Home Forums General Discussion amoxicillin

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    froggy
    Participant

Can I still take my mino when I am taking amoxilcillin?  The Doc didn't say anything and she knows I take mino, but I thought I read somewhere that I couldn't. 

Eggs
    Participant

I was under the impression the mino stops the amoxi from working…

Chloramphenicol, macrolides, sulfonamides, and tetracyclines may interfere with the bactericidal effects of penicillin. This has been demonstrated in vitro; however, the clinical significance of this interaction is not well documented.

I copy and pasted that from this site under interactions…

http://www.rxlist.com/amoxicillin-drug.htm

when i took amoxi i stopped the mino but you may want to ask your pharmacists to double check.

[user=351]froggy[/user] wrote:

Can I still take my mino when I am taking amoxilcillin?  The Doc didn't say anything and she knows I take mino, but I thought I read somewhere that I couldn't. 

I take a Cephalosporin which is a type of penicillin on the same day but two hours later.   If you have any problems and have to keep taking both maybe that would be an option to ask the Dr. about.  I have been doing it for years and tried to stop the ceph. twice,  each time with disasterous results so I will never try again. I need it so I just have to take both.   I would not think you would take the mino and amox both together.

If you need it now it is possible that you need it long term so think about that option.

Other than being  a disappointment there have never been any problems just the usual ramping up slowly.

A systemic antifungal daily will also be needed for you as well as the probiotic.

richie
    Participant

Hi
    Muinocin interferes with the action and effectiveness of amoxicillin –many doctors are not aware of this but a pharmacist who is on the ball should alert you !!!
    Richie

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

I found out a few months ago that the cillins and tetracyclines are contraindicated. I would not take both together. I would check with your pharmacist how much window of separation you need between them or whether you need to briefly halt the mino whilst on amoxycillin. Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Searched for this re drug interactions. See below for the extract and extract and the link to the site. Lynnie

GENERALLY AVOID: Tetracyclines may reduce the effect of penicillins by inhibiting cellular protein synthesis which is necessary for cell wall synthesis inhibition by penicillins. Antagonism is more likely when low doses of either agent are administered. Therapeutic failure may result.MANAGEMENT: This combination should be avoided if possible.Taken from: http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/amoxicillin_d00088_tetracycline_d00041.html

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

froggy
    Participant

hmm.  I guess I will be w/o minp for 14 days then.  Yikes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘ amoxicillin’ is closed to new replies.