Home Forums General Discussion AP for my dog's arthritis – Mikey

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Cubby
    Participant

Don't laugh, please.   About 8 months ago, my 18 year old dog (was 17 then) had to be put  on clindamycin for his teeth.   They were so dirty they got infected due to the fact that he was so old they could no longer put him “under” to clean the teeth.

(He has had bad arthritis for the past few years and has been on Glucosamine.   He got to the point where he would not take the Glucosamine in his food so he refused to eat and would actually spit it out if he found it.   I tried everything!)  

Meanwhile, he was taking the clindamycin, 25 mg 2 x per day, for 10 days.  Then he was off for 10 days.  I noticed that when he was on it, he seemed to be more active and was suddenly jumping on furniture again.   But, the 10 days he was off, he was back to being very inactive.  Of course, I continued thru all of this, trying to force the glucosamine into him.

I got the bright idea of giving him the clindamycin 1 a day, instead of 2 and never having a period of time when he was not on it.   The vet cautioned me, that it could eventually have possible side effects, but I said “THE DOG IS 17!” and she laughed and said I had a good point.

I finally gave up on the Glucosamine and Mikey has been taking 1 clindamycin every day for the past 3 months.   He now continues to jump up on furniture, runs around, plays with other dogs and shows no signs of arthritis, even tho I realize he still has it.  I recently put him and my other dog, Benson (2 years old) in a Kennel and they were shocked to hear his age.

I am not saying that everyone should go to their vet and ask for this.  What I am saying, tho, is that it worked for Mikey.  If he had not been so old, and so inactive, I don't know if I would have tried this but I am so glad I did.

By the way, Cubby, was his 15 year old brother, who passed away last summer.   We got Benson after we lost Cubby.

I hope you don't mind me telling this story, but our dogs are our lives.  Without Cubby and Mikey and now, Benson, I don't know how I would have survived!

suera
    Participant

That's great news!!! I love dogs and am so glad you are able to keep him happy.  Hope we humans have this good of results with ap!

Sue

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

What a wonderful story! I'm assuming it was osteo-arthritis also, which makes it a pretty amazing one. Will certainly keep this up my sleeve for my beloved one. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

superperroRA
    Participant

I thought oral clindamycin gives the colic. Wouldn't doxy be better? I'm considering asking the vet if I can put my dog on doxy for his arthritis. I believe Cheryl Ferguson too mentioned having put her dog on antibiotics for arthritis, with good results. Hurray!

DragonSlayer
    Participant

Hey, Cubby!

Some dogs get arf-ritis.

Actually, some do get AS and when they are switched to 100% meat instead of the Purina and grain-based products these symptoms are greatly reduced.

The thing about most dogs is that the doctors do not usually claim 'placebo effect,' but whenever they do, I just have my friend's dog write them a letter–because he has been AS-free for almost 5 years on a 'natural meats' diet.

In an aging hound, as mentioned already, it could be osteoarthritis, but whatever name we put on it, if the abx works that is what really counts.

Keep on giving,
    John

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

John – you are right. Commercial dog foods (whatever price point ) usually have grain as their number one ingredient. Holistic vets widely report that taking the dog off these commercial foods and putting them onto a primarily meat-based diet (with a little crushed raw veg mix added) will often see the dogs' arthritis resolve. Grain is not the natural food of canines. It is simply expediency and cost. I had a Golden Retriever who became a celiac at the age of 8. From then on, he was on a fresh diet. At the age of 11 (quite ancient for a GR) people were still stopping me in the street and asking me how old my puppy was! Lynnie PS If you give your dog a raw bone daily or a few times a week, you wont have to get their teeth cleaned. 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

linda
    Participant

So happy for Cubby, I think those of us with pets will agree with you on the important role they play in our lives, esp those of us with chronic illness. He is a cutey, for sure! I have a chihuahua, Cisco, my own living heating pad for my back when it hurts. I also have a calico cat, Kiara. Chi's are prone to arthritis, too, so I'll definitely store this information about the abx. Thanks for posting,

linda

Srsly John, Arf-ritis!!!?!;)

Goodwife
    Participant

cubby,

yes, our cat was on clindy also about the time my hubby was starting his IVs. and coincidentally, my daughter had an ear infection, was also on abx, the running joke was that our whole family was on AP! 

I love your pic of cubby – he was a cute dog.  Good luck with your others!

A Friend
    Participant

Cubby,

There have been stories about vets treating dogs with AP for quite a few years, and its being very effective.  Have even, in the past, found this written about on the internet. 

So glad this has helped your 17-year-old dog.  We had a 17-year-old cat (member of our family) who did not die a natural death, but was injured by free-roaming hunting dogs. 

Have heard repeatedly over the past 12 years that many dogs whose owners have mycoplasma infections also have them and have forms of arthritis. 

AF

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘ AP for my dog's arthritis – Mikey’ is closed to new replies.