Home Forums General Discussion About to Start the AP

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    katieb
    Participant

Hi Road-Backers !

Can't believe I am saying this – I actually have the minocyclene in my hand and just have to start taking it ! It's not Minocin but another brand-name one called Sebomin, which is modified-release and looks to be about the same. Hopefully it is. My GP gave me it totally unexpectedly – I think mostly to get rid of me (appointments are only meant to be 10 minutes long !) However, she is not experienced, so probably won't be able to offer much advice – that's where this wonderful forum will be such a Godsend !

I'm going to start on 100mg MWF.

I have been on the diet suggested by Dr Mercola (there or therabouts) ie low sugar/starch, massive quantities of veggies etc, for a few weeks already, but now that I am about to embark on this perhaps I ought to try to stick to it more rigidly. I have been eating oats for instance, which I don't think are gluten free. How important is the gluten free aspect, and is this perhaps more important than certain other very restrictive things about the diet eg no root vegetables /bananas /coffee ?

All advice greatly welcomed !

Katie

Jennhere
    Participant

I believe gluten free is important.  Oats CAN be gluten free if they've been processed properly.  In the health food stores, they have some new oats that are certified GLUTEN FREE with safe growing/storing procedures.  Also, if you go to Celiac.com you'll get lots of consistent, reliable advice on the Gluten free diet.  Many there are very comfortable eating the McCann's Steel Cut Oats. 

As far as the gluten goes, it's a specific protein that is clearly a problem for many.  The science backs up the problems caused by gluten.  I never understood the other food issues…like bananas.  Unless it's an allergy or an intolerance, I don't always agree with the food removal programs. 

Jenn

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Katie – you will get alot of varying answers to this. So, a few options: consult a professional (maybe even Dr H?), stick to Mercola (he's had a great deal of success I believe with diet alone and RA patients). Or you could try eliminating dairy and gluten – both of these are known to be so widely indicated in joint pain. However, not sure what your weight is but gluten-free almost always seems to result in weight loss, so you need to watch this. I believe Mercola's site does address this somewhere. There is also good info on gluten-free at an AP doc's site http://www.drrima.com (where she discusses the entire wheat sensitivity/celiac syndrome topic). Best to you. Lynnie

PS Minocin is the brand name of the drug in the U.S.  and this varies from country to country

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

katieb
    Participant

Hi Jenn & Lynnie,

Many thanks for this very useful info. I was not aware of the celiac connection, and am very interested in it, as although I am not aware of any of my relatives having had RA, my maternal grandmother did have celiac sensitivity.

Katie

Lizz
    Participant

Lynnie – on the diet issue is yogurt ok or is it considered dairy? I've heard differing views on this. Thanks!!

greeno
    Participant

I suggest doing an elimination diet, this is because you will get many different views on what to eat, and what not to. If you only eliminate a few things you may find this helps, but you could still be consuming some problem foods.

Food is an individual thing, it's common knowledge that sugar, grains, pulses, dairy and nightshades are the main culprites, but not everyone will be affected by exactly the same foods within this group.
    For example most people say stay away from nightshade vegetables, which is good advise; however from doing the diet I identified only tomotoes that make my joints hurt. I can eat Aubergine, potatoes, and peppers till the cows come home!

I followed the diet recommended by Robert McFerran, and because of it I have been able to identify exactly which foods set off the RA.

http://www.frot.co.nz/dietnet/reviews/mcferran01.htm

Hope this helps.

JBJBJB
    Participant

anti-inflammatory diet!

Yam is not only great for gut, also is anti-inflammatory food. My kids hate it, but I serve it at least once a week. I eat all the leftovers :roll-laugh:

:JB 

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Katieb – yogurt is dairy. I'm not allowed on a dairy-free diet. Greeno makes sense because it is true that not everyone has sensitivities to the same things. However, cow's milk and gluten are a pretty safe bet to cut out. Plus, when people say to eat as fresh and organic as possible, it's very sensible. It's what we DO to our food these days as much as the food itself. So, cut out as much in the way as preservatives as possible. On that score, it's generally the sulphites that are the problem. Below is a fact sheet on sulphites – again from that wonderful site http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info that is run by Sue Dengate (allergy clinic Royal Prince Alfred Hospital Sydney). Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ About to Start the AP’ is closed to new replies.