Home Forums General Discussion Anemia

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Lizz
    Participant

I'm scared and need some support. Last December, I turned up suddenly anemic. I started taking slo-fe and /or feo sol in April. My iron levels continue to drop. The doc called me last night and wants me to schedule a colonoscopy and endoscopy as soon as they can do it. He says I'm either bleeding somewhere or it's the RA and I'm not absorbing the iron (leaky gut?) He says if the scopes don't find anything I'll have to supplementation by IV. I had a sygmoidoscopy 3 years ago and it was clear. Does anyone have any thoughts on this. I take voltaren morning and night and am down to 2mg pred. He says it's possible that this over serveral months could be the problem. I don't know what to think..

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=48]Lizz[/user] wrote:

I'm scared and need some support. Last December, I turned up suddenly anemic. I started taking slo-fe and /or feo sol in April. My iron levels continue to drop. The doc called me last night and wants me to schedule a colonoscopy and endoscopy as soon as they can do it. He says I'm either bleeding somewhere or it's the RA and I'm not absorbing the iron (leaky gut?) He says if the scopes don't find anything I'll have to supplementation by IV. I had a sygmoidoscopy 3 years ago and it was clear. Does anyone have any thoughts on this. I take voltaren morning and night and am down to 2mg pred. He says it's possible that this over serveral months could be the problem. I don't know what to think..

Lizz, I'm so sorry to hear of this latest challenge…like you need this like a hole in the head right? 🙁

There are different kinds of anemia…one that comes to mind is pernicious anemia due to an inability to absorb B12 efficiently. This type does not respond to iron supplementation. This link is pretty good in explaining the ins and outs of this type of anemia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pernicious_anemia

I think it's really important to evaluate other gastointestinal causes of anemia (like an ulcer of some kind), but try not to let the colonoscopy worry you. We're both at the age when we're going to be called in for one of those soon, anyway, and it's a good idea to have one done. My brother who is 4 years younger than me had a routine colonoscopy done recently and they found polyps that were easily and painlessly removed during the procedure. I'm sure your doc is just covering all the corners for you to rule out other possibilities, which is a good thing as it can then be resolved in a timely way.

If nothing obvious is found by the procedure, (and you know I'm just a fellow patient here, but…) I'd look into pernicious anemia as a cause. Also, I know you've been on babesia tx, but this organism can wreak absolute havoc to RBCs and the spleen (hemolytic anemia). I think you'd know if you had this type of anemia, though, as it tends to produce port wine-colored urine. Interestingly, our old labrador had this and the treatment was steroids and antibiotics, which resolved the problem. In retrospect, I believe she had Lyme arthritis and babesia all along, though. :doh:

You'll be in my thoughts, Lizz…please let us know how you get on with the colonocopy and endoscopy. As far as I know, you're in a nice twilight sleep, so one is none the worse for wear having these done. Maybe the not so nice part of the colonoscopy is doing the colon cleanse the night before, but I've done epsom salt cleanses as part of doing liver flushes, so it's really no worse than that…you just need to go to the bathroom a lot. 😉

Peace, Maz

m.
    Participant

Hi Liz, both my serum iron and ferritin began to drop like a rock after a few months of my taking aspirin too generously.

I stopped the aspirin, and began taking Gentle Iron & DGL licorice. My numbers have been improving.

Are you taking anything that might cause internal bleeding in the GI tract? Any reason your MD is suggesting a scope over a stool test/occult bleeding test?

Does your MD check ferritin, along with serum iron, plus CBC?

Have you been having unusually heavy periods?

Kim
    Participant

[user=27]Maz[/user] wrote:

There are different kinds of anemia…one that comes to mind is pernicious anemia due to an inability to absorb B12 efficiently. This type does not respond to iron supplementation. This link is pretty good in explaining the ins and outs of this type of anemia.

Lizz,

I too am anemic and have an absorption problem which I can't seem to get a grip on.  Every other day I do a B-12 injection.  Everything helps, but still haven't found the magic bullet.  Let us know if you do. 😉

kim

superperroRA
    Participant

RA will make you mildly anemic. If it's more serious than mild, you might have bleeding stomach ulcers. Voltaren pills, like most non-cox 2 nsaids, will give you ulcers. You can take a daily prilosec 20mg (or generic equivalent) to cure the ulcers and prevent future ones. Or you could take the voltaren in suppositories like I do (much easier on the stomach than the pills), or you could do both.

