Home Forums General Discussion awakening the beast…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    linda
    Participant

I developed a sinus infection last week, and being on a biologic I wanted to nip it in the bud right away, so I did some research on which abx are used for these infections, and zithromax is one. Since I have a bottle here already, I decided to take it for 6 days, like a real rx dose pack. Holy wow, by day 4 I was in a world of hurt. I finished the dose pack 3 days ago, and today I'm finally feeling human. I was starting to get a little hope that maybe my stomach had healed enough to go back on abx 2-3 times a week, but not a chance. Both my stomach and my uninvited microbial guests made it very clear that I was not being a good 'host'. cheeky buggers.:sick:

oh yeah, the sinus infection is gone.

superperroRA
    Participant

It's a good sign that azithromycin has a nice kick for you. Me too. I think the combination of minocin and azithromycin is one of those combinations made in heaven, a perfect marriage, like rice and beans, or spinach with cheese.

Parisa
    Participant

Linda,

I'm glad you were able to finish the course of Zith.   It is one of the harder antibiotics on the stomach.  If you could get your antibiotics intravenously thereby bypassing the gut you might make some great recovery.

Kim
    Participant

Linda,

This must be so frustrating for you.  You know you respond to abx, but your gut won't cooperate. :headbang:  At least your sinus infection has cleared. 😕

I agree, the Mino/Zith combo was a match made in heaven for me too.

Take care……kim

linda
    Participant

I'd love to do IV's, but can't find a doctor who will do it and fight for me with the insurance company. Without insurance I can't afford it, esp since the closest one is over 5 hrs away and I would also have food, gas and lodgings.

Tiff
    Participant

Linda have you approached your rheumy with the idea of IV ABX?  If they are out of options for you, perhaps they might be willing to go there, and since they do take your insurance maybe it will pay.  I have thought about asking mine if all his plans for me fail.  I am being very compliant, but if this does not work, then I plan to ask for that last line of defense.  Well, maybe a stem cell transplant after that.  Am I planning too far ahead ya think?  😛

I hope you get to feeling better really soon!

linda
    Participant

Hi Tiff,

I have actually thought about it, but I don't think at this time they'll go for it b/c I'm still decreasing the pred and that has to be the priority. Not a good time for a herx at all. But they seem open to new ideas and Dr. Wonderful 😉 was very interested in my history with abx. As you know, they are set up with IV's for their patients on IV biologics. Other than my feet, my pain and inflammation have not worsened, which is a first for me at this dosage of pred. My feet are really doing something wonky; the bones on the top of my feet hurt, and the tendons on the top of the feet are stiff. This is a brand spanking new area of inflammation for me, I have had problems in the past with my achilles tendons and also with toe joints and the joints on the ball of my feet, tho.

We really should try to schedule an appt on the same day and have lunch.

linda

Tiff
    Participant

Linda,

Timing might be everything when it comes to asking the doctor about going in that direction.  Sounds like you have a good plan.  I have had so little obvious Herxing from ABX that I forget how careful others have to be about it. 

I'll PM you some info about my appt times when I get them firmed up.  We are highly considering moving up there very soon as my hubby is getting close to finishing his job here in the sticks.  🙂  It would be very nice to live in civilization again.  Don't get me wrong, there have been some really nice things about small town life, and I enjoyed raising my kids here.  But we are looking forward to a change.  Hoping for a lot of change, really!  😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ awakening the beast…’ is closed to new replies.