Home Forums General Discussion Another reason for fish oil

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Lyn_x
    Participant

I am a long time proponent of fish oil and as such, I am always on the look out for research concerning its use.  I have been concerned that its anti-inflammatory properties might interfere with immune function–a feature which might be 'good' if you believe the 'autoimmune' theory and 'bad' if you believe the mycoplasma/CWD bacteria/Lyme.  This might be similar to the way aspirin reduces the fever that the body is using to kill invaders–a literal and figurative self defeating action.

“Unlike other anti-inflammatory drugs, this chemical does not seem to suppress the immune system.”

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/10/091028142227.htm

Hopefully there will be more research in this area.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Lyn;
         I am not so sure about fish oil/vit.D.You need to look at the other side of the coin.Dr t.Marshall says it does more harm than good   http://www.marshallprotocol.com  I know I did not improve until I knocked down my very high D1,25.At this point I am neither for or against vit D as it is all so confusing.T.M is a molecular biologist and has been studying this for years so I kind of lean to his side.
                           Lynne

Lyn_x
    Participant

The particular fish oil I take does not contain vitamin D–and this is backed up by blood tests. 

The V-D issue is very interesting since I tracked my flares in regards to V-D exposure and it is highly correlated for at least 20 years–and very possibly most of my life.  Also my blood profiles suggest the D link since I am chronically low in 25-OH and very high in 1,25.

In the summer of 2008, I was prescribed high levels of V-D (to 'fix' the low 25 OH) and had a serious flare in the fall 2008.  I subsequently eliminated all dietary D and reduced sun exposure.  I noticed mild improvement.  In January 2009, I was prescribed Plaquenil and my fatigue levels improved dramatically and have been improving since. Incidentally, Plaquenil inhibits the conversion of 25-OH to 1,25.

I remain on the low vitamin D intake–minimal to no dietary exposure and reduced sun exposure through adjusted activities and clothing.  When I mentioned the adverse affect of the Vitamin D, the rheumy (non-AP) dismissed it, but consulted her attending (she was a resident)–the attending confirmed that 'some people with autoimmune illnesses have adverse affects to dietary Vitamin D' and that stopped them pushing more supplements.

As for the fish oil, the AP doctor, the ophthalmologist, and another primary seemed to think that the fish oil has moderated the worse affects of the SLE–keeping inflammation levels down.  I read a great deal of MP and agree that supplements can have unintended effects–and as such, am really cautious.  At one point, I decided to go off the fish oil (because of MP), however my ESR jumped significantly and some of the SLE symptoms strengthened (not herx like, but sle-like).  I'm really not brave enough to go off it completely just yet…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘ Another reason for fish oil’ is closed to new replies.