Home Forums General Discussion Anyone experienced dark spots in the skin using doxycycline?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Hoping
    Participant

I used minocycline for 3 weeks and herxed and had hyperpigmentation. Then I switched to doxycycline, and I got some additional dark spots in my skin. They are a little lighter in color but they are there. I thought it only happened to people taking mino, not doxy. Am I wrong?

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Hoping,

One can get hyperpigmentation from all the tetracyclines, including doxy. I get brownish patches on my forearms, but it's a direct result of sun exposure. We're supposed to limit our sun exposure while on AP to avoid hyperpigmentation, but I'm naughty and love the sun! It always fades in winter…along with my tan. 🙁

Peace, Maz

Hoping
    Participant

But the strange thing is, the spots are all in areas not exposed to sunlight. I use my hat/cap/umbrella and sunblock to shield myself well since I have Lupus. I guess maybe I should ingest a lot of vitamin C. Those spots are harmless, right?

Jennhere
    Participant

My cheeks are covered in them.  I thought it would bother me, but I'm so happy to be pain free that I couldn't care less.  🙂

JoanneM
    Participant

I got small black spots on my face from mino. At first I thought they were blackheads, but they were not. They have faded greatly since I stopped taking mino a few years ago.

JBJBJB
    Participant

unfortunately I also had two areas getting darker, very ugly. Plus I have a lot of  small black spots. Even though I tried very hard to stay away from the sun…. I have stopped taking mino now…. until I find if I have lyme disease.

JoanneM
    Participant

Just an “aside,” I seem to remember I was not sun sensitive when I took mino. I will soon be back home in Florida and will test that, going gradually of course. I am not sure all people are sun sensitive when on the tetra/mino cyclines.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘ Anyone experienced dark spots in the skin using doxycycline?’ is closed to new replies.