link Between Heart Disease and Red Meat: New Understanding of Cardiovascular Health Benefits of Vegan, Vegetarian Diets

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/04/130407133320.htm

“Apr. 7, 2013

cavalier
    Participant

So … does this mean that we should rethink of supplementing with Carnitine as well?

It would make sense that we could be adding fuel to the fire even without eating red meat.
    Thanks for this –
    Jill SD Lyme CPn. Candida is on the wane

Maz
    Keymaster

@cavalier wrote:

So … does this mean that we should rethink of supplementing with Carnitine as well?

It would make sense that we could be adding fuel to the fire even without eating red meat.

Jill, so glad to hear your candida issue is on the wane! ๐Ÿ™‚

You raise a good question and it’s one that seems to have conflicting research surrounding it. If you check out this wiki link, while carnitine seems to be related to artherosclerosis, it’s also being used to prevent and help ameliorate certain heart conditions! Go figure, eh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnitine#Atherosclerosis

cavalier
    Participant

Yep that was the reason i was taking L Carnitine as the heart is supposed to have a need for it & I try to limit the amt of red meat to only once a week if that often – but now I am torn.
    I do have some arteriosclerosis & I would hate to think i am causing more harm than good. Sometimes the more we think we are doing good we maybe best to not supplement in some products. It’s hard for me to know if my arteriosclerosis is caused by lyme or the SD or in part the L Carnitine, or age or a combo of all? ๐Ÿ˜‰ As of a few yr’s back I had none – which is hard for me to now know i have this.
    The more we know we realize we still dont have all of the answers. ๐Ÿ™„
    Jill SD, Lyme Cpn. Canidida is on the wane.

Valsmum
    Participant

This reminds me of the documentary called “The China Study” and also “The Gerson Miracle” and how certain foods should be limited and eaten in small quantities for optimum health.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant
    Suzanne
    Participant

Dr. Mirkin also posted about this:
    http://www.drmirkin.com/public/ezine041413.htm

“The Evidence Showing How Red Meat Forms Plaques in Arteries

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

A Friend
    Participant

@Maz wrote:

New Link Between Heart Disease and Red Meat: New Understanding of Cardiovascular Health Benefits of Vegan, Vegetarian Diets

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/04/130407133320.htm

“Apr. 7, 2013

cavalier
    Participant

The more i think on this study the more I feel whether it is meat or L Carnitine by itself that moderation & not overdoing either is probably a good thing.

Jill SD, Lyme CPn & Candida on the wane

A Friend
    Participant

@Maz wrote:

@cavalier wrote:

Jill, so glad to hear your candida issue is on the wane! ๐Ÿ™‚

You raise a good question and it’s one that seems to have conflicting research surrounding it. If you check out this wiki link, while carnitine seems to be related to artherosclerosis, it’s also being used to prevent and help ameliorate certain heart conditions! Go figure, eh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnitine#Atherosclerosis

Maz, All,

I believe I shared previously in a post about the big rise in my good cholesterol (HDL: 146] on labs from my fairly recent annual checkup. I was just reading a very interesting abstract and saw a finding on Vitamin C and carnitine synthesis in it, and am sharing it below; and am thinking that not only did my high dose Vitamin C over a period of time come into play, but also the ImmunoPro (whey protein full of amino acids needed for metabolic functioning — and the abstract mentions several amino acids involved in carnitine synthesis), and also the flaxseed oil (serving as essential fatty acids — also mentioned in the abstract) eaten daily with yogurt/cottage cheese (forming the Budwig protocol for helping cells detox, which a number of years ago turned around a wasting syndrome):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2682928/

[excerpt below was copied/pasted here from above abstract:]
    Vitamin C’s effectiveness in reducing triglyceride concentrations was first documented in guinea pig models where a chronic borderline vitamin C deficiency led to hypertriglyceridemia.60 It was later stated that the hypertriglyceridemia was caused by a slow uptake and removal of very low-density lipoprotein triglycerides from the plasma.61 Vitamin C’s antioxidant protection of very low-density lipoprotein may therefore facilitate its uptake by the liver and hence promote its removal from the plasma.62,63 It has also been shown that vitamin C stimulates fatty acid utilization in hepatocytes by enhancing carnitine synthesis.64 Carnitine is synthesized from the amino acids lysine and methionine, and vitamin C is required as a cofactor in 2 hydroxylation reactions in the pathway of carnitine biosynthesis. If increased hepatic carnitine concentration results in further hepatic fatty acid ?-oxidation, then as a result, there will be a reduction in the plasma triglyceride concentration.65,66

[Note: To find this excerpt and read more in the lengthy abstract, looking for the reference numbers at end of sentences can be easier than searching for the words.]

PS Am thinking I need to post a separate topic about Dr. Budwig’s protocols… which I believe literally saved my life without my knowing I was even doing the protocols at the time. This information can be very helpful for all diagnoses. Recommend you do a “Yahoo Search” using the words: budwig protocol detoxing cells. I just did this, and many great-looking ones showed up. One mentioned it can even positively affect our DNA.

AF

jims
    Participant

Hello all. After looking at these I sent the question over to my doctor. He e mailed back an article by Chris master john on Weston price website examining tmao. I read that down to the last comment includes graphs with different foods. According to this author there isn’t t much difference in foods tmao production in the body. Some of this is over my head as evidenced in the comments. My take away is that it is very important to maintain our gut with pre and probiotic foods, and with plenty of greens with every meal. And as much variety as possible. Sorry I can t provide the link as I am no good at that,it never seems to work when I try. If you go to the Weston price website you should see the link to red meat tmao on the home page. Jim’s

Trudi
    Participant

@jims wrote:

Sorry I can t provide the link as I am no good at that,it never seems to work when I try.

I think this is the site you are talking about–

http://www.westonaprice.org/blogs/cmasterjohn/2013/04/10/does-carnitine-from-red-meat-contribute-to-heart-disease-through-intestinal-bacterial-metabolism-to-tmao/

Good article and comments.

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

jims
    Participant

Yes Trudi thats the one, thank you.jims

GoinCrazy
    Participant

I’m highly suspicious of any study saying we should not eat what our species evolved to eat.

A Friend
    Participant

@GoinCrazy wrote:

I’m highly suspicious of any study saying we should not eat what our species evolved to eat.

GoinC,
    There do seem to be a lot of “do’s and don’ts” we can read about. I, too, have read a paper recently about hazards of some red meat. Then, what I thought was a better article went on to explain that if we eat red meat, it should not be from those cattle raised in crowded pens, and filled full of antibiotics which causes them to put on lots of pounds to bring more money — but are unhealthy. There are more and more meat markets opening up that sell free range beef and other meat that I believe would be a much better choice, as far as food and health value goes. Some people with Blood Type A lack enough hydrochloric acid to digest meat the way that Blood Type O people can. Without proper digestion of red meat, along with the other things, it can cause problems for many.
    AF

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.