Home Forums General Discussion Alinia

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Roz
    Participant

Hi Folks,

I have R/A because of Lyme Disease.

I have been treating a yeast infection at the moment, but I am supposed to start Alinia.

My insuranse company will not cover it, it's 1,200 dollars for a month's supply. Is their another alternative?

Hugs, Roz

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

Roz,

Is the prescribing doctor insisting on Brand?  I just checked out some of the canadian pharmacy online prices for generic and it is not cheap, but no where near $1,500.  The Brand on the other hand is very costly, even from Canada.

Cheryl

Roz
    Participant

Thanks Cheryl,

Their is no generic available in the States according to my pharmacists. Alinia has really helped some, but not others. My Doc thought it would be a good med. for me. It's supposed to help Babs., and the L forms of Lyme.

I just could never afford several months at 1,200, that is the price for only 60 tablets. I am a single parent.

I really appreciate your help.

Hugs, Roz

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=1758]Roz[/user] wrote:

I have been treating a yeast infection at the moment, but I am supposed to start Alinia.

My insuranse company will not cover it, it's 1,200 dollars for a month's supply. Is their another alternative?

Hi Roz,

I believe LLMDs will use Flagyl and Tinidazole as alternatives. Alinia is effective and used for pediatric cases, so probably a milder version of the latter two, but not so good if it's heavy on the old pocket. My LLMD said he prefers Tinidazole over Flagyl as mice studies showed some potential for carcinogenicity (interestingly, not in hamsters, though). Human studies are thin on the ground for these drugs used in the longer term, I gather, so I think I'd personally pick Tinidazole over Flagyl for longer term use based on what my doc said, but I haven't really researched any deeper or know the costs involved with these two alternatives as I haven't used them yet…I think it may be my next step, as I've been on Moxatag for a while, which pushes Lyme into its cystic form and these drugs are used for cyst-busting, too. I understand that they can produce heavy herxing in some folk.

Mepron (aka “liquid gold”) is also used for babesia, but is so expensive that I think folk will use Malarone as an alternative.

There are side-effects with all these alternatives, so worth reading up on all before choosing.

Hopefully others will respond with their experience of these drugs. Parisa has mentioned that her hubby did very well on IV Flagyl.

Peace, Maz

Roz
    Participant

Hi Maz,

I really am thankful for your wisdom.  I have taken Flagyl a bit here and their. But I am very concerned about nerve damage to the small nerve fibers which I have some of already.

At my last appointment my LLMD mentioned a med called Metanx to me. It's used mostly for diabetic neuropathy. It is supposed to be able to help nerve damage, have you heard of it before?

I have never taken Malarone, but that could really be an awesome plan. Thanks so much.

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=1758]Roz[/user] wrote:

I have taken Flagyl a bit here and their. But I am very concerned about nerve damage to the small nerve fibers which I have some of already.

At my last appointment my LLMD mentioned a med called Metanx to me. It's used mostly for diabetic neuropathy. It is supposed to be able to help nerve damage, have you heard of it before?

Hi Roz,

I'm sorry – no, I haven't heard of Metanx before in the treatment of Lyme, but it sounds more like a drug to manage symptoms of neuropathy.

If you have nerve damage, you might be interested to do some research on low dose naltrexone, which has been used in patients with neurological problems and it comes with few, if any, side-effects. Apparently, it's been quite miraculous for reversing all kinds of neurological damage caused by diseases such as MS, ALS, Parkinson's, etc. Here is a link:

http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org/

Just wonder if it's worth mentioning as an alternative to your LLMD?

A good place to ask about babesia meds are on the http://www.lymenet.org discussion forum. You might be able to do a search on past threads to see what the experiences of others have been on malarone.  

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi

All the best, Roz…please let us know how you get on!

Peace, Maz

Parisa
    Participant

Roz,

My husband's insurance never authorized Alinia either but he managed to get better without it.  His babesia protocol included Zithromax, malarone, flagyl, clindamycin, qualaquine, mepron . The clindamycin/qualaquine really put the final touches on knocking out the babesia.  I will always wonder if we could have started with that and been just as successful.  Maybe in a few more years they will have more data and be able to figure out which strains react better to which drugs.

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=13]Parisa[/user] wrote:

Maybe in a few more years they will have more data and be able to figure out which strains react better to which drugs.

Yea, that's a very good point, Parisa…there are some more virulent strains of babesia out there and some more straightforward to treat than others.

Peace, Maz

superperroRA
    Participant

From
    http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1836171
    posted on  Jan   2010

Normally I would not post a thread on “Cheap meds from Mexico” but I did start shopping around some of my medications and found my Cytomel for around 80% off from what I was paying in the USA. Also another drug “Alinia” is $10 for what would cost $120.

So,  if you  can shed the unreasonable? racist?  attitude of   many Americans   towards Mexican  medicines, you can get Alinia very cheaply from Mexico, and  other third-world  countries  were it is  used  to   treat  gastrointestinal infections.  I've also read  in  wikipedia that it has almost no serious side  effects,  so it  is  recommended even for children
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitazoxanide

Roz
    Participant

Thanks soo much for your help. I don't know what I would do without your help and knowledge.

Much Love

Roz
    Participant

Hi Folks,

I just ordered it from a Pharmacy in Canada.

Has anyone taken this med. before?

Hugs, Roz

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘ Alinia’ is closed to new replies.