Home Forums General Discussion Aerobic exercises are NOT allowed

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Todd WI
    Participant

I've often wondered about the role of exercise in our diseases.  A number of people here have said they were into some hard core exercising when they first got sick.  I know I was very active.  I remember going to give blood and the lady looked at me like I was some kind of freak when she measured my resting heart rate in the mid 40's.  So did the exercise actually contribute to me getting sick???

Anyhow, here's some food for thought from a Lyme treatment guideline, No aerobic exercise permitted:

http://www.immed.org/treatment%20considerations/2.2.09Updates/Lyme_Burrascano_10_2008.pdf

[align=left]“…Although the scientific basis for the benefits of exercises is not known, there are several reasonable theories. It is known that Bb will die if exposed to all but the tiniest oxygen concentrations. If an aggressive exercise program can increase tissue perfusion and oxygen levels, then this may play a role in what is being seen. Also, during aggressive exercise, the core body temperature can rise above 102 degrees; it is known that B. burgdorferi is very heat sensitive. Perhaps it is the added tissue oxygenation, or higher body temperature, or the combination that weakens the Lyme Borrelia, and allows the antibiotics and our defenses to be more effective. Regular exercise-related movements can help mobilize lymph and enhance circulation. In addition, there is now evidence that a carefully structured exercise program may benefit T-cell function: this function will depress for 12 to 24+ hours after exercise, but then rebound. This T-cell depression is more pronounced after aerobics which is why aerobics are not allowed…”[/align]

Todd

mschmidt
    Participant

Todd,

I've read that as well, and was extremely active for 20 years prior to getting sick.  I actually was training for a marathon when I started to get my first symptoms.  I've continued to exercise through the worst of my pain–walking, even though this doesn't feel like exercise to me…just to keep my body moving.  Now that I've been diagnosed with Lyme Disease on top of my Scleroderma, I can see the importance of wanting to heat the body up, detoxing by sweating, and keeping strength and endurance.  I'm going to start lifting weights again next week, and ramp up my walking .  I've been somewhat afraid of doing cardio too much because of what I've read about aerobic exercise and Lyme disease.  However, since I have such low blood pressure and body temperature, the only way for me to sweat is either in the sauna, a hot bath, or getting on the elliptical machine.  Without sweating, how are you supposed to eliminate the toxins?  Personally, I think that exercise and diet are just as important as the drugs to treat disease.  I pushed myself through the terrible pain l had last year, and I believe I'm recovering faster because of it–just my opinion.:D

Maria

Kim
    Participant

Hey Todd,

This question comes up a lot around here.  We all know the importance of exercise on so many levels.  I try to use common sense……..just do something to move each day whether I feel like it or not, but the more intense exercise I use the amount of time it takes me to recover as my barometer.  If it takes more than a day to recover, I've overdone it and it sets me back.  It used to take 2+ days and that was not good.  Depleting your body of energy that is needed to heal makes no sense, so listen to your body and push a little beyond your comfort zone, but not too much.

Having said that, I didn't listen to any of my own advice yesterday and totally overdid it hauling 40# bags of soil! :doh:   When will I every learn?

Take care…….kim

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

Kim,

Is #40 another way of saying 40lbs?  Gulp!  If so, you are my hero!

Todd,

I know Dr B recommends exercise, just not aroebic.  I use a rebounder to get up my cardiovascular and alternate 3 mins jumping with 1 min strength-training with my “1 lb weights”………Kim, are you impressed?:D

Ha-ha!  My doctor told me 1lb is too much for rheumatoid joints.  I didn't tell her about the 40lb bales of hay I drag, lift, shove in the wintertime to feed my horses or the 11 lb saddle I use or the amount of yanking my 900lb horse can do when I lift his feet to clean them, etc. 

I do yoga to keep my muscles supple and I love my new FIR sauna for sweat.

Pretty much, my endurance is where it was before I got sick.  Just I am 4 yrs older now so I move a little slower. 

I too was an extreme athlete before I got sick and definitely feel that and job stress weakened my immune system to the point of illness.

Susan

Eva Holloway
    Participant

All,

I used to pack boxes in a warehouse for a living and 50 or 60 lbs where the norm. No problems, now if I manage a bag of dogfood that is 12 lbs I do good, and that is not every day either. I am a whimp now:crying: My muscle strength has gone down hill. I am somewhat better then I have been.

Eva:(

Eva Holloway

Kim
    Participant

[user=86]Susan Lyme/RA[/user] wrote:

Kim,

Is #40 another way of saying 40lbs?  Gulp!  If so, you are my hero!

I know Dr B recommends exercise, just not aroebic.  I use a rebounder to get up my cardiovascular and alternate 3 mins jumping with 1 min strength-training with my “1 lb weights”………Kim, are you impressed?:D

Ha-ha!  My doctor told me 1lb is too much for rheumatoid joints.  I didn't tell her about the 40lb bales of hay I drag, lift, shove in the wintertime to feed my horses or the 11 lb saddle I use or the amount of yanking my 900lb horse can do when I lift his feet to clean them, etc. 

I do yoga to keep my muscles supple and I love my new FIR sauna for sweat.

Pretty much, my endurance is where it was before I got sick.  Just I am 4 yrs older now so I move a little slower. 

I too was an extreme athlete before I got sick and definitely feel that and job stress weakened my immune system to the point of illness.

Susan, yes it was 20 40-lb bags and today I had to buy 5 more to complete the job, but they'll have to wait for tomorrow.  When I first got sick I was dx'd with RA first because of my hands so I do have some finger joint damage and that is what took the hit from my project.  The weight isn't as much a problem as squeezing my fingers to hold onto the floppy bag.  Not doing outdoor things would drive me insane so that is not an option.

We seem to have an identical exercise routine.  I love yoga and the rebounding (really makes you tired, doesn't it?)   And, I have another sweaty friend, so that's great! 😉

I was never an extreme athlete, but have always been very active so the last four years have been frustrating to say the least.  What impresses me is someone riding a horse for 50 miles, or cutting and loading truckloads of wood!  There's not enough Advil in the world for that!  Guess I should consider your point that I'm four years older too. :doh:

Take care…….kim

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘ Aerobic exercises are NOT allowed’ is closed to new replies.