I end this by cutting/pasting my usual advice to people with RA:

IMP: Make sure you get tested for Lyme (by one of the standard labs like Quest, or
    preferably by IGENEX)

For RA:

You need to take an anti-inflammatory besides the minocin.
    I would avoid methotrexate and prednisone like the plague.

I would give a trial to all 3 of the following NSAIDs as soon as possible.

Mobic, Celebrex and Voltaren.

Different nsaids work differently for different people. That
    is why I advise you to try each for a few days. (Taking
    two different nsaids at the same time is dangerous.
    You can rotate them though).

I find that for me Mobic does nothing (some people find it highly effective.)
    For me, Celebrex works okay, and voltaren works great.

Celebrex and Mobic are COX2 so they are milder on the stomach,
    but they can cause strokes.

Voltaren is not COX2 so it is harsher on the stomach but less
    likely to give strokes.

Many people take prilosec (or some other proton pump inhibitor)
    to protect the stomach lining from the nsaids. The nsaids tell
    the stomach to produce less mucus, and the mucus is what protects
    the stomach lining from the gastric acid. The prilosec reduces the gastric
    acid.

Taking an NSAID in pill form  means 100% concentration reaches the stomach,
    whereas taking it as suppository means much less (let's guess 50%
    concentration reaches the stomach).  So, besides taking prilosec,
    taking the NSAID as suppository can help reduce
    ulcers. That's why I take my Voltaren in suppository form

Celebrex is real expensive in the US, but you can buy it for 1/5 the price
    in Canada (for example, at buylowdrugs)

Voltaren suppositories are not available in the US, but
    can be purchased in Canada (for example, at buylowdrugs)

Lizz
    Participant

Hi m. , I've been on voltaren 2xday for months. Also, I take anywhere between 2-5 mg. of pred a day. Doc says I lose 2 tsp of blood a day with each voltaren and some more with the pred. They check my ferritin and iron binding. I've lost another pint in the last month even though taking slo-fe, which I'm obviously not absorbing. So off to the scope I go. I'm post menopausal so nothing there. I just hate doing this because I know it will send me into a flare, not to mention the anxiety of it all.

Maz and Kim, thanks for thinking of me, these diseases really have so many layers of distress, sometimes I'm just not up for the fight!:crying:

m.
    Participant

Lizz, I'm really sorry you're going through this.

I was scared to give up the aspirin. It was helping so much with my joint pain.
    The odd thing was when I gave it up, I felt fine. The joint pain was completely managable.

I'm wishing the same positive outcome for you!

Parisa
    Participant

My husband has been anemic and we place the blame on the Babesia.  Treating the babesia has really helped.

I don't know if you have heavy periods but according to Dr. Stengler's book, The Natural Physcian's Healing Therapies, being anemic can actually cause heavier bleeding and thus even more anemia. 

He recommends: 

Vitamin C  (200 mg) with iron to improve its absorption

folic acid

vitamin B12

homeopathic ferrum phos 6x

yellow dock and nettles (to help build blood)

vitex (a herb) to help balance hormones (that's if the anemia is due to heavy       periods).

The following can block absorption:

calcium carbonate

magnesium

zinc

antibiotics (take iron a couple hours afterward)

Good forms of supplemental iron:

iron citrate

iron glycinate

iron succinate

iron fumarate

Ferrous Sulfate is Not recommended (although it is commonly prescribed, of course!)

Good sources of iron: 

beef, organ meats and eggs.  These provide heme iron which is easier absorbed.

lima beans, tofu, legumes, kelp, green leafy vegetables, whole grains, pumpkin and nuts.  These provide nonheme iron is less easily absorbed than heme iron.

I hope you get  a handle on the anemia.  It can be a real pain.

Deb-AZ
    Participant

[user=48]Lizz[/user] wrote:

Lizz,

I've had chronic anemia for a few years now.  Poor absorption.  When the doc recommended IV iron, I balked.  Started seeing a naturopath 8 months ago.  She gave me a supplement called Hemovar 2capsules daily.  Last blood test showed I was just above the anemic line.

Deb

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘ Anemia’ is closed to new replies.