Home Forums General Discussion Article: How Inflammatory Disease Causes Fatigue

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Lyn_x
    Participant

“ScienceDaily (Feb. 28, 2009) ? New animal research in the February 18 issue of The Journal of Neuroscience may indicate how certain diseases make people feel so tired and listless. Although the brain is usually isolated from the immune system, the study suggests that certain behavioral changes suffered by those with chronic inflammatory diseases are caused by the infiltration of immune cells into the brain. The findings suggest possible new treatment avenues to improve patients' quality of life.”

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/02/090217173034.htm

linda
    Participant

Great article, it would also go a long way to explain the fogginess and inability to concentrate (or type!):shock: Thanks!

Maz
    Keymaster

Lyn, thanks for sharing this very interesting article! 😀

I was fascinated with this:

“Swain and his colleagues found that liver inflammation triggered brain cells called microglia to produce CCL2, a chemical that attracts monocytes. When the researchers blocked CCL2 signaling, monocytes did not enter the brain despite ongoing inflammation in the liver.

Liver inflammation also stimulated cells in the blood to make an immune chemical (TNF?). When the researchers blocked the signaling of this immune chemical, microglia produced less CCL2, and monocytes stayed out of the brain.”

Kind of makes you wonder why the human brain would evolve in this way, producing a chemcial to attract monocytes. Could it be that there is some protective benefit to the brain when systemic inflammation is occuring? It's nasty feeling foggy-brained with crashing fatigue, but I kind of wonder what evolutionary benefit it might provide. Might shutting off this chemical have some deleterious effects on brain function? I guess we'll find out if they do further studies before trying it out on we human guinea pigs! 😉

Peace, Maz

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘ Article: How Inflammatory Disease Causes Fatigue’ is closed to new replies.