Home Forums General Discussion Back after 2 yrs.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    JenTX
    Participant

Hi all,

My RA went into remission 2 yrs. ago while on Minocin. Thank god I found this board!!!:D I have been symptom free this entire time, and have been off the Minocin for 18 mos.

I recently decided to go back to school and get my nursing degree, and proof of vaccinations is required. Well, I jumped right in and got the first Hep. B shot. Not long after, I started having very infrequent pain/inflammation in my hands and wrists. “Uh-oh, it's coming back” I thought. Didn't even give the shot a 2nd thought. Went back for the 2nd shot yesterday, and just a few hours later I was scared to death. It is getting worse. So today I did some research, and found info. on Hep. B vaccines triggering RA, among other things. Has anyone else had this experience? Was it just a little bump in the road to recovery? I now have to decide if I will get the 3rd shot in 6 mos. to finish the series, in order to become an RN. A lot to think about, so I'd love to hear from anyone who knows anything about this. Thanks so much! 🙂

Lyn_x
    Participant

A recent thread here on the board:

http://rbfbb.org/view_topic.php?id=3405&forum_id=1

and NYT article…although the topic is on Chronic Fatigue, the immunologist mentions autoimmune, hep B etc. under the question

Can Vaccines Set Off Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

http://consults.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/24/expert-answers-on-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/?hpw

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

JenTX,  I have no science at hand to back me up but my opinion about your 3rd shot is NO WAY HOSEA!

What good is your nursing degree if you are disabled with crippling pain?  Check and see if you can be exempt from this vaccine because of your RA history and the link between the two.

Holy cow.  I sure hope you haven't re-activated this disease.  If I were you, I would jump into some serious detox to see if you can clear the toxic side effects of the vaccine.  However, I seriously suggest you find an integrative medical doctor trained in detox rather than striking out on your own.

BTW, if the Hep B vaccine can trigger RA, why?  Surely it doesn't give you Mycoplasma infection.  What is in it that is driving your immune system to respond?

sierrra
    Participant

If you report the reaction to your doctor–best to go in to discuss it–it will be documented and you should have no problem with being exempted from the final shot. The key word is “reaction.” I wouldn't mention the RA. Just say, “Both times, after having this shot, I had X happen and I don't want to have another reaction from a third shot.”

JenTX
    Participant

Susan,

I agree. I wouldn't feel very capable as an RN with deformed, unusable hands. I can check to see if I have the antibody before the next shot, and if I do, the final shot would be unnecessary and I could carry on as I am now. I could just waive the vaccination, but then I might expose myself to hep. B unprotected, which is also a risk I don't want to take. I understand my employer would most likely waive any responsibility if I am not vaccinated, as well.

As far as a cause, I have read it is related to cytokines, (TNF, for example). I'm still looking into this aspect. I did also read, “hepatitis B vaccine contains yeast, aluminium, thimerosal and hepatitis B surface antigen epitopes, which may result in hepatitis B vaccine being associated with autoimmune diseases among susceptible adult vaccine recipients.” It is hard to wade through the medical jargon. I would assume a simple answer is that, vaccines get your immune system going, and maybe “something special” in the hep. B vaccine triggered my RA.

Jennifer
    Jennifer

Eva Holloway
    Participant

Jennifer,

Is the Hep B shot a live virus?

Eva:?

Eva Holloway

JenTX
    Participant

No, it is not a live virus.

Eva Holloway
    Participant

okay, I was worried you got this Hep B vaccine and it may triggered your RA or even making you sick from this shot.

Eva:D

Eva Holloway

carries
    Participant

Hi JenTX! I had the same experience from the hep shot. Right after the 3 shots it triggered the RA. I had no symptoms prior and right after BAM……joint pain all over. It did eventually go into remission….but I am in a flare up again (lyme??? stress??) not sure why….but I dont think I would get the vaccine. I have a cousin whom also was….was……in the nursing program…no longer is due to her experience with the vaccine….anyways…after she received a vaccine she lost all muscle function. She couldnt walk, shower, go to the bathroom on her own. She had to leave school. It was all due to this stupid vaccine. Now after 2yrs of steroids, cellcept, and IVIG therapy she is back in the gym and going to school again…not nursing though…health administration.  Not saying to change your field just suggesting gettting that dr to relieve you from havng to get anymore vaccines. especially with your medical history. Those vaccines are nasty…..neither her or I will even do the flu vaccine.

Lyn_x
    Participant

Ran across this while looking up something else:

“There is no doubt that the new recombinant hepatitis B virus vaccine is different from mumps, measles and rubella vaccines in its ability to trigger autoimmunity…”

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9115571

JenTX
    Participant

Thanks, Lyn_x. Did you see this part?

“Since vaccines are an important prophylactic intervention, the risk-benefit ratio clearly leans towards the advantages of infectious disease prevention. Vaccination routines should not be changed in the healthy population or for patients with known autoimmune disorders.” GRRR!!!

Lyn_x
    Participant

Reply to JenTX.

Yeah, I did :(…change will be slow, very slow, snails pace slow. But at least some are moving in the right direction…In defense (I always seem to see both sides, even if I don't want to), vaccines have saved millions of lives–we might be the collateral damage–alive, but struggling (with the full awareness that there are many who are definitely not alive).

Whether it was a mycoplasma Trojan horse, overwhelming of the immune system, or some other bugaboo, someday researchers will narrow it down and make vaccines safer.  Or better yet, better ways of interfering with the life cycle of our unwanted house guests.  I'd bet on Dr. Bassler:
    http://www.ted.com/talks/bonnie_bassler_on_how_bacteria_communicate.html

That being said, I've turned down all vaccinations for the last ten years–which was well before any 'serious' diagnosis.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘ Back after 2 yrs.’ is closed to new replies.