Home Forums General Discussion Any bad reaction stopping AP?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    stile RA
    Participant

Hi. 

I have to stop AP for a bit to get labs for new AP dr.  Has anyone had any bad reactions as a result of stopping AP?

Thanks

Velouria138
    Participant
    mschmidt
    Participant

I had to stop my lyme and SD abx for 7 days, while on penicillin for a different infection.  By day 5 I had a flare in all my symptoms.  What tests are you having done?  I was on AP (Minocin) for 4 months before I went to see my AP doctor, who recommended being off AP for mycoplasma testing.  When I spoke with his staff, they said I didn't have to go off the meds because the benefits of being on it were too good to go off of it, and possibly flare my disease.  My tests came back positive for what they were looking for, despite being on AP.  I would definitely check why they want you to be off meds, especially if you've been on them, and they're helping you.  How long have you been on AP, and what are you on?

Maria

stile RA
    Participant

I am going to see an AP dr in Ca and he wants me off Minocin for 3 weeks prior to having the labs done in 3 wks, then I see him 3 wks after that.  So I will be off for at least 6 weeks.  I am definitely concerned about getting worse.

I have been on AP for 9 months now and have seen no improvements which is why I am going to see an experienced AP dr.  My symptoms definitely took a turn for the worse about 3 weeks after beginning the AP, so I assumed the ap was beginning to work.  I will admit I am questioning why so long and no improvement.

Cindy

mschmidt
    Participant

I see Dr. F in Riverside, CA.  On his website, it's suggested that you get off antibiotics for your first visit, at least 6 weeks prior for accurate blood tests.  If this is who you're seeing, I would at the very least have a conversation with his nurse or PA about your concern.  (as I did, and they told me it wasn't a big deal to stay on the Minocin, which I started in Dec. 08, and saw him in March 09)  You haven't had ANY improvement at all on the Minocin?  It sounds like you experienced a herx when you started the Minocin…what is the dosage you are on? 

Maria

maz.aust
    Participant

Last year I had a major op & had to come off my AP as well .. I was off from early Apr 'til late Jun & had no problems —

I wouldn't worry too much ,,, it doesn't take long to get back on track again, remember it's not like starting at the beginning!  😉

Dec07: Diagnosed PRA, (CTD; Fibromyalgia; suspected Lyme):
    Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

Jan 2018: ABX Mon/Wed/Fri (started AP 2008)
    1/2 x 150mg Roxithromycin(Biasig), 1/2 x 150mg Clarithromycin (Klacid),
    1/2 x Fungillin, 1 x 250mg Cephalexin (Keflex)

All off days Probiotics

stile RA
    Participant

Dr. F in Riverside CA is who I will be seeing.  I am currently taking 100 mg Minocin MWF.

nspiker
    Participant

I agree with Maria,

I also see Dr. F., and was told that I had to be off all antibiotics for a month prior to testing.  This actually delayed my first appointment, because I didn't want to lose ground going off antibiotics.  As it turned out, spoke with his nurse who said to stay on abx.  My test results were positive for mycoplasma with abx.

nancy

JustPeachy
    Participant

Howdy,

I stopped all Doxy/Naproxen last week for 3 days. I woke up on day #4 Sunday morning with lots-o-pain. Nothing like a little dose of RA reality. I hope it works out for you!

🙂

stile RA
    Participant

Thank you for all the information.  I have stopped AP for 7 days now.  I expected to have a bad relapse, but, curiously, I feel better.  The malaise has let up a bit and my joints are not as painful.  To me it seems like the AP has been working, since I feel better having stopped it, right?  Kind of how I felt prior to starting AP.  Has anyone stopped AP for 3 weeks or longer?  Had any adverse effects because of being off of it for an extended period?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘ Any bad reaction stopping AP?’ is closed to new replies